North Sydney Girls High School vs. Hornsby Girls High School (1 Viewer)

mylifesmelody

HSC
N/A
Hey!
I'm currently in Year 10, and I have gotten into both NSGHS and HGHS and I don't know which school to go to!!! ><
I think I want to go to NSGHS more, but it's nearly an hour's travel one way (so around about 2 hrs in total) and also I come from a normal non-selective school and I don't know whether or not it will be too hard for me to catch up to the rest of my grade and also while I am not as keen to go to Hornsby Girls, its waayy closer in terms of travel and it might be easier for me to catch to the rest of the grade. I am in the top 20 in my school though (don't know the actual rank though) but I don't know if that will be good enough for both these schools. Honestly, I don't really care about the whole "prestige" of going to a higher school, but I just want to get a good atar (hopefully above 98.5 or if I am lucky, 99)
Also, if this helps, the subjects I chose for next year are:
Maths Extension 1
English Extension 1
Chem
Physics
Jap Continuers

So.... which school do you people think would be a better choice for me?

Thanks!! :)

Riproot

#MedLyf
HSC
Uni Grad
Either school is good
Figure out what you want
And
Weigh up the options
And
Decide what's best for you

Verify

HSC
An hour's travel is nothing unordinary for students who go a selective, and whether you go to NSG or Hornsby, you'll find people who take longer than you to get to school.
In my opinion you should go to the school you want to go to. I doubt going to either of these school would impact your ATAR too greatly.

MissyL

HSC
Wow nice! congratz on the nsg offer, did you get it today?

nerdasdasd

Dont.msg.me.about.english
HSC
Uni Grad
Both schools have high rankings, I doubt your atar estimate would have a huge marginal difference if you chose either of these schools. Though I would say that NSG has a higher ranking.

Choose the school which you think suits you more :D.

mylifesmelody

HSC
N/A
Thanks for the advice, looking at it all I think I might choose NSGHS, it seems like the better school for me

mylifesmelody

HSC
N/A
do you happen to know how to NSG English Faculty is? Cause apparently Hornsby's supposed to have the "best English faculty" out of all the selective schools.

abc1234567890

HSC
N/A
Hey, mylifesmelody! I also received an offer to NSGHS, and am tossing up between NSGHS and SGHS. I like NSGHS more but SGHS is closer to my house (by around 10-15 mins each way).

I'm also unsure of what subjects to do. Does anyone know which 2 subjects each school does best in out of physics, economics and modern history? So stressed because we need to make the decision by tomorrow! D:

abc1234567890

HSC
N/A
Btw I think you should go to NSGHS! :D

I haven't heard much about Hornsby, so this will probably be a biased argument, but NSGHS has a great environment; from what I've heard and the people I've seen, the students are very diligent, kind and supportive. NSGHS is also better ranked, and they do extremely well in maths and chemistry (not sure about the other subjects though). The only reason why I'm considering not going to NSGHS is because of travel (it takes almost 1.5hrs to get there from my place).

Verify

HSC
Hey, mylifesmelody! I also received an offer to NSGHS, and am tossing up between NSGHS and SGHS. I like NSGHS more but SGHS is closer to my house (by around 10-15 mins each way).

I'm also unsure of what subjects to do. Does anyone know which 2 subjects each school does best in out of physics, economics and modern history? So stressed because we need to make the decision by tomorrow! D:
I would assume Sydney Girls does better in the humanities and North Sydney doing better in the sciences.

mylifesmelody

HSC
N/A
hmmm..... really???? congrats!!! well.... sorry, I'm not sure about which schools are best for those subjects. Anyways... what subjects are you taking??

mylifesmelody

HSC
N/A
yeah... maybe ext 2 maths..... most likely not ext 2 4 english, writing a novel seems too hard core for me!! ><

rumbleroar

Survivor of the HSC
HSC
I go to NSGHS and I definitely recommend going there (there is a strong bias though) :) There are so many opportunities within senior years to excel and work towards your fullest potential. Don't be freaked out by the high achieving nature of the school because it's really a motivator to do better. Plus, everyone is generally really nice!

If you're leaning towards NSGHS more, definitely go. I travel about 2 hours everyday anyway and you get used to it :) Good luck with your choice! Feel free to PM if you have more specific questions about NSGHS.

russ3l

HSC
Hornsby girls for sure. You'll come to realise travelling 1 extra hour a day just isn't worth the potential for a 'better atar'. :)

JT145

ON is my homeboy
HSC
*waiting to get bashed*
I just feel that hornsby girls girls tend to be more slutty and of nuisance.
And well, wat bad things can I say about NSGs? :p
Mate. Don't generalise girls from one school, and especially don't generalise by saying that they are 'more slutty and of nuisance'. Come on.

We're discussing academic performance/potential, not how good looking they are.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)