evryone doing english (1 Viewer)

Lee

i kniow i should put this in the english board but lots of people don't read it and this is fairly imporant. if you are studying a text with numbers in it which are written in letters, then you must use the letters for your essay not simplify it. eg if studying 1984 you must write
"Nineteen Eghty-Four" as it is titled, not 1984
otherwise you do stand to lose a mark

afrogirl

really? we were actually told that in an exam, the markers no ur rushed for time and stressed etc., so you can write it out as "nineteen-eighty-four" and then put (1984) after it and refer to it as that for the remainder of the essay.

blake

Originally posted by Lee

"Nineteen Eghty-Four", kniow, imporant
By the looks of it you would have lost marks for the spelling errors anyhow :/

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
Originally posted by afrogirl
really? we were actually told that in an exam, the markers no ur rushed for time and stressed etc., so you can write it out as "nineteen-eighty-four" and then put (1984) after it and refer to it as that for the remainder of the essay.
yes thats wat we've been told
as long as u quote "Nineteen Eighty-Four" at the beginning, its fine

Lee

hehe...well thats just my typing and my lazyness...i can never be bothered to fix it:). anyway, i was just saying so it's what i've been told. i know you can do that for modern history and stuff but as far as my english teachers are concerned it's a 'no-no'

del

HSC
N/A
yeah same here in my trials....i wrote a number - 15 i think- and it had a nice circle around it..

yeah we get told to spell the word too....

im jess

hey everyone, i just nee a quick favour

does anyone have a good sting definition of change?? cause i need one for my trials tmr..... i have heaps for changing perspective, but i need a good one for change... the sooner the better!

ps i dont want a dictionary meaning..... thanks :)

Morgues

Change is universal and inescapable

what are some good ones for changing perspective?

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
Originally posted by liz
Just want to confirm this.
If i'm doing an essay on witness and its set in 1984 does that mean when I first make the statement of when its set i have to write the words: ninteen-eighty-four. ?? :confused:
thats a toughy, im not real sure
but im guessing for titles of text, u'd need to first state "Nineteen eighty four" but if 1984 is the date that a text was created, im pretty sure the numbers 1984 would do ?

bacco|007

Originally posted by Lee
"Nineteen Eghty-Four" as it is titled, not 1984
we were told that if you write Nineteen Eighty-Four (1984) for the first time you use it - you can then use 1984 throughout your writing

also Brave New World (BNW) is accepted.

You can also shorten titles the speeches (Module B) but you need to use elipsis points (you can also refer to them as [lastname]'s speech or address

Soap

HSC
Its good that you can shorten the text titles in the actual body. I mean some of John Donne's poetry titles go on for ages...

Holy Sonnets: Batter my heart, three-person'd God
Good Friday, Sixteen Thirteen. Riding Westward

for example

bacco|007

Originally posted by Soap
Its good that you can shorten the text titles in the actual body. I mean some of John Donne's poetry titles go on for ages...

Holy Sonnets: Batter my heart, three-person'd God
Good Friday, Sixteen Thirteen. Riding Westward

for example
I think it's unfair if they dock you marks for it - they are looking at your content and not if you can write the name of a text

Lee

Originally posted by liz
Just want to confirm this.
If i'm doing an essay on witness and its set in 1984 does that mean when I first make the statement of when its set i have to write the words: ninteen-eighty-four. ?? :confused:

well it depedns what the book says. if it says
"once upon a time in 1984" then it ids ok to use 1984.
if it says,
"once upon a time innineteen eighty-four" then you ned to spell it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)