For year 11 experience bout St. marys Senior school and Oakhill college (1 Viewer)

zonter

HSC
N/A
Guys

Need urgent help to decide for my son going in year 11 as non Christian which school is better for good academic achievement St Mary senior school or Oakhill college. I need to make quick decision from two school which is best school? Feedback from students and parents of those school are appreciated. Please help me

drainbammage

HSC
If your goal is academic achievement, SMSHS is not the best school. A lot of the teachers are pretty bad, the majority of the school leaves things to the last minute, the average across all the subjects is around 50% and its constantly a competition for who is the least prepared for an exam, meaning the competition for good ranks is very limited.

The schools best subjects are English, PDHPE, Business and legal, and the worst subjects are Economics and the Maths and Sciences.

obliviousninja

(╯°□°)╯━︵ ┻━┻ - - - -
HSC
Uni Grad
Oakhill is not considered very good either. Where abouts is your location? I can suggest schools for you?

zonter

HSC
N/A
Thanks Guys why do you think Oakhill is not good as well? And thanks for sharing experience about St marys senior school. How you know about St. Mary have you or your family member had been through school and experienced bad?

drainbammage

HSC
Are you serious? I've tried applying for at Mary's but I didn't get in as I applied late and also they had a really long waiting list
Demand for the school is high due to the school being different, but i know plenty of people whose marks have plummeted since going to st marys.

dan964

what
HSC
Uni Grad
have you tried applying for baulkham hills? or is it just private schools you are after?

obliviousninja

(╯°□°)╯━︵ ┻━┻ - - - -
HSC
Uni Grad
Again all this is dependent on where OP lives around. Which she hasn't mentioned

jsr

HSC
N/A
I might be a little late for this, but going to post anyway
Going to SMSHS was one of the best decisions I've ever made

I personally got a >99 ATAR going there (with Math amd Sciemce subjects)
And a few others did too (a couple of them with Humanities subjects), and heaps got >90 in the grade
Of course some don't do as academically well there, but their skills lay in other areas
I think the thing that SMSHS does really well is encourage you pursue your goals and be the best you can at them, whether they lie within or outside of academia
I know people now who are succeeding in all walks of life

And of the >450 people in my grade, I can't think of anyone that didn't seem to enjoy it. We all had an excellent time there, and it keeps students happy and balanced, which helps them do better in their studies

If you're academically driven, St Marys gives you all the tools you need to do well, and its reflected by the rank it has relative to the area its in

That being said, expressions of interest for SMSHS 2016 closed a while ago.

I also know nothing about Oakhill, so I'm definitely not saying SMSHS is better or anything, because I don't know. But my experience (and the majority of my peers) was excellent with SMSHS, and I'd recommend it to anyone.

If your goal is academic achievement, SMSHS is not the best school. A lot of the teachers are pretty bad, the majority of the school leaves things to the last minute, the average across all the subjects is around 50% and its constantly a competition for who is the least prepared for an exam, meaning the competition for good ranks is very limited.

The schools best subjects are English, PDHPE, Business and legal, and the worst subjects are Economics and the Maths and Sciences.
Not true in my experience. Averages were higher than that and there was a typical bell curve distribution of marks, which is perfect for ranking.
Also the Maths at SMSHS is great, my Maths teacher was my best teacher in all of my schooling. And there are plenty of other subjects SMSHS is great for (Art, Music, Entertainment, Photography, Senior Science, Textiles and Design, History etc.)

Obviously this is all my (obviously positively biased) opinion based on my own experiences and those of my peers, so take it as you will.

Reactions: Oer

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)