School captain responsibilities (1 Viewer)

The Savior

HSC
Can anyone who has been school captain in the past tell me how much work is involved in it? I was elected as school captain today and I am more than happy to put the work in, but I just wanted to know what school captains generally do. how much class would you miss? how many community events do you have to attend? etc... I really need to maximise my atar so I don't want school captaincy to interfere too much with my studies.

futuremidwife

HSC
Uni Grad
Bruh, my schools captain didn't do shit. And everyone was congratulating her. It's good for ur resume I heard. She didn't seem to take much time off school, class except for like one day at this captain leadership crap. But other than that she was hosting assemblies on Monday morning, and on special occasions as well. So yeah, that's about it. Not too sure what happens at ur school but that's the general idea of it.

Crobat

#tyrannosaurusREKT
HSC
Bruh, my schools captain didn't do shit. And everyone was congratulating her. It's good for ur resume I heard. She didn't seem to take much time off school, class except for like one day at this captain leadership crap. But other than that she was hosting assemblies on Monday morning, and on special occasions as well. So yeah, that's about it. Not too sure what happens at ur school but that's the general idea of it.
Yeah pretty much this. And I think they meet with the principal frequently to discuss the cohort's feels about HSC.

That being said you can really go a bit farther with it and seek out new things. We had a captain that actively sought out things like external public speaking/debating comps and volunteer services for his grade. He got some award for school captains from BoS I think for his commitment

Swaan

Stupid Fat Hobbit
HSC
It's varies from school to school but our captains just hosted official assemblies, attended a few leadership events, and were supposed to run SRC meetings (too bad we had a bossy ass SRC teacher this year who dictated everything).

Flop21

HSC
Don't you get an extra ATAR point for being school captain? Pretty sure that's because you're allegedly doing more work than others during your studies.

The Savior

HSC
yeah but that doesn't apply for medicine, at least that's the case for UNSW.

Flop21

HSC
yeah but that doesn't apply for medicine, at least that's the case for UNSW.
ok

well I have no idea what the school requires you to do, other than attend meetings, do speeches at every formal event, go out of school and do speeches, represent school, the normal stuff. But I also know that school captains are sort of expected to organise some events and that. Like school social and formal, muck up days and dress up days.

tyzzefloro

HSC
Ultimately the role of a school captain can be taken up in many ways. In the end your success is determined not by doing the mere basics eg. assemblies and compulsory meetings with the principal, but with how you use the role to do more for the broader school community but the wider Australian community as well. You must go to greater lengths than the mere basics to be successful, since you are in a position of leadership people look up to you and expect you to act as a brilliant role model. You represent yourself, grade, school including teachers and students. For eg. The captains of my year were brilliant. The captains took up extra roles eg. organising a relay for life team, organising inter-school sporting competitions, debating comps, inter-school leadership conferences and basically supported a multitude of fundraising events as head organisers both for charity but also for the school itself. I was the SRC president and worked alongside them and we had a blast. We pretty much transformed school functions and reinstated a heightened sense of school spirit which we had seen deplete over the years and created a foundation for future leadership teams of our school to build upon. So in the end you've opened up a gateway of opportunity by gaining such position. So the question is. How will you use it?

IGotRekt

HSC
To be honest, As a school captain your duties involve just being nice, and standing at the assemblies, wear some special uniform addressed to a school captain, and if a student asks what have you done so far, just tell them legit lies.

Such examples includes:

"I have assembled a dedicated cleaning program that has been performed after school by cleaners, This keeps the school clean but it is also you student's responsibility to keep the school clean"

"I have wrote a letter to principle recently about getting toilets cleaned and how toilets remained not-flushed"

"I just implemented a request as an captain to form a new program for our students that they can come to library after school for homework as most of the students remained distracted at home, this program would also include teachers to be there as students may need help. But to be honest i am not sure whether it will be accepted or not as teachers wont be paid for after school lessons"

Bottom Line: Umm do nothing and just say your doing something, being a school captain helps you alot in your resume.

perhaps you can try doing this, print 50 or 40 papers and visit every class in your free-periods and take a survey of students on some suggestion from students and teachers. Perhaps try after-school homework program. This will let the people know your doing something and no one will say "that guy did no shit as a captain"

But to be honest again, school captains does no shit, my friend is a school captain so i know this stuff... When I asked them what they do, all he said was "i am not sure either, I just got selected and represented as school captain in the assembly and nothing has been done so far, like no teachers or staff told me anything and stuff"

#Sorry4BadEnglish

Speed6

Retired '16
HSC
N/A
Is it worth becoming a Vice School Capt. in Year 11?

IGotRekt

HSC
everything from becoming a volunteer to anything big is very good and important. I was a volunteer at my school for 2 years, and thanks to it, right now i work as junior admin at a small company + sometimes i get to work from home for example handle their chatting service for support. I get paid $14 a hour and i am only 17 right now. Trust me anything is good, but you also need to have something inside you. Just the experience wont get you anywhere. My interview was ran for 2 and a half hours, Experience helped like 5% but thanks to the experience, i kept on getting support from it in my sentences. Hope that helps and sorry for the bad English :)

Flop21

HSC
everything from becoming a volunteer to anything big is very good and important. I was a volunteer at my school for 2 years, and thanks to it, right now i work as junior admin at a small company + sometimes i get to work from home for example handle their chatting service for support. I get paid $14 a hour and i am only 17 right now. Trust me anything is good, but you also need to have something inside you. Just the experience wont get you anywhere. My interview was ran for 2 and a half hours, Experience helped like 5% but thanks to the experience, i kept on getting support from it in my sentences. Hope that helps and sorry for the bad English :)
$14 an hour? Isn't that slave labour

JT145

ON is my homeboy
HSC
its pretty standard for any job that doesn't comply with award rates at his age, I wouldn't go for anything less tho

IGotRekt

HSC
No, Its not labour, plus i am completely satisfied with my employment. I am being paid 14/hr as i am only 17. My pay will rise to $19 when i turn 18.

Speed6

Retired '16
HSC
N/A
Same same. They only kind of organise a few events, but nothing really.
Is it worth becoming vice school captain in Year 11? The thing is I want to become a school captain in Year 12, do universities look for these things? I want to one day study med that's y :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)