James Ruse interview TOMORROW?? help pls :( (1 Viewer)

bunnykun

HSC
Hi everyone! I'm in year 10 and I did the yr 11 entrance exam to Ruse last sat and today i was called for an interview (tomorrow)
Is it a bad thing to be called up for an interview? None of my friends who got in last year did one, they all were accepted straight away. I'm also pretty nervous and I'm not too sure what the process will be like.

If anyone knows common questions to pop up in interviews (doesn't have to be Ruse) or has any tips, I would really appreciate any input/help.

Thanks! :)

Shazzaaa

HSC
:O congratz on the interview! Just remember to act natural and maybe bring a few awards with you to show off ur academic or athletic ability! :) Gl!

si2136

HSC
N/A
Good job for making to the interview at James Ruse! Act like yourself and be confident when you speak! Good Luck!

bunnykun

HSC
Thanks everyone for your input so far! Although I could probably get a 99 at my current school right now lol (if i try hard and don't bomb out).. :p

*edited the bit where i said i could achieve a 99 ATAR because no matter where you are or what school you go to that requires hard work ^^

TalkTakesTime

HSC
Ruse kid here, albeit in year 12 and was here from year 7:
Yes, try to show confidence. The teachers will be looking for someone who stands out from the typical ruse stereotype, you know, hardcore studying, straight A's etc.
If they ask about your positive attributes, something along the lines of "I enjoy asking questions because it's a great way to engage myself in learning" will really impress them.
You want to try and portray yourself as an all rounder. Yes, Ruse is a highly academic environment but the school is striving for a more well rounded image and likes to advocate our students' abilities in sports, music etc so don't be afraid to talk about your sporting, debating achievements either.

Good luck! The person interviewing you will most likely be our principal, Ms. Connors and she's a very friendly, and easy to talk to person. Don't be afraid!

TalkTakesTime

HSC
Also, a friend of mine who transferred into Ruse in Year 11 wanted to add this:
"tell them that usually an interview means that they did reaaaally well in the exam, and they just want to make sure that it isnt someone whos been tutoring for the exam and its what their parents wanted for them.
Ms Connors just wants to make sure that its in the best interest of the student to join the school, not the parents.
Tell them to just be themselves and show them that they are keen to come to Ruse"

bunnykun

HSC
Also, a friend of mine who transferred into Ruse in Year 11 wanted to add this:
"tell them that usually an interview means that they did reaaaally well in the exam, and they just want to make sure that it isnt someone whos been tutoring for the exam and its what their parents wanted for them.
Ms Connors just wants to make sure that its in the best interest of the student to join the school, not the parents.
Tell them to just be themselves and show them that they are keen to come to Ruse"
I really appreciate your reply and help! Despite being a little nervous for the interview, I'm actually really eager for it and I think it'll be really interesting to answer any questions your principal has to shoot my way xD Thanks for asking your friend as well! Even if I don't make it in, this whole experience was great and the advice I got from everybody was a massive help. I'm genuinely interested in going to Ruse (hence trying out), but I love my current school as well, so #noragrets ;D

thanks to everyone again for the help, will keep you guys updated whether i make it in or not :)

hayabusaboston

HSC
m8 u should have gone in and said "Put it this way, my IQ is higher than 99.95% of your students, I am a very well known Mensa member, I own three companies listed on the american stock market with shares in fifteen more companies, I have twenty million in real estate assets, three ferraris and a mclaren 650S. If you let me into your school, you will reap great rewards. Falter but for a moment, and your ass is mine in court. CHoice is yours :)" then smile sweetly as if nothing happened.

teridax

HSC
N/A
m8 u should have gone in and said "Put it this way, my IQ is higher than 99.95% of your students, I am a very well known Mensa member, I own three companies listed on the american stock market with shares in fifteen more companies, I have twenty million in real estate assets, three ferraris and a mclaren 650S. If you let me into your school, you will reap great rewards. Falter but for a moment, and your ass is mine in court. CHoice is yours :)" then smile sweetly as if nothing happened.
i hope you're not serious...

bunnykun

HSC
How was the interview?
Bunny how did it go? :))
Principal was really nice, she asked me questions like 'what can you contribute to Ruse', and 'what are your strengths'. My friend from the same school had her interview right before I went in, and generally I just said stuff about 'being a helpful and supportive friend' since I can't really brag on academic marks if everyone in the school already has OP academic records xD It went pretty smoothly, I think it took half an hour? There were quite a few people after me I think, and results probably will come out in 10 days or so.

Also, apparently the admission process has changed so that every applicant must be interviewed. So I'm guessing they're looking not just at academia but also if you'll fit in or not with the cohort. :) She also mentioned that if I did accept the offer (under the assumption that I got one), then I'd have a lot of catch up to do in the holidays (along with the rest of the newbies). Oh, she also asked about the subjects i chose and what career field I wanted to go into.

overall it was pretty informal, principal was super nice, but I can feel the rejection letter coming my way, hahaha xD

Last edited:

bunnykun

HSC
can confirm will get you into Ruse 100%

HSC
N/A
Also, apparently the admission process has changed so that every applicant must be interviewed.
I was there at the interviews too, but I think she said 'all the applicants that have the potential to join ruse will be interviewed,' which she later said was 15.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)