HSC rewards english? (1 Viewer)

yog

HSC
N/A
My friend says that the hsc favours those who are good at english over those who are good at maths, is this true and to what extent?

BLIT2014

The pessimistic optimist.
HSC
Uni Grad
Extension 1 or 2 Mathematics scale better then any English does...

Flop21

HSC
Well they make everyone do English, so I suppose in a way they do favour English.

RivalryofTroll

Sleep Deprived Entity
HSC
Uni Grad
My friend says that the hsc favours those who are good at english over those who are good at maths, is this true and to what extent?
Not really, however InteGrand makes a contestable, yet somewhat applicable, point if we're considering MX1/MX2.

Which means you need to be good at English, whereas being good at maths isn't as important since scaling can carry you.
One can argue this on the following bases:
- MX1/MX2's superior scaling, even with compared with English which scales well.
- The diminishing returns when it comes to MX1/MX2 (comes down to the difficulty of exams and effort is less likely to be rewarded as much).

Ideally, you want to be competent in all your subjects as to maximise your ATAR.

Personally, I sacrificed a good amount of MX2 study in order to focus more on English and my social sciences. Felt that I was generally rewarded more for my efforts in the latter subjects (and there's also MX2's scaling which I took into account).

I think the Mathematicians of BoS will definitely not be in favour of such conduct. :p

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)