Getting into 4 Unit Maths (1 Viewer)

coastpd

HSC
N/A
Hi everyone,

I am a year 9 student at James Ruse. At my school, 4 unit maths is limited to about the top half of the grade. However, in terms of rank, maths is my worst subject, but then the students at my school try a lot harder for maths than for other subjects. I do find maths interesting, but I also like other subjects like English, history and physics. For year 7-10 most subjects are following the same curriculum as other schools, but maths has a very different program, e.g. in year 9 we've done circle geometry, polynomials, functions.

At JRAHS, the HSC results for 4 unit maths are better than for any other subject - 98% of students get E4. My rank for English is a lot better than my rank for maths at the moment, but that could be because the other students don't try nearly as hard for English as for maths (last year, there were quite a few state ranks for maths, physics, chemistry and biology but none for English). I also like English more than maths, but I might be studying physics at university, as I really enjoy it. Apparently, the 4 unit course teaches more physics than the actual physics HSC course, but I'm not sure how true that is. Also, isn't MX1 a prerequisite for doing physics at uni?

For year 12 I'll probably choose
Physics
Modern history
English (unsure how many units)
Maths (unsure how many units)
Ill also finish IPT by the end of year 10

So then, is there any point of doing 4 unit maths if I'll learn it in uni anyway?
Is it worth doing 4 unit maths for the scaling, especially compared to taking English Ext 2 and Modern?
Should I try really hard in year 10-11 for maths to get in to 4 unit or not worry and just focus on other subjects? Because, at the moment everyone seems to be spending more time on maths than any other subject. And even though I spend more time on maths than for English my marks still are pretty bad.

It would be great to hear any advice you have.
Thanks.

astroman

HSC
start with 3u english and 3u maths, physics chem, and pickup ext 2 in year 12. It's a bit too early to stress about this stuff but if u really want to know, i suggest you talk to your math teacher

iStudent

HSC
You can always do 4u through TAFE. Same subject just different class. If you're serious about that scaling and everything then I highly recommend this pathway.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)