Chances Of Making Sydney Tech Yr 11 2016?!?!?! (1 Viewer)

Dicksmith1

HSC
N/A
Hi everybody,
What are the chances of me getting a placing into "Tech" Yr 11 2016.
Currently attending Macfields High (selective stream), here are my school reports:
Yr 9 yearly: Maths: A
Science:C
Eng: B
Elective 1: A
Elective 2:A
PE:C
Geo:C
(seems pretty crappy, but it was due to estimations from me falling ill).
Yr 10 Half yearly: (much better than yr 9 lol)
Maths:A
Engish:B (god damn English)
Science:A
History:A
Elective 1: A-same elective as year 9
Elective 2: A-same elective as year 9
PE: A
Extracurricular activities: Soccer, local basketball comp- 2nd place, school cricket team representative, Chess- state semi's 3yrs consecutively tournaments , Athletics- age champion 3 years in a row, Piano, Debating- Yr 7, 8 winning zone and region quarterfinals Janine best competition USYD debating competition, Public speaking comps , zone cross country, regional athletics, swimming, part first group of high-school students to give lecture at USYD...
bronze award and a bunch of other academic awards.
Note: I received my maths challenge results back from my teacher i.e: 100%, but the certificates are yet to come out. Should I refer the teacher in my application.

In regards to the entrance exam itself, what is the degree of difficulty of the math's section i.e- lvl1 yr 10? mid yr 11?
How do I prepare for the English section, and what format is this component of the test presented in (eg: short answer followed by essay)?
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

RivalryofTroll

Sleep Deprived Entity
HSC
Uni Grad
Check out my guide, if you haven't yet done so: http://community.boredofstudies.org/2/school-secondary-education/272364/guide-applying-selective-school.html

Your application (academic reports and extracurricular activities) looks competitive and there's a good chance that you'll pass the first stage.

If you do indeed pass the first stage, the second stage will involve a test and an interview.

The mathematical component of the test is early-mid Year 10 level (at least when I did it a few years back) and the writing component is an extended response (expect either an essay or a creative writing task).

Good luck!

dan964

what
HSC
Uni Grad
as someone who just graduated from there I really should know the process, that said I never had to go through it.
when I was in year 10, they sit the top two classes of Tech in a test which is used perform a basis of whether they choose the candidature (or could be classes can't remember it was 3 years ago).

It is a lot more rigorous than any Year 9 application. I am assuming the level would be high year 10 level (possibly overlap into early year 11). I have no clue about the English component.

Your extra-curricular does look impressive as RoT mentioned and your school academic mark in mathematics will work to your favour, as I know that mathematics (and science for that matter) are some of the faculties that generally see the stronger results in the HSC rather than English.

They take in about 15-20 people each year (before year 11 the cohort size is 150, it jumps to about 165-168 in year 11/12)

Dicksmith1

HSC
N/A
Thanks R.O.T and dan, but I am unsure if this is a wise decision as i have ruled trying out for Hurlstone (even though travel times are low).
Is it advisable to try out for Tech if travel times are high, and will this impact greatly on study?
Is it highly advisable to include NAPLAN results in the application? It doesn't specify anywhere on the application about NAPLAN. I haven’t included My NAPLAN as I messed up in some sections, and am worried if omitting it out of my application may compromise my chances in passing the first stage.
Thank You.

RivalryofTroll

Sleep Deprived Entity
HSC
Uni Grad
Thanks R.O.T and dan, but I am unsure if this is a wise decision as i have ruled trying out for Hurlstone (even though travel times are low).
Is it advisable to try out for Tech if travel times are high, and will this impact greatly on study?
Is it highly advisable to include NAPLAN results in the application? It doesn't specify anywhere on the application about NAPLAN. I haven’t included My NAPLAN as I messed up in some sections, and am worried if omitting it out of my application may compromise my chances in passing the first stage.

Thank You.
Travel time:
Really depends on the individual. The time it took for me to get from and to school (including waiting for the bus) was around 1.5 hours each way (3 hours total approximately). Ultimately, it didn't really affect me (I mean I even studied on public transport every now and then).

NAPLAN:
If it's optional, then you don't need to include it. Anyways, your Year 9 NAPLAN theoretically should be less relevant than your Year 10 stuff.

dan964

what
HSC
Uni Grad
I am assuming you are at Macquarie Fields
If you wish to get to tech, you can either get a express train to Wolli creek then get a train to Hurstville and then a school bus or get a train to Beverly Hills (you'll have to change at Revesby) and then get the 7:50am school bus.

In the afternoon it is quicker to go to Beverly Hills*, but in the morning if you live past Holsworthy it is quicker to go to Wolli Creek *except on Wed/Fri.

There was a guy in my year who used to go from Campbelltown, a fair amount of people from Tech do travel along this route. It should take about an hour to get home (if you live near Macquarie Fields station, I've just looked it up)

I would take me for example along this route (via Beverly Hills) about 45 min (+10 minutes) walk to get home, and about 45 minutes as well to get to school (except you arrive at 8am). You can use the time on the train to study if you have a nice portable laptop, and particularly if you decide to get the 452 instead of the school bus in the morning, you can spend the extra time on the bus typing up notes etc.

Last edited:

dan964

what
HSC
Uni Grad
your year 10 results are impressive, I wouldn't bother mentioning year 9 naplan or year 9 science marks for that matter, unless they absolutely require it. (it is not like you will be doing naplan in year 11 or year 12 so it kinda of is irrelevant)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)