Advice for Applying to St. Mary's Senior High School? (1 Viewer)

Kavaianas

HSC
Hey guys! :)

So, I'm currently in year 10 and I really want to go to SMSHS next year.
So could you tell me, how easy is it to get into SMSHS?
What advice would you give a year 10 student who is seeking to attend the school for their senior years?
What does SMSHS look for in a student? What do they prioritise when it comes down to the selection?

Thank you in advance! All help is really appreciated! ;)

Cleavage

Clarence
HSC
Uni Grad
My advice;

Don't

I hear many a bad story about SMSHS

Cleavage

Clarence
HSC
Uni Grad
What was the top ATAR your school obtained in the previous HSC

Kavaianas

HSC
Woahhhh there, wasn't expecting to be getting this. ARE YOU GUYS TROLLING OR--
Well, regardless, I really want to go to SMSHS and I really appreciate your help and errythang, like I'm sure your comments are very helpful, but I understand that SMSHS is a school for independent learners and I'm ready to take that on.
Btw, Cleavage, what do you mean by "bad stories"? o_O
And yea totes, Chifley's the greatest.

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
SMSHS look for well-rounded students. So not just smart ones, but ones that can contribute to the culture of the school by say like band or dance or stuff. Or even leadership qualities.

It's not a purely academic school, iirc it's partially selective - so... just be smart, and show them that you will add to the life of the school.

Squar3root

realest nigga
HSC
Uni Grad
^ it is a selective school in the sense that they only select the Asians. My white friend (smart and plays chess) applied and so did my Asian friend (not so great at his studies he was more social) but the asian guy got in but the white guy ended up going to the school that competes with st marys (the one in the hood)

Squar3root

realest nigga
HSC
Uni Grad
Ohh yeah that independent learning thing is true, they don't mark attendance at classes (only if you show up to school) and the teachers just give you stuff and youre expected just to learn it. The competing school (the one I went to) was more spoonfed everything to you and help you as much as possible (and I liked that)

Yeah I know that "it doesn't prepare you for uni" but you don't have to worry that's 2 years away

Kavaianas

HSC
What's this "competing school"? I don't think I've ever heard of one.

nexusbrah

Harvey Specter of IB
HSC
Woahhhh there, wasn't expecting to be getting this. ARE YOU GUYS TROLLING OR--
Well, regardless, I really want to go to SMSHS and I really appreciate your help and errythang, like I'm sure your comments are very helpful, but I understand that SMSHS is a school for independent learners and I'm ready to take that on.
Btw, Cleavage, what do you mean by "bad stories"? o_O
And yea totes, Chifley's the greatest.
I know a few people who regret going, others love it

Kavaianas

HSC
Hey guyz, thanks for all your comments! I know you are trying to help, but we're not deciding if we want to go there. We would just like to know what to do to boost our chances of getting in.

Praer

HSC
Uni Grad
Do alot of EC's and get good grades. What else would they expect?

someth1ng

Retired Nov '14
HSC
Uni Grad
SMSHS look for well-rounded students. So not just smart ones, but ones that can contribute to the culture of the school by say like band or dance or stuff. Or even leadership qualities.

It's not a purely academic school, iirc it's partially selective - so... just be smart, and show them that you will add to the life of the school.
Errr...no.

Obviously, they look at a lot of things but you don't necessarily need to be well rounded. If you're decent at academics and have not much else, that should be enough. Also, it's not a selective school, at all - you just apply and they consider you.

Anyway, SMSHS isn't very competitive - I know lots of people that got in and they weren't exceptional at academics...or anything else, really.

alvin21au

HSC
N/A
So I made this account just to post here. I'm a year 11 student at SMSHS (just started last last week :D).
I would disagree to everyone saying you'll have a horrible time here, it's just a matter of opinion I guess. IMO, it's a relaxed environment and they really emphasise the adult learning environment they have here.

Anyways, if you really want to get in, I suggest getting good grades (around B's) for semester 1 this year as they usually open up applications Term 3 or 4, meaning you'll only have your semester 1 report to show. Also, you'll have to write about why you want to get in. I'd suggest you write that you want to get in because you want to be more independent, you want to get good grades, and because you heard that St Marys Senior High is a good school to learn in. All that stuff, I can't exactly remember what I wrote for my application but it was something along the lines of what I've mentioned.

And really, the most important thing is to submit your application really really early. When they give you a reply back, it actually shows what your application number was (I was the 45th person). My friend who submitted his at the last minute didn't get accepted (he was 800 something) due to the amount of people applying to SMSHS. There's around 400 people, so only 50% get in. It shouldn't be that hard though, just get good grades and apply early.

tl;dr get good grades (B's), apply early, don't half-ass your application form where it asks you why you want to get in SMSHS.
Hope to see ya there next year ;)

EDIT: What I forgot to mention was that SMSHS doesn't only accept high-achieving academic students. If you're good at sports and you have the qualities, as someone above me has stated, you can get in.

Last edited:

Kavaianas

HSC
So I made this account just to post here. I'm a year 11 student at SMSHS (just started last last week :D).
I would disagree to everyone saying you'll have a horrible time here, it's just a matter of opinion I guess. IMO, it's a relaxed environment and they really emphasise the adult learning environment they have here.

Anyways, if you really want to get in, I suggest getting good grades (around B's) for semester 1 this year as they usually open up applications Term 3 or 4, meaning you'll only have your semester 1 report to show. Also, you'll have to write about why you want to get in. I'd suggest you write that you want to get in because you want to be more independent, you want to get good grades, and because you heard that St Marys Senior High is a good school to learn in. All that stuff, I can't exactly remember what I wrote for my application but it was something along the lines of what I've mentioned.

And really, the most important thing is to submit your application really really early. When they give you a reply back, it actually shows what your application number was (I was the 45th person). My friend who submitted his at the last minute didn't get accepted (he was 800 something) due to the amount of people applying to SMSHS. There's around 400 people, so only 50% get in. It shouldn't be that hard though, just get good grades and apply early.

tl;dr get good grades (B's), apply early, don't half-ass your application form where it asks you why you want to get in SMSHS.
Hope to see ya there next year ;)

EDIT: What I forgot to mention was that SMSHS doesn't only accept high-achieving academic students. If you're good at sports and you have the qualities, as someone above me has stated, you can get in.
WOAH THANKYUU SO MUCH. Reeally helpful.
And oops sorry for the late reply, I kinda just abandoned this thread for a while bc I didn't think people would actually give advice lawls.
BUT HERE YOU ARE YAY.
Yup, I really hope to see you next year. If I make it, just know you helped ALOOOTTT.

ss09

HSC
N/A
They normally select on the basis of behaviour and involvement within community as supposed to your academic merit like other selective schools. Other than that you should be fine, also add some certificates you achieved from your school and show that you interact well with other lol :)

It's a great school with very welcoming people and staff. The culture and warmth you receive there is amazing!! but yes you have to be independent and push yourself.

All this coming from a student who just graduated last year from there :)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

jerwin

HSC
It's an amazing school & you'll love it so much you wouldn't want to leave! :D

Best decision ever.

Kavaianas

HSC
HEY GUYZZ! I heard somewhere that in SMSHS, it is compulsory to do an after school sport!!!???!?!??!?! IS THIS TRUEEEEEEEEEEE---THIS CANT BE TRUUUUUUUU!!!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)