Extension Courses in Science (1 Viewer)

Rafy

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
http://www.smh.com.au/national/educ...nits-as-students-sit-hsc-20151018-gkc9md.html

Extension science units could be offered for the first time in the HSC under a radical new proposal from the NSW Board of Studies.
The board's draft writing briefs, released on Monday, have revealed that three-unit chemistry and three-unit physics could be a part of the state's curriculum by 2017.

There is also an option for a super-science extension subject with elements of physics, chemistry and biology that could be combined together to test the state's most talented students.

The proposal was revealed as 17,500 students sat the first of the science exams, biology, on Monday.

"This is the first stage of a multi-faceted consultation process," said Board of Studies president Tom Alegounarias. "The idea is to encourage more students to apply themselves to the highest level that is possible."

Teachers have praised the move, describing the proposal for extension units and a more flexible curriculum as "necessary".

mreditor16

HSC
From first impressions, looks promising. But having enough qualified teachers who can teach the extension content well is another matter....

Crisium

Pew Pew
HSC
This would put a smile on InteGrand's face haha (Assuming the content will actually be more difficult and less Rote)

turntaker

HSC
i could drop 4 and do 3 u phys and 3u maths

the dream

Flop21

HSC
Wtf why no 3u bio?? Or why not add a chem / bio combination??

RecklessRick

HSC
N/A
My recollection is that there used to be an extension science course like they suggested which went under "4 unit science" and Sydney Grammar used to dominate it ever year. Then they cut it in 2001 due to 'costs'. Strong backpedal bostes.

eyeseeyou

HSC
N/A
LOL. It's probably going to be more math based than theory based. Most of HSC physics and chemistry is theory based

HSC
Uni Grad
nekminnit all the tutoring colleges go in on this and expecting all duh $$$$ to be made.

I've also still yet to see a Statistics and a computer science course - very important imo because data science and computing is pretty much the future of Australia.

Zen2613

HSC
N/A
nekminnit all the tutoring colleges go in on this and expecting all duh $$$$ to be made.

I've also still yet to see a Statistics and a computer science course - very important imo because data science and computing is pretty much the future of Australia.

Is this really true ? Because that is basically exactly what I want to do at uni (B advanced maths/B computer science) but didn't want to go into data science because it's so new and unheard of. So what is the difference between statistics/maths and data science ?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)