Selective school (1 Viewer)

ashaaaa

HSC
Hey guys so I recently got accepted into one of the top 5 selective schools in NSW for year 11. I have been going to a very good public school but I was just wondering if anyone has done the same thing, where they switched to a selective school for year 11 and 12. Was it an easy or hard transition? What can I expect? Thanks guys :)

pomsky

HSC
I've never switched schools, but I think you should probably expect something like the primary to high school transition, albeit to a lesser degree. From simple observations, all the new kids seem to more or less blend in fairly well.

If you got accepted into the same school I attend, there should be a camp very early on in the year (actually most schools have this, I think) where they encourage the grade to "bond" with each other (but it's really just an excuse for us to get to know the new kids and encourage friendships etc.) To a peer, the transition didn't look too difficult. Schools will also try and accommodate you/ ease you in in as best as possible and will provide a support network if you do have any issues.

Having said all that, you will be in a different environment, away from your usual friends and that may or may not be in your comfort zone. I would imagine to expect some feelings of loneliness or displacement for the first few days, but in general just be yourself and you'll be fine.

Congratulations for your acceptance :)

crowley926

HSC
I didn't switch into year 11 but it'll be hard - esp since the transition is into senior year and at a selective

You can expect more work and definitely more competition (a lot of people are crazy smart and hard-working) and I think you are at baulko right? If so, the principal always says that it takes 6 months for you to properly settle in (regarding school work). So don't be disheartened if you aren't immediately doing as well as you usually do - just try your best to keep up and really put in a lot of hard work (in any case the 6 month thing is just a rough guide and some people do really well from the get-go)

Friends/social-wise it depends. The year 10s seem to be nice and in general selective kids seem to have less dramas (and I went to Catholic before so I do have some idea) and are quite more agreeable so I think initially finding a group to settle in with will be your biggest problem (coming into Year 11 you may have to "try out" several groups because obviously people have had set friendship groups for a while now so it'll be a bit harder to join in)

ashaaaa

HSC
I've never switched schools, but I think you should probably expect something like the primary to high school transition, albeit to a lesser degree. From simple observations, all the new kids seem to more or less blend in fairly well.

If you got accepted into the same school I attend, there should be a camp very early on in the year (actually most schools have this, I think) where they encourage the grade to "bond" with each other (but it's really just an excuse for us to get to know the new kids and encourage friendships etc.) To a peer, the transition didn't look too difficult. Schools will also try and accommodate you/ ease you in in as best as possible and will provide a support network if you do have any issues.

Having said all that, you will be in a different environment, away from your usual friends and that may or may not be in your comfort zone. I would imagine to expect some feelings of loneliness or displacement for the first few days, but in general just be yourself and you'll be fine.

Congratulations for your acceptance :)
Thanks so much! I got into Baulko. Do you happen to know if they're having a year 11 camp?

ashaaaa

HSC
Congrats!! If you don't mind, what school did you get into? :) I haven't switched schools (I only switched in primary but that doesn't really count in this case) before but the transition shouldn't be too big of a change. Since each selective school makes way for a few more new students in year 11, there should be others who are just like you and have newly transferred
And school is school, so even though there are selective or comprehensive schools, in the end, there are students and teachers in every school and a school environment shouldn't sway TOO much out of what you are used to :)
That's true. And I got into Baulko :)

bakstar

HSC
Thanks so much! I got into Baulko. Do you happen to know if they're having a year 11 camp?
Oh Hey Nice! Although I'm not sure if they're going to have a year 11 camp next year. I don't think so, but don't quote me on that? But Baulko generally makes sure all the new entrants make a smooth transition into the school. I have a few good friends who entered in year 11 and I'm pretty sure all of them had a pretty decent transition, although they did come from other selectives but even so I don't think you should have any major problems.

ashaaaa

HSC
Oh Hey Nice! Although I'm not sure if they're going to have a year 11 camp next year. I don't think so, but don't quote me on that? But Baulko generally makes sure all the new entrants make a smooth transition into the school. I have a few good friends who entered in year 11 and I'm pretty sure all of them had a pretty decent transition, although they did come from other selectives but even so I don't think you should have any major problems.
Oh that's really good to know! Thank you! :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)