North Sydney Boys YEAR 9 TEST Help/info/tips? (1 Viewer)

TheGuy

HSC
Hello fellow students!

I'm a student who's in Year 8 applying for North Sydney Boys for Year 9, there will be an entrance test next week and I've been studying. Now I'm just revising and stuff, it'd really help if someone (possibly someone who did this test before and/or someone who is in North Sydney Boys currently or has been, doesn't matter). If you could reply and possibly say what type of topics I can expect in the MATHEMATICS portion of the test, such as: Do I need to study algebra? Trigonometry? etc. And also, if there is going to be any Science question or something like that.

There will also be a writing portion of the test, it'd help if you could possibly say what type of writing styles I could do or something of that sorts.

This is a bit URGENT, considering the test is NEXT WEEK (AHH, I'm so NERVOUS!).

Thanks in advance, and if you can help me out on this (even small tips or something can help) you are basically a LEGEND to me!

That's all :D

WrittenLoveLetters

배고파
HSC
Probably a creative for writing. I don't see them asking you to do an essay on any texts.

What does Year 8 even do in school? LOL Isnt the maths so easy, even for that age?

Having a boyfriend in Sydney (not North, but close enough), they like their students to be pretty sporty and involved in...extra curricular as well

TheGuy

HSC
Okay, thanks for your help.

The Maths in schools are easy for Year 8, but apparently the test is extremely hard, so I need help on what they might test me on.

And by the way, can you ask your boyfriend if my reports are good enough for SBHS: Outstanding for Maths, Science and High for English, High's in Geo and History, Music and other stuff not the best (sound). I'm in SRC, I do Tennis as a sport and I play Cricket and Euro handball as casual sports, even though our school Euro Handball team came second in our region. It'd be appreciated if you could ask him. And I also didn't do ICAS tests last year, do I need to put those in to get a chance?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

Kittyrules

I'm your density
HSC
Okay, thanks for your help.

The Maths in schools are easy for Year 8, but apparently the test is extremely hard, so I need help on what they might test me on.

And by the way, can you ask your boyfriend if my reports are good enough for SBHS: Outstanding for Maths, Science and High for English, Music and other stuff, not the best (sound). I'm in SRC, I do Tennis as a sport and I play Cricket and Euro handball as casual sports, even though our school Euro Handball team came second in our region. It'd be appreciated if you could ask him. And I also didn't do ICAS tests last year, do I need to put those in to get a chance?

Thanks in advance.
i know a couple of nsb's so i can tell you that yeah, they like the whole SRC, sport, team falcon pride sort of things. Sadly i dont know much about the entry test. i think they offer euro handball, so thats good :)

as for the maths, i cant help too much, but have a look on the year 8-9 syllabus on BOSTES website for maths, and see what you're supposed to know. I would know everything there and a bit more.

Sorry i couldnt help too much!
good luck with the test :)

WrittenLoveLetters

배고파
HSC
Yeah, having sports and being part of leadership roles will make you stand out along with doing well in academics. I think your report will be fine, but not that great for Year 8, but I'm sure passable :)

My boyfriend will know nothing of entrance since he get in through selective test. But he did say a lot of new students were very gifted in sports.

TheGuy

HSC
Okay, and I wasn't able to participate in any Academical competitions like ICAS last year, will that affect my chances?

TheGuy

HSC
I know I'm asking a lot of questions, but one more thing... Are subjects like: VA, Music and technology mandatory crucial/important for getting in schools like NSBHS and SBHS? I hope not, 'cause my report was the worst in those. I'm doing Spanish and I got High's. So yeah.

Thanks in advance!

Last edited:

RivalryofTroll

Sleep Deprived Entity
HSC
Uni Grad
Yeah, having sports and being part of leadership roles will make you stand out along with doing well in academics. I think your report will be fine, but not that great for Year 8, but I'm sure passable :)

My boyfriend will know nothing of entrance since he get in through selective test. But he did say a lot of new students were very gifted in sports.
Though it should be noted that, while Sydney Boys places emphasis on this, it doesn't apply as much to NSB.

Okay, and I wasn't able to participate in any Academical competitions like ICAS last year, will that affect my chances?
Certainly won't improve your chances but it won't worsen them either.

I know I'm asking a lot of questions, but one more thing... Will the subjects like VA, Music and technology mandatory crucial/important for getting in schools like NSBHS and SBHS? I hope not, 'cause my report was the worst in those. I'm doing Spanish and I got High's. So yeah.

Thanks in advance!
Hard to say, but it won't help you. There's bound to be other outstanding applicants who have stronger reports (i.e. perhaps close to straight As).

Though for NSB, since there's an entrance exam, you can stand out as a strong applicant if you perform well in that. Entrance exam results tend to be weighted more heavily compared to reports.

Last edited:

TheGuy

HSC
Do you have any clue of what PARTICULAR topics might come in the entrance exam for NSBHS (i.e. for Maths)?

Thanks in advance.

WrittenLoveLetters

배고파
HSC
Well I was just supporting what Kitty said :) I just realise that a lot of selective schools are asking for more than just a student being good at academics, because they have plenty of those. They want all-rounded students especially for non-selective-test entrants, so I think it's always good to show you're more than just textbooks and equations, you are also someone with great social skills, can become a part of a sporting team and compete, or make high school life more fun through events

TheGuy

HSC
So do you guys think I have a chance to get in to either NSBHS or SBHS? Maybe a percentage would help, such as "You might have 50% of getting in" or something like that.

Like always, thanks in advance!

TheGuy

HSC
Well they're saying that in SBHS that there are 30 spots available for years 9's and 10's. NSBHS is lower, don't know exact amount.

Kittyrules

I'm your density
HSC
hey i suggest you stop worrying about it, and see what happens. Try your hardest at the test and apply with EVERYTHING YOU GOT.
we cant give you a straight answer, because we dont know you, we dont know what NSB is like for entrance things, and who else is trying out etc.
what will you do with the info anyway? if we say you have a 50% of getting in (for example), will you not try because you think the chances are low? is it only because you are stressing out? if so, just relax because no one knows the future for sure.
there's no harm in trying out, so just try your best, give it everything you got, and hope for the best.
quit worrying because it wont do you any more good, and really we cant tell you anything because of a whole lot of factors. The better your mindset and attitude, the better it will be! So be optimistic and confident and you'll smash it :)

good luck~

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)