Problems With Noise While Studying (1 Viewer)

FerryBoat

HSC
Hello all,

This is my maiden post to the website but from the information I've found on here past forums have been extremely useful.

I need some advice please. I am about to start Year 12 and my major problem is the lack of a quiet work area within my household. I have a desk in my room which is close to the staircase on the second floor of my house but the walls in the house are quite thin so I can hear pretty much any noise from dishes in the kitchen, to people talking and people walking up the stairs. I go to the local library when I can but it's only open until 5:00pm which defeats the purpose of studying for the afternoon/evening. Anyways my set up in my room is quite good but the intermittent occurrences of noise cause me to lapse in concentration and affect my productivity. I am quite a high-achieving student at school with a strong work ethic but I feel if this current scenario continues my work ethic and motivation may suffer into Year 12.
I have thought about purchasing noise-cancelling headphones as a means of prevention but apart from that I am in the dark. If anyone has some advice on any effective methods it would be much appreciated.
Thanks for the advice :)

FerryBoat

HSC
I live in a regional area where all libraries in the Local Government Area shut at that specified time of 5:00pm.

Queenroot

I complete the Squar3
HSC
N/A
I live in a regional area where all libraries in the Local Government Area shut at that specified time of 5:00pm.
I meant, go to another library outside of that area.
Go to your closest uni library.

Carrotsticks

Retired
HSC
N/A
I also had the same issues when I was in high school. I suggest the following, which really helped me as a student (also helped me throughout my university studies). I still use these techniques to this day, as I often do my work in noisy cafe environments.

- Invest in noise cancelling headphones not earphones. Headphones are a lot more immersive. A decent pair may cost around $100-150. The important thing is to make sure that they're comfortable. If you are not sure, you can buy a pair from Officeworks, try them on and then return them if you don't feel that they're a good fit. If you return it within less than a week, it should be okay, though I believe you have up to 2 weeks to return them.

- You can listen to rain sounds and white noise. I personally listened to the Rainy Mood noise when writing my solutions to the 2013 HSC Extension 1, because I just finished work and had no choice but to write the solutions at a cafe. It really helped me focus and block out other sounds. Same thing as white noise. Out of the two, I prefer the rain sounds but white noise works just as well.

This may be useful.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/White_noise#Work_environment

BLIT2014

The pessimistic optimist.
HSC
Uni Grad
Try dumping a wardrobe in front of walls? to muffle it? Or invest cork board/noise cancelling sponge material etc?

obliviousninja

(╯°□°)╯━︵ ┻━┻ - - - -
HSC
Uni Grad
when i study i hear couples making out in the study space adjacent to me

BlugyBlug

HSC
Level 10 and 9 have too many people, 6 doesn't have enough desks and is too low for a good view. 8 has no female toilets.

7 is just right :)

If you REALLY want a quiet floor in the libby, level 5 by far the most deserted.

Carsbooks

HSC
Hello all,

This is my maiden post to the website but from the information I've found on here past forums have been extremely useful.

I need some advice please. I am about to start Year 12 and my major problem is the lack of a quiet work area within my household. I have a desk in my room which is close to the staircase on the second floor of my house but the walls in the house are quite thin so I can hear pretty much any noise from dishes in the kitchen, to people talking and people walking up the stairs. I go to the local library when I can but it's only open until 5:00pm which defeats the purpose of studying for the afternoon/evening. Anyways my set up in my room is quite good but the intermittent occurrences of noise cause me to lapse in concentration and affect my productivity. I am quite a high-achieving student at school with a strong work ethic but I feel if this current scenario continues my work ethic and motivation may suffer into Year 12.
I have thought about purchasing noise-cancelling headphones as a means of prevention but apart from that I am in the dark. If anyone has some advice on any effective methods it would be much appreciated.
Thanks for the advice :)
hi Caleb!

yeah i think purchasing new headphones is quite a good idea, it'll block out the sounds and maybe if you pay a small fee you might be able to get the library to open just for you for a few more hours :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)