(Better) Selective School Entry in Year 12 2016 (1 Viewer)

Ployixi

Penrith Represent.
HSC
Hey guys, I already go to Penrith but I was looking to go to a better selective school in year 12 just for that little better scaling and moreover a cohort that will be able to help me.

Has anyone achieved this feat before or do you know anyone that has gotten into a selective school in year 12?
The schools I am interested in are:
  • Girraween
  • Baulkham Hills
  • Sydney Boys
  • Fort Street
  • North Sydney Boys
  • James Ruse

braintic

HSC
N/A
Selective schools (top ones at least) tend not to look for new students in yr 12.
I'd say I've seen 2 students accepted in year 12 in my 20 years teaching in selective schools.
And they were both 'special circumstances'.

RivalryofTroll

Sleep Deprived Entity
HSC
Uni Grad
You don't get ''better scaling'' from going to a 'better school' and I'm sure the Penrith cohort can ''help'' you too.

Anyways, I assume you just want a stronger cohort.

From what I've heard, year 12 entry is quite rare. Plus, moving to a new school in Year 12 doesn't seem like an optimal move in my opinion.

At least with Year 11 entry, you have at least one year to adjust/adapt to your new environment before going into Year 12 (where there's more at stake with the HSC).

Kaido

be.
HSC
20 years teaching, jesus christ, thought you were in uni lol

Librah

Not_the_pad
HSC
You don't get ''better scaling'' from going to a 'better school' and I'm sure the Penrith cohort can ''help'' you too.

Anyways, I assume you just want a stronger cohort.

From what I've heard, year 12 entry is quite rare. Plus, moving to a new school in Year 12 doesn't seem like an optimal move in my opinion.

At least with Year 11 entry, you have at least one year to adjust/adapt to your new environment before going into Year 12 (where there's more at stake with the HSC).
Generally speaking better ranked school 200+ correlates to better cohorts. Therefore better moderated assessment marks if you don't come in the very top of your cohort. But yer scaling is a completely different thing... has nothing to do with what school your from at all.

Speed6

Retired '16
HSC
N/A
Please don't blaspheme me by labelling me with the name of a fictitious character.
20 years of teaching mathematics and is there anything you still find challenging in the field of mathematics?

dan964

what
HSC
Uni Grad
@OP
"just for that little better scaling"
I wouldn't move schools just for the scaling, particularly because one year a cohort may be strong, next year not so strong; exception James Ruse of course.

photastic

HSC
Tbh, your atar won't make much of a difference. I believe people like YunLi and Maxwell prove you can do well at any school as long you are top of the game. Going to the listed schools simple means your rank does not to be as high to secure yourself from getting dragged down.

Librah

Not_the_pad
HSC
Tbh, your atar won't make much of a difference. I believe people like YunLi and Maxwell prove you can do well at any school as long you are top of the game. Going to the listed schools simple means your rank does not to be as high to secure yourself from getting dragged down.
I wasn't even top lol, came 2nd/3rd for everything. Assessments were a diasaster, got 93 in mx2 but still not e4 since assessment was 81 rofl. But ATAR turned out pretty well.

Last edited:

photastic

HSC
I wasn't even top lol, came 2nd/3rd for everything. Assessments were a diasaster, got 93 in mx2 but still not e4 since assessment was 81 rofl. But ATAR turned out pretty well.
Well that one rank would've given you an all rounder ...

HSC
why would you move to another selective when you're already in penrith? it won't benefit you much if at all especially moving in year 12

strawberrye

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
I know one person who made it into year 12 entry from a non-selective school into Baulkham hills, but that was on the basis of his supreme mathematical abilities, he made it into the Australian Maths Olympiad (like at the level of representing Australia), I think if I were you, I could stay in your school-Penrith is not a bad selective school at all, you don't really need your cohort to push you, you can push yourself:), not only will the chances of you getting into another selective school be very slim, unless you are extremely dissatisfied with your current school, there's not much point.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)