Does recording notes and replaying them over and over work?? (1 Viewer)

Bookz and Stuff

HSC
N/A
I was wondering if recording my notes will help memorisation. I could speak my notes then save this onto my phone so I could listen to them wherever I go.

Thoughts??

Drsoccerball

HSC
I was wondering if recording my notes will help memorisation. I could speak my notes then save this onto my phone so I could listen to them wherever I go.

Thoughts??
If you dont pay close attention while you listen you wont learn anything or your knowledge will be jumbled

WildestDreams

HSC
I once memorised an essay overnight by recording my voice. Seemed to work for me! Not sure whether I'd do it again though!

I guess its something you just have to try, as everyone has different learning styles. Only then you can figure out whether or not it is effective :)

astroman

HSC
Yes, effective for shorter notes like remembering essays, not as effective for long lists of notes since you may get bored.

strawberrye

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
I did this but I am not sure whether it helped or whether I just felt better about myself under the impression I wasn't wasting time from walking from home to school-I guess it really depends on what kind of a learner you are-if you have really long travel time-it might be very helpful-sometimes there might not always be seats on trains/buses and it's hard to hold a textbook/notes and balance at the same time.

si2136

HSC
N/A
I used to. It works, but you won't be understanding the concept of the topic.

BandSixFix

Disillusioned
HSC
I did that once, zoned out and forgot everything for my exam the next day rip

dan964

what
HSC
Uni Grad
no, unless you decide to take notes while replaying it.
the only time I would recommend recording something is so you can write it immediately down later (i.e. the same/next day), if you aren't able to learn well from listening or your teacher talks too fast for you to write.

psyc1011

#truth
HSC
Depends on the person, try it to see if it works for you. Didn't work for me because lack of engagement, so I filtered at least 90% of it.

I'll provide you with another memorisation strategy.

The act of testing or recalling from scratch reconsolidates the information and strengthens the synaptic connections for that particular memory (and others too due to domino effect). Each time you (successfully) recall, the neuron for that memory is getting excited and strengthens. This will lead to even faster recalls speeds so you save time+stress on trying to recall that memory, should be instant when you are comfortable and confident with that memory.

If you are really dedicated to commiting the content to memory, do this recall test constantly, in the shower, before you sleep, while you brush your teeth, etc. It forces you to concentrate heavily on a specified memory, and you could imagine it would boost brain power :p

GL

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)