which selective school to choose sydney tech or sefton (1 Viewer)

downunder

HSC
N/A
My son got a score of 199.78 in the selective school tests and is on reserve list for both sydney tech and sefton high...could I get some input from forum members as to their experiences with either school...thanks in advance.

RivalryofTroll

Sleep Deprived Entity
HSC
Uni Grad
Both schools are academically great, with Sydney Tech having an edge since it is a fully selective school (however, in recent years - the difference between them has been small at times). In terms of academics, Sefton is probably the strongest partial selective school (outranking about 1-2 fully selective schools every year in recent times).

I went to Sydney Tech in Years 11 and 12. It's a great school in all areas - whether it be academics, sports, etc.

From what I hear from relatives and friends, Sefton is a great school as well.

Which school is closer for your family in terms of travel/distance? This is an important factor.

Does your son prefer a co-ed environment or does he not mind?

astroman

HSC
sydney tech ranks in at 35th with 7.38% of students being all rounders.
sefton ranks at 61st with 4.05% of students being all rounders.

Sydney tech is fully selective.
Sefton is partially selective.

Sydney tech is boys only.
Sefton is co-ed.

I personally attended a boys school for quite a bit of my high school and have recently changed to a co-ed for my senior years, i've got to say that it has been quite impacting on the way i interact with teachers and students and may be influential on study habits, etc. So just keep that in mind too. (personal but may not apply to all)

Sefton is partially selective so i presume that some students would be not as keen on studying and could be posed as distractions to others trying to succeed academically.

Sydney tech on the other hand is fully selective thus it would be presumed that all students be willing to study and focus with minimal distractions to each other. This also offers more opportunity for teachers to teach rather than tell other students that don't want to to stop talking or bludging...

But if i were you i would ask your son what his choice on co-ed and single sex school is because it could be influential when he is university or jobs, etc. Both are great schools but i would personally attend Sefton due to co-ed :hug2:

downunder

HSC
N/A
Thanks for the responses ...yes ive done my research and am aware that sydney tech is slightly better on paper than sefton. My son at this stage is not too fussed about coed ..he isnt into the ladies just yet he is still only 11.
We live in concord but I work close to sefton so the drop off for sefton would be convenient but I am leaning toward the fully selective school. Will have to look into bus services running from burwood to bexley.

astroman

HSC
Thanks for the responses ...yes ive done my research and am aware that sydney tech is slightly better on paper than sefton. My son at this stage is not too fussed about coed ..he isnt into the ladies just yet he is still only 11.
We live in concord but I work close to sefton so the drop off for sefton would be convenient but I am leaning toward the fully selective school. Will have to look into bus services running from burwood to bexley.
Great, take into consideration the travel times because you would not be wanting to waste time on transport.

enigma_1

~~~~ Miss Cricket ~~~~
HSC
Stick with Sydney Technical. Single gender school usually (not always) can yield better academic results.

RivalryofTroll

Sleep Deprived Entity
HSC
Uni Grad
Most people (if not all) would prefer co-ed (later on at least) but yeah.

Burwood to Hurstville/Sydney Tech --> there's the M90 bus iirc.

Sefton definitely seems closer/more convenient.

Stick with Sydney Technical. Single gender school usually (not always) can yield better academic results.
Maybe :haha:

(not srs)

downunder

HSC
N/A
Yes im inclined to think girls may be a distraction in year 11 and 12.
Travel time is a big one ...I assume the kids that go to these schools come from wide and far?? Or are they mostly local? ?

downunder

HSC
N/A
Is that m90 bus you refer to a designated school bus or is it a public bus??

RivalryofTroll

Sleep Deprived Entity
HSC
Uni Grad
Yes im inclined to think girls may be a distraction in year 11 and 12.
Travel time is a big one ...I assume the kids that go to these schools come from wide and far?? Or are they mostly local? ?
Like I said previously, I went to Sydney Tech and quite a few of my friends actually lived in the Hurstville/Rockdale/Blakehurst/Bexley/Kogarah region. So there are locals but quite a lot of the students would come from ''wide and far''.

Sefton is partially selective --> 50% of students being comprehensive = at least 50% of the school are locals. Also, not to mention - there is a good portion of the selective stream (Years 7 - 10) being locals (or close to 'locals') as well since Sefton is probably the best school within the area.

RivalryofTroll

Sleep Deprived Entity
HSC
Uni Grad
Is that m90 bus you refer to a designated school bus or is it a public bus??
It's a public bus.

The designated school bus is only from Hurstville station to the school.

e.g. I had to take the M91 (not M90) bus to Hurstville then from Hurstville station, I'd take the school bus to school (around 5 mins or more).

Machiavelli1

HSC
Bus route burwood to hurstville is M41. I see tons of Sydney Tech kids catch it every morning while I wait for my bus, so he won't be alone if he does get in.

downunder

HSC
N/A
Sorry so does that mean the m90 goes to hurstville station and not directly to school??
im not keen on the idea of my 11 yr old commuting on his own...decisions decisions.
Thanks guys for the great input much appreciated.

Machiavelli1

HSC
Sorry so does that mean the m90 goes to hurstville station and not directly to school??
im not keen on the idea of my 11 yr old commuting on his own...decisions decisions.
M90 goes to liverpool. Read my post above.

RivalryofTroll

Sleep Deprived Entity
HSC
Uni Grad
I'm not sure how the M41 works...

I THINK it might go directly to the school.

Your son just needs to go once or twice as a practice travel run (with the help of an adult) and he'll be fine from then on.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)