What do you do in your exam reading time? (1 Viewer)

sadpwner

HSC
N/A
You know that 5 minutes you get to read only during the exam. Never figured out what how to fully allocate the 5 minutes. Wanna share your experience? Specify the subject.

suika

HSC
Depends on the subject, but from my experience:

- English/Humanities: if there's a multiple choice section - start reading & answering the questions in your head (gives you more time for other sections). If not/struggle with essays - look at your essay questions, work out which one to answer and start brainstorming in your head so you at least have some of the idea

- Maths: Go to the section where you need to prove congruency/similarity and start working it out in your head (honestly no numbers involved). Or if you aren't good at proofing/can't work out the solution, either work out the MC section in your head (if you can), a section you find easy or go to the last pages of your exam where worded problems are found and break them down.

I know it sound like a lot to do in your head but you will have the advantage over others who sit there in their reading time doing nothing (plus it helped me so hey). But ALWAYS briefly read over your exam - identify the challenging sections and the easy sections and try to read every question so that you aren't wasting 5 minutes in the actual exam trying to understand what is being asked.

Crisium

Pew Pew
HSC
With sciences and humanities for the tiered questions (i.e. 1) 1a) 1b), etc.) Check to see if they follow on from the previous question because you may end up writing the answer to part B in part A because you feel as if you having satisfied the marking criteria, and will then have to rewrite it below.

diladial

gone ghost
HSC
Read the whole entire exam before trying to figure any questions so you definitely know which questions to start off and skip (and to miss on completely for 3U/4U maths, you'll never finish a HSC paper essentially)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

trapizi

╰(゜Д゜)╯
HSC
5 minute moment to know how fked you are in the exam

Sien

将来: NEET
HSC
READ THE FKN PAPERRRRR lol jks but in all seriousness reading the paper is like reading the prophecy. It usually gives a good indication how fuked you are

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dirty_ink

HSC
- Skim over the questions and how many marks they're worth (I'd allocate more time for those worth more)
- Go over the questions again, only this time I'd focus on the key words in each question
- Start to brainstorm ideas for particular questions.

royalgoyal

HSC
pretty much skim through the whole paper and ask yourself if your fked or not jokes
just read through the texts especially for english which is vital.

WrittenLoveLetters

배고파
HSC
I quickly skim the questions, if its multiple choice, I quickly mentally answer the questions in my head.

Then I look at the short answer questions and the extended answer question (for any English or Humanities subject) and start to formulate ideas.

After reading time is open, I scribble all my fresh thoughts for the writing answers. Quickly answer the multiple choices (or the easy-level question).

Commence and use all my time onto the questions I had difficulty with.

Shaz8teen

HSC
I take a quick look at the paper and if I don't think there is anything I will struggle with I go straight to the multiple choice.

I use my finger nails to make a little mark on the multiple choice bubbles which I think are the correct answer and the moment they say you may begin the exam/test I quickly fill in the marked bubbles. You can save 10-20 minutes this way.

Crisium

Pew Pew
HSC
I take a quick look at the paper and if I don't think there is anything I will struggle with I go straight to the multiple choice.

I use my finger nails to make a little mark on the multiple choice bubbles which I think are the correct answer and the moment they say you may begin the exam/test I quickly fill in the marked bubbles. You can save 10-20 minutes this way.
^ CAN THIS BE DONE?

I was going to do this in my upcoming half-yearlies but was concerned that it would constitute cheating :/

BLIT2014

The pessimistic optimist.
HSC
Uni Grad
^ CAN THIS BE DONE?

I was going to do this in my upcoming half-yearlies but was concerned that it would constitute cheating :/
It would constitute cheating if the booklet's instruction is do not make any marks during reading time..

mreditor16

HSC
^ CAN THIS BE DONE?

It is against the official HSC rules, according to my ex-teachers.

BlueGas

HSC
N/A

I tried doing this but my nails were about to break before I even got a mark on the answer.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)