Sydney Technical High School - Entering Year 11 (HELP) (1 Viewer)

SpiralFlex

HSC
N/A
I took the test last year, it was not that difficult if you study right. The Mathematics section was more of science section. For the English section doing comprehensive may help. Don't be nervous. Also, make sure you check that your school report is accurate. Apparently I did not get in because I had more than 3 days of absence a friend told me. If you want I can read over your application, I helped a friend draft his last year. He got in. :)

Good luck and all the best. Remember, it does not matter what school you go to, try your hardest and you will be successful.

May I also add, it is a good idea to try out for more than one school and get your $85 worth. :)

Last edited:

RivalryofTroll

Sleep Deprived Entity
HSC
Uni Grad
So English is based on comprehension mainly? Is there a writing section?
Also, for the Mathematics Section, seeing how it has a fair load of science in it, what is a sample question that you can recall?

I'D BE GRATEFUL if you read over my application (well, I haven't thought about writing it yet, but I will soon).

RivalryofTroll

Sleep Deprived Entity
HSC
Uni Grad
I took the test last year, it was not that difficult if you study right. The Mathematics section was more of science section. For the English section doing comprehensive may help. Don't be nervous. Also, make sure you check that your school report is accurate. Apparently I did not get in because I had more than 3 days of absence a friend told me. If you want I can read over your application, I helped a friend draft his last year. He got in. :)

Good luck and all the best. Remember, it does not matter what school you go to, try your hardest and you will be successful.

May I also add, it is a good idea to try out for more than one school and get your $85 worth. :)
I was thinking of trying out for Hurlstone Agricultural High School as well but the competition there is even worse. Can you recommend any other fully selective schools?

jnney

lemon
HSC
Hm, you could also give fort street a go. A gazillion peoplel try to enter year 11 each year, i think there were around 130 or so last year when i was sitting for the english and math exam. I was not accepted on the spot but i was offered an interview. I believe the only reason why i wasnt selected was because my report wasnt dazzling bright. Also, they could have been full on the subjects i selected to take - that happens too.

In general, for the interview, try to appear as open and friendly as possible - cheerful, confident, relaxed, interesting. If you feel comfortable so will the interviewer - who could be the principle, vice, or a head teacher.

They will ask you typical questions like:
-why do you want to attend sydney tech?
-what can you bring to our school?
-what are your hobbies?
-what are your aspirations in life?
-how do you think you went in your test/comments on your report

Preprepare for these types of questions.

All the best.

SpiralFlex

HSC
N/A
So English is based on comprehension mainly? Is there a writing section?
Also, for the Mathematics Section, seeing how it has a fair load of science in it, what is a sample question that you can recall?

I'D BE GRATEFUL if you read over my application (well, I haven't thought about writing it yet, but I will soon).
English is comprehension and creative writing, don't write anything that is a cliche (eg. I woke up and it was all a dream). I will send you some samples if I can find any on your inbox.

Gigacube

HSC
I was thinking of trying out for Hurlstone Agricultural High School as well but the competition there is even worse. Can you recommend any other fully selective schools?
A list of all the selective high schools can be found here.

This site shows you the minimum entry scores for selective high schools. The higher the number the harder it is to get into that school.

I've heard that Caringbah High is a bit easier to get into than Sydney Technical High so you should give that a try too.

jnney

lemon
HSC
Despite the fact that my report was just okay, i still topped 30 out of all the applicants in 2010. This was a combination of the tests and a handwritten essay to a question provided for everyone, which is handed in before the test. So a long as you do well in these sectiobs you will have a big chance.

The maths test is not hard, but very time consuming. I think i only managed to complete about 80% of the test or so. I doubt anyone walked out completing it entirely. I recommened that you thoroughly revise all the year 10 content. If you read somrthing a few times
you still dont get it,
move on. There's no time to waste.

But yes, in the end My report was what divided me from others who were also interviewed.

The english test difficult for most students, but if you can interpret texts and justify pretty well, write arguments, articles etc etc you'll be fine.

Last edited:

SpiralFlex

HSC
N/A
PMed. I was tutoring a friend or rather helping them get in. Ironically he got in, I didn't. So have faith. :)

Tip: Do some research on the school. If they ever ask you what you know about the school.

Last edited:

RivalryofTroll

Sleep Deprived Entity
HSC
Uni Grad
Despite the fact that my report was just okay, i still topped 30 out of all the applicants in 2010. This was a combination of the tests and a handwritten essay to a question provided for everyone, which is handed in before the test. So a long as you do well in these sectiobs you will have a big chance.

The maths test is not hard, but very time consuming. I think i only managed to complete about 80% of the test or so. I doubt anyone walked out completing it entirely. I recommened that you thoroughly revise all the year 10 content. If you read somrthing a few times
you still dont get it,
move on. There's no time to waste.

But yes, in the end My report was what divided me from others who were also interviewed.

The english test difficult for most students, but if you can interpret texts and justify pretty well, write arguments, articles etc etc you'll be fine.
When you mean Year 10 Content for Mathematics, what does this include?
Because, different schools go at different speeds and do different topics in different orders.
I think I've done most of the Year 10 Mathematics syllabus outside of school except for Circle Geometry (which I'm currently starting at school) (and Circle Geo can be considered a year 11 preliminary topic cause some schools do not do it until Year 11, this also applies to polynomials and logarithms (although I've already covered most parts for these two topics))

Also, which do you guys think weighs more towards acceptance for enrolment?
The examination or supporting evidence?

SpiralFlex

HSC
N/A
When you mean Year 10 Content for Mathematics, what does this include?
Because, different schools go at different speeds and do different topics in different orders.
I think I've done most of the Year 10 Mathematics syllabus outside of school except for Circle Geometry (which I'm currently starting at school) (and Circle Geo can be considered a year 11 preliminary topic cause some schools do not do it until Year 11, this also applies to polynomials and logarithms (although I've already covered most parts for these two topics))

Also, which do you guys think weighs more towards acceptance for enrolment?
The examination or supporting evidence?
There is no need to learn Year 11 Mathematics for the Sydney Technical High School test. Last year's exam was based on logic.

SpiralFlex

HSC
N/A
Phew! But does that mean it's harder to revise for it?
Mainly on skills. However, I would urge you to keep learning the beautiful art of Mathematics. I started the 3 unit course Year 11 during Years 8 - 9, found it very beneficial for stage 6.

Last edited:

jnney

lemon
HSC
In total i think around 15 were accepted, im not so sure. If you score brilliantly in the test and the essay, I think you get accepted immediately. However, for the others in the top 30, that's where the report really starts to account for your chances. Some people get told 'if you dont score over 90 in the sc we wont accept you' and such.

The maths test will cover the simple topics that everybody has covered. Things like graphs, algebra, congruency etc

GenY

HSC
Ruse took in 36 year 11 newbys last year,why don't you try out....

Saturn WY15

HSC
Here is my advice to you from a person who got in Fort Street at yr 11 .

TEST

MATHS
- REVISE ALL SYLLABUS CONTENT

( GEOMETRY ( e.g having 3 points of parallelogram and finding the 4th point was a question in last year test ) , ALGEBRA ( e.g simultaneous equations ), TRIGONOMETRY, STATISTIC, etc )

ENGLISH
- TWO SECTION
- COMPREHENSION ON A TEXT
( MC, SHORT ANSWERS ( e.g what is the purpose of the composer, how does text express it purpose ( techniques, first personal - personal response )
- WRITING SECTION
( YOU MAY HAVE TO WRITE ON ONE OF THE FOLLOWING TEXT TYPE )
- short story
- feature article
- speech
- news report
- essay
- recount
( LAST YEARS TEXT WAS A FEATURE ARTICLE )
NOTE : DO WELL IN THIS TRY PRACTICE, PRACTICE, PRACTICE. Simple but hard to do.

INTERVIEW

SCHOOL REPORT

- TRY DO AS WELL AS YOU CAN IN ALL SUBJECTS ( THIS IS IMPORTAT BECAUSE IT COULD BE THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN GETTING IN OR NOT )

OTHER ACTIVITES/EXTRA CURRICULUM
-THIS IS IMPORTANT YOU DO OTHER THAN ACADEMIA E.g ( SRC, RED SHIELD APPEAL, 40 HR FAMINE ). THIS DIFFERENTIATE INDIVIDUAL WHO HAVE THE SAME MARK/SIMILAR.

TIP
1. IN ORDER TO GET IN YOU MUST DO THIS AS LONG TERM COMMITMENT
( E.G SPEND 2-3HRS A DAY PRACTICING )
2. RELAX
( It's just a test and by no means going to a selective school guarantee to be a better school )
3. PRACTICE ENGLISH & KEEPING WRITING (MOST INDIVIDUALS WEAKEST AREA'S )

GOOD LUCK:music:

jnney

lemon
HSC
Co curricular..not necessarily, report is your ultimate priority.

RivalryofTroll

Sleep Deprived Entity
HSC
Uni Grad
Bumpin this back up, to ask some quick questions about the supporting evidence section!

Summarise your performance in academic subjects at school, highlighting academic excellence.
(Photocopies of award certificates may be attached. > What can this include? (Merit Certificates, Semester Awards, etc.?) Am I allowed to (Or is it wise to) include certificates/evidence for more previous years (Year 7 and 8 including 9 and 10 of course)?

Summarise your achievements in competitions (optional).
(Photocopies of award certificates may be attached.) > What can this include besides Mathematics, Science, English, etc competitions? (I only remember getting a credit for the year 8 mathematics comp, excluding the distinction in maths comp I received in Year 6 xD)
Can this include the following:
Participation in Science and Engineering Challenge 2011 (My School was runner-up in our region)
Participation in ASX Game 2010

Summarise your achievements in music (optional)
I've been playing the Guitar for like 2+ years. How should I state this?

Summarise your achievements in debating, public speaking, dramatic performance (optional).
I regret not taking up debating, what should I do for this section? Is it wise to leave this section blank? D:

Summarise your achievements in student leadership
What can this include because I am not really involved in student leadership at my school.

Summarise your achievements in school service.
What can this include? (Same reasoning - not being involved much)

Summarise your achievements in community service
What can this include? (Same reasoning - not being involved much)

Summarise your achievements in sport (optional)
I am part of the Inter Soccer Team of 2011 and 2009?

Summarise any other achievements (optional)
Uhhhh, I have had perfect attendance for every single year since Year 7! (I think I have received all the perfect term attendance awards xD)
Being DUX of my primary school xD
Any other examples?

Also, can anyone provide anymore advice on filling out the form and examples for the above questions?

Preparing for Entrance Exam!
I believe that the Fort Street Exam and the Sydney Tech Exam are different so don't tell me to study ALOT of syllabus based content when the Sydney Tech is comprised more of logic based mathematics questions!

English -
Creative Writing - Do I keep practising writing good short stories? (Maybe, memorize the story (or story line) and the characters involved before the examination?)
Comprehension - Where can I find good practice papers on comprehension that may be similar to the Sydney Tech's comprehensive exams?

Mathematics (Science involved) -
Mainly logical - How do I study for it? Or where to find practice papers with similar format/questions?

Also, can anyone tell me if getting a B in information software technology (my class is getting re-assessed by another teacher so my grade might change to an A) will affect my chances of getting in?

Last edited:

nametaken

HSC
N/A
Applying for Hurlstone wouldn't hurt. I personally did the test when I was in year 9 (2009) only because my brother suggested it. With absolutely no study prior to the examination and a disgraceful report (no A's, 1 D, mostly C's hahaha I didn't care for school back then), I managed to get a priority reserve position. I got called in for an interview with the deputy, he said he'd get back to me within 2 weeks; he called me 2 hours later saying I've been accepted :p
If I can remember correctly, Hurlstone's examination had G.A., Eng, Math, Science (I think?).
But what I'm getting at is this- apply for Hurlstone. Great school :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)