Humanities syllabus (1 Viewer)

The Savior

HSC
I don't do a single humanity subject in the hsc so I had a look at some humanities syllabus out of interest. When I compared them to science subjects like bio and chem, what I noticed was a vast disparity in quantity. With science subjects, you do 4 modules, full of theory and experiments and secondary research, but then I look at subjects like legal studies or modern history and there is far less content by comparison. We are actually struggling to maintain our pace in biology right now, not because of our teacher, but because there is just so much content crammed into such little time. I am not trying to undermine the importance or difficulty of any humanities subject, but does anyone know why they have far less content than science subjects?

And the general trend is, people are opting out of science subjects, which is why they pretty much got rid of all the maths in HSC physics. Even my maths teacher reckon it is far easier to score well in humanities nowadays with far less work.

enoilgam

HSC
I'd agree that subjects like Legal Studies, SOR and Business lack content, but Modern and Economics surely dont. Both are extremely content heavy. However, with a lot of humanities subjects (especially Modern), learning the content is only half the picture. In order to do well in a subject like Modern, you need to have a firm grasp of the issues in order to produce a band 6 quality essay.

The Savior

HSC
Sorry I don't do modern so I am unaware of the amount of content in it. But if subjects like legal are low in content, then how could the BOS justify the huge amount of content in biology, and still scale the 2 subjects very similarly. Like I said, I don't understand completely how the syllabus works for legal so I am not going to judge its difficulty or quality, but generally less content means less work= less stuff to remember= less pressure to recite so much information in an exam.

cem

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
Scaling isn't determined beforehand by the BOSTES but after the exams each year as a comparison of the performance of the candidature of each course against the performance in every other course. They appear similar year on year because similar students do them each year.

I also know many students who do the Sciences and do very well but who struggle in the humanities and vice versa.

The types of knowledge and skills required in each subject is very different.

Modern is a subject that is very content heavy by the way - if all you do is look at the number of dot points then you aren't doing a comparison of the quantity of content anyway.

RivalryofTroll

Sleep Deprived Entity
HSC
Uni Grad
I don't do a single humanity subject in the hsc so I had a look at some humanities syllabus out of interest. When I compared them to science subjects like bio and chem, what I noticed was a vast disparity in quantity. With science subjects, you do 4 modules, full of theory and experiments and secondary research, but then I look at subjects like legal studies or modern history and there is far less content by comparison. We are actually struggling to maintain our pace in biology right now, not because of our teacher, but because there is just so much content crammed into such little time. I am not trying to undermine the importance or difficulty of any humanities subject, but does anyone know why they have far less content than science subjects?

And the general trend is, people are opting out of science subjects, which is why they pretty much got rid of all the maths in HSC physics. Even my maths teacher reckon it is far easier to score well in humanities nowadays with far less work.
You can't assume that humanities (whether it be history or social sciences) have far less content than science subjects from just their respective syllabus.

I did Business Studies, Economics and Physics in Year 12 and if I had to rank how content heavy they were... I would actually have to say that they're pretty even for me personally. There was a high degree of memorisation involved in Business but the sheer quantity of my notes for Economics and Physics (especially the Q2Q option) weren't a joke either.

It's interesting how you've raised these points when most people would actually assume that Business Studies and Economics are much more content heavy than Physics!

As for the assumption that - ''it is far easier to score well in humanities nowadays with far less work''...

Wouldn't the fact that humanities involve a greater degree of memorisation actually mean that getting the higher marks would require far MORE work (the effort of having to ''memorise'' more often) rather than LESS?

Easier to score well in humanities with an EQUAL AMOUNT OF WORK? This is because the sciences inherently have a much more strict marking criteria compared to the histories or social sciences.

We still have to account for the fact that the sciences, in the end, scale better than the humanities (only Economics can really match the scaling of Physics and Chemistry).

I'd agree that subjects like Legal Studies, SOR and Business lack content, but Modern and Economics surely dont. Both are extremely content heavy. However, with a lot of humanities subjects (especially Modern), learning the content is only half the picture. In order to do well in a subject like Modern, you need to have a firm grasp of the issues in order to produce a band 6 quality essay.
In terms of the Business and Economics comparison, these are basically my thoughts on it:

I think in terms of the sheer quantity of content that you have to PROCESS - Economics is probably more content heavy in this regard compared to Business Studies. Like, my Economics notes were definitely longer than my Business Studies notes in Year 12.

However, in terms of the quantity of content that you have to consolidate/revise/learn by memorisation or rote learning - Business Studies is probably more content heavy in this regard to Economics. There is more opportunity for ''understanding'' in Economics, hence you can avoid memorising more often when it comes to exam preparation and revising the syllabus, than in Business Studies.

There is more opportunity for ''understanding'' in Physics, Chemistry and Biology as well (maybe more than Economics). Nevertheless, Economics and these sciences still involve a significant degree of memorising/rote-learning for most people.

Scaling isn't determined beforehand by the BOSTES but after the exams each year as a comparison of the performance of the candidature of each course against the performance in every other course. They appear similar year on year because similar students do them each year.

I also know many students who do the Sciences and do very well but who struggle in the humanities and vice versa.

The types of knowledge and skills required in each subject is very different.

Modern is a subject that is very content heavy by the way - if all you do is look at the number of dot points then you aren't doing a comparison of the quantity of content anyway.
This.

Just because the Physics, Chemistry and Biology syllabus are very detailed, in terms of the dot-points, compared to let's say the Business Studies or Economics syllabus, it doesn't directly mean that Business Studies and Economics are less content heavy than Physics, Chemistry and Biology.

alphabetafeta96

I swear im not a cat lady
HSC
Uni Grad
From someone who did two sciences ( Biology and Senior Science) and two humanities ( Legal and Business) for the HSC and did well in them, here is my opinion;

Keep in mind that the syllabus doesn't essentially equate to the amount of workload for the subject. Sure you can learn the bare minimum from the syllabus for subjects such as legal but that will only get you Band 3 or 4. What someone who has done legal will know is that there is often quite a lot more if not the same amount of information to remember as biology as you have to learn the names of ALOT of media articles, legislation and case law with dates as well as contemporary examples. They don't say it in the syllabus but it is assumed and that can take up a lot of time ROTE learning.

In addition to this the length of the syllabus doesnt necessary equate to the amount of work that needs to be done. For instance in biology there is often a lot of smaller dot points where I could write all I need to know in less than half a page. In legal this is not so much the case for Instance

the role of juries, including verdicts
is one very, very small dotpoint in the legal syllabus however we are expected to do be able to write 4-5 pages on it. The same could probably not be said if you were to pick out a likewise dotpoint from the biology course.

+ Often in humanities in my mind esp legal the way our paper is set out, it is in my mind harder than the biology paper as we have to do 2 essays worth 25 marks, one extended response worth 15 marks, one longer question worth 6-8 marks, 2 smaller short answer questions and 20 multiple choice.

Also quantity doesnt really equate to how hard the subject is. Subjects such as business and legal require higher thinking and analysis skills in my mind than most of the sciences where you can just ROTE learn some everything.

That's just my opinion.

alphabetafeta96

I swear im not a cat lady
HSC
Uni Grad
And teachers also struggle to cover content in humanities subjects as well. In my school for legal we rushed through family law so much that everyone in my grade was praying for a generic question on alternative family relationships ( one of the first things you cover in said topic).

RivalryofTroll

Sleep Deprived Entity
HSC
Uni Grad
Subjects such as business and legal require higher thinking and analysis skills in my mind than most of the sciences where you can just ROTE learn some everything.

That's just my opinion.
Funny you say that - when most people believe the opposite - you can get away with rote-learning in subjects such as Business or Legal Studies whereas Physics or Chemistry require higher thinking skills or analytical ability.

In the end, I agree that even the humanities require a good degree of critical/analytical thinking - especially when you're writing your extended responses.

enoilgam

HSC
Wouldn't the fact that humanities involve a greater degree of memorisation actually mean that getting the higher marks would require far MORE work (the effort of having to ''memorise'' more often) rather than LESS?
I'd argue that the design of most humanities exams prevents people from cracking high marks as well. Getting the top marks in essays is extremely difficult because the essay really has to be up there. Doing everything right in an essay wont necessarily see you get full marks, often you need a highly sophisticated analysis which can be difficult to produce.

RivalryofTroll

Sleep Deprived Entity
HSC
Uni Grad
I'd argue that the design of most humanities exams prevents people from cracking high marks as well. Getting the top marks in essays is extremely difficult because the essay really has to be up there. Doing everything right in an essay wont necessarily see you get full marks, often you need a highly sophisticated analysis which can be difficult to produce.
This is definitely a good point.

Then again, nearly every subject has barriers to the highest marks.

For example, the sciences have strict/harsh marking criteria(s) so that prevents many people from cracking the high-end marks as well.

Really, the only subject where you are 100% the master of your own destiny is Mathematics (because the nature/mood/etc. of the marker can't impact your mark at all).

There will always be an inevitable degree of human element - e.g. differing marking standards, or even perhaps subjectivity, for subjects such as English, the humanities, the sciences, etc.

Markers are humans after all.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)