In need of advice... Seriously sweating over here (1 Viewer)

shirotaiga

HSC
Greetings all,

Yup as you can see I'm a complete freshm- *ehem* (remembers gender is undisclosed) and I'm freaking out about my transition into a selective high school this year - St George Girls (ok, disclosed) for Year 11 to be exact. I've no doubt that I will work hard and I have selected some pretty intense subjects:

Ext. 1 English
Ext. 1 Maths
Chem
Bio
Physics

I'm moving from a private school with a much smaller cohort and honestly don't know what to expect. I will undoubtedly give it my all but should I be doing anything extra? I'd like to maintain a 95+ level though I'm aware this may not be the case when I first start.

Ideal advice would be from those who have been through or are going through this same situation or a current student from St George! Sorry to you all for my sob story haha ;_;

Thank you!

Shazzaaa

HSC
Doing all the sciences is going to be pretty intense (soz this isn't helpful, but commentary is fun). Just make sure u can manage the workload and memorizing cus I hear u'll need it for chem and bio (but im sure there r others who can give u more info) :) see u when school starts

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Speed6

Retired '16
HSC
N/A
Relax.

I think you are overwhelmed by not only the fact that you will be competing with a strong cohort to get great marks and ranks but also the fact that you are a new preliminary student thrown deep into the beginning stages of the journey toward the HSC.

I can't dispute the fact that you are doing academically demanding subjects and they are definitely not a 'walk in the park', I'll tell you. but if you put in the effort and motivation to keep going, you will rise to the top in the end through this great work ethic you will achieve great successes. Remember, HSC is all about consistency and it's not a game on not how smart you are, but how organised you are and this is how you will excel.

This is a year when you make mistakes, trust me, everyone makes mistakes. But the ultimate message from mistakes is how you learn from them as a first-hand experience to lift your game come HSC.

Finally, start setting yourself of an ATAR goal from 85 or 90 (personal choice of course) and keep going up in increments to make you work harder and this way, it will motivate/drive you to achieve your ultimate goal and of course, I reiterate again, consistency, this is what will keep you alive in the end once you place your pen down for the last time for your last HSC exam.

I hope this helps you in some way.

axwe7

HSC
N/A
First off, by receiving an acceptance into the school already puts you around top 20% of the cohort.

And yes, just try your hardest, maintain your progress whilst others may fall, because that's the time you'd actually shine.

And lastly, are you going to pick up 4U in Year 12?

shirotaiga

HSC
Doing all the sciences is going to be pretty intense (soz this isn't helpful, but commentary is fun). Just make sure u can manage the workload and memorizing cus I hear u'll need it for chem and bio (but im sure there r others who can give u more info) :) see u next yr
Ahaha yes many have responded in the same way when I told them I'd be doing all 3:p But honestly, I think I'll cope. I do love Science after all. Thanks for your commentary! ^_^ See you soon :p

Relax.

I think you are overwhelmed by not only the fact that you will be competing with a strong cohort to get great marks and ranks but also the fact that you are a new preliminary student thrown deep into the beginning stages of the journey toward the HSC.

I can't dispute the fact that you are doing academically demanding subjects and they are definitely not a 'walk in the park', I'll tell you. but if you put in the effort and motivation to keep going, you will rise to the top in the end through this great work ethic you will achieve great successes. Remember, HSC is all about consistency and it's not a game on not how smart you are, but how organised you are and this is how you will excel.

This is a year when you make mistakes, trust me, everyone makes mistakes. But the ultimate message from mistakes is how you learn from them as a first-hand experience to lift your game come HSC.

Finally, start setting yourself of an ATAR goal from 85 or 90 (personal choice of course) and keep going up in increments to make you work harder and this way, it will motivate/drive you to achieve your ultimate goal and of course, I reiterate again, consistency, this is what will keep you alive in the end once you place your pen down for the last time for your last HSC exam.

I hope this helps you in some way.
*Takes deep breath* Yup, I've got to admit you're right on the money - it's the big change and the tension of entering the years that actually count! I really appreciate this advice. So I've just got to remain consistent and stay strong! Thank you

First off, by receiving an acceptance into the school already puts you around top 20% of the cohort.

And yes, just try your hardest, maintain your progress whilst others may fall, because that's the time you'd actually shine.

And lastly, are you going to pick up 4U in Year 12?
Thanks for your reply! Honestly, although I made it in, I don't want to get ahead of myself! I've got to stay grounded in order to face the fierce competition and amazing talent the school has to offer. But your reply is encouraging and I won't be backing down :)

In regards to 4U, I honestly had my heart set on it for a while but my will is starting to waver. I'm afraid my passion for Maths isn't kindling as strongly as it once did - it actually makes me a bit anxious. I can do it, but I won't be making any final decisions. It'll all come down to how I find 3U.

sida1049

HSC
A lot people harbour the misconception that strong performances in the HSC require absurdly high marks, e.g. consistently upwards of 90%. All marks are relative. I typically scored around 85%~ for most of my exams (got 50% for a Biology assignment in Year 11, and 70% once in a Chemistry exam during Year 12... whoops), and I still managed a 99+ ATAR in a public comprehensive school ranked in the 90s during 2014.

My advice is don't worry too much about what marks you get, but focus on consistency and effort, and aim for 80-85% in exams. The HSC is an examination of your ability for self-management. Things won't always go your way, and it's how you acknowledge and handle those situations that define your performance in the HSC. A 50% in an exam isn't the death of your ATAR (writing from experience). Similarly, getting 100% in an assessment won't solidify your final HSC result. Apply yourself steadily and consistently, and don't let disappointment sway your focus.

Now onto some specificities. Your preliminary results do not influence your HSC results at all. You can literally rank the lowest for all of your subjects in your Preliminary studies, and you won't technically be at any disadvantage in thriving for a high ATAR against people coming first in their courses. The Preliminary year is designed to simulate what the HSC is like, such as the density, difficulty and pacing of the courses. Hence while your Preliminary results do not factor into your final HSC results, it's good practice for the real thing. Preliminaries only really matter if you are considering enrolling into Extension courses, which I presume is of interest to you. If such is the case, then you need to keep your English and Mathematics results up. In my school, we only run one class of Extension 2 Mathematics and it was by invitation only to the top 24 of Extension 1. However since you are going to a selective school, it's probably easier to enter into Extension 2 Mathematics and English because typically selective schools run multiple Extension 2 classes (plus the fact that they often encourage you).

I also did 6 units of science during my Preliminary year. It was perfectly manageable. (Yeah, I did get 50% in Biology once, still no idea how that happened, but I came 1st, 2nd and around 4th for the yearly Preliminary Chemistry, Physics and Biology exams respectively.) It's all about how you manage your time such that efficiency and productivity are maximised. It's a no-brainer that you should spend more time on subjects you're doing relatively worse in. Make sure you familiarise with your assessment schedule ahead of time; e.g. if you have a coming English essay in a few weeks, do your maths and science homework ahead of time to free up your personal schedule. Quite literally, preparing for preparation.

Don't be afraid to do more than 10 units in your HSC year. If your 12th unit just happens to be one that you find highly interesting (Economics in my case), stick with it. It could help you decide your tertiary study (as it did for me), and hence your career. Furthermore on this point, it's very difficult to predict how things will end in the HSC. At the end of my preliminaries, I predicted that Economics won't count towards my ATAR. At the end of my HSC, it turned out Chemistry, traditionally my strongest elective apart from maths, broke my Band 6 streak.

The bulk of your worry seems to come from your entering into a selective cohort. While I've never been to a selective school myself, I have many friends who enrolled into selective schools. Yes it's competitive, yes you will find that it's a little harder to compete against the average (ranks are relative; it's meaningless to compare your rank in your new cohort to your old cohort), yes ranks can be quite volatile, and you'll have people who worry about the ranks of themselves and others much more than they should. But this is a rather ubiquitous quality, as you'll find similar going-ons in private schools, and comprehensive schools alike. The jump from Year 10 to Year 11 is one that is more significant and perhaps even disorientating than the transition between a comprehensive to a selective environment. Ultimately the best way to settle into the selective environment is to find friends who are in your situation. And I don't mean the situation of you moving to a selective school, but rather the situation of you moving onto Year 11. And therefore, you'll find that many of your own anxieties are shared with your selective peers, and that there's not that much difference between your peers and yourself.

Just because a significant amount of your selective peers are tutored, doesn't mean you need it. Our dux (99.75 and Economics state ranker) wasn't tutored at all. During his HSC year, his effort was consistent, worked only slightly ahead of the content taught during class (as a part of his time management strategy), and played Runescape -

- which just so happens to lead onto my next point. Relax. Make sure you always have time for yourself. Hang out with friends. Watch movies. Play games. Do whatever that you enjoy and relaxes you. Don't stay up working too late (I capped myself at 8pm everyday, even if there is an exam the next). Taking long walks was the most relaxing thing for me. Even during the weeks of intense studying for the trial and HSC exams, I took two hour walks every single day. I also found the time after school every once in a while to find some place to eat. It's the small things you do that you find yourself really enjoying and appreciating.

Those are the main things that I feel you should understand. The most memorable, and often the best years of schooling come from the final two years. Everyone at your new school is in the same situation as you, trying to adapt to a new environment. Relax as much as you can, and come into your new school year with a fresh and clear mindset, and you're set to go!

sida1049

HSC
Ahaha yes many have responded in the same way when I told them I'd be doing all 3:p But honestly, I think I'll cope. I do love Science after all. Thanks for your commentary! ^_^ See you soon :p

*Takes deep breath* Yup, I've got to admit you're right on the money - it's the big change and the tension of entering the years that actually count! I really appreciate this advice. So I've just got to remain consistent and stay strong! Thank you

Thanks for your reply! Honestly, although I made it in, I don't want to get ahead of myself! I've got to stay grounded in order to face the fierce competition and amazing talent the school has to offer. But your reply is encouraging and I won't be backing down :)

In regards to 4U, I honestly had my heart set on it for a while but my will is starting to waver. I'm afraid my passion for Maths isn't kindling as strongly as it once did - it actually makes me a bit anxious. I can do it, but I won't be making any final decisions. It'll all come down to how I find 3U.
I loathed junior school maths, and absolutely loved senior school maths. Its usefulness. Its beauty. Junior school maths focused more on plain arithmetic and computation, stuff that would bore any mathematician out of their mind. Senior school mathematics, however, has a far stronger emphasis on the necessity for proofs, creativity, logic and abstraction. The very first topic of Extension 2 Mathematics (Complex Numbers) teaches you that you know absolutely nothing about mathematics, that there is so much more out there that justifies why a lot of us love maths. I recommend to consider Extension 2 Mathematics. It's honestly not as difficult as people overhype it to be. If nothing else, do it for your ATAR (40% on the final HSC exam, i.e. bottom 25% of the state yields, an ATAR equivalence of 98).

shirotaiga

HSC
A lot people harbour the misconception that strong performances in the HSC require absurdly high marks, e.g. consistently upwards of 90%. All marks are relative. I typically scored around 85%~ for most of my exams (got 50% for a Biology assignment in Year 11, and 70% once in a Chemistry exam during Year 12... whoops), and I still managed a 99+ ATAR in a public comprehensive school ranked in the 90s during 2014.

My advice is don't worry too much about what marks you get, but focus on consistency and effort, and aim for 80-85% in exams. The HSC is an examination of your ability for self-management. Things won't always go your way, and it's how you acknowledge and handle those situations that define your performance in the HSC. A 50% in an exam isn't the death of your ATAR (writing from experience). Similarly, getting 100% in an assessment won't solidify your final HSC result. Apply yourself steadily and consistently, and don't let disappointment sway your focus.

Now onto some specificities. Your preliminary results do not influence your HSC results at all. You can literally rank the lowest for all of your subjects in your Preliminary studies, and you won't technically be at any disadvantage in thriving for a high ATAR against people coming first in their courses. The Preliminary year is designed to simulate what the HSC is like, such as the density, difficulty and pacing of the courses. Hence while your Preliminary results do not factor into your final HSC results, it's good practice for the real thing. Preliminaries only really matter if you are considering enrolling into Extension courses, which I presume is of interest to you. If such is the case, then you need to keep your English and Mathematics results up. In my school, we only run one class of Extension 2 Mathematics and it was by invitation only to the top 24 of Extension 1. However since you are going to a selective school, it's probably easier to enter into Extension 2 Mathematics and English because typically selective schools run multiple Extension 2 classes (plus the fact that they often encourage you).

I also did 6 units of science during my Preliminary year. It was perfectly manageable. (Yeah, I did get 50% in Biology once, still no idea how that happened, but I came 1st, 2nd and around 4th for the yearly Preliminary Chemistry, Physics and Biology exams respectively.) It's all about how you manage your time such that efficiency and productivity are maximised. It's a no-brainer that you should spend more time on subjects you're doing relatively worse in. Make sure you familiarise with your assessment schedule ahead of time; e.g. if you have a coming English essay in a few weeks, do your maths and science homework ahead of time to free up your personal schedule. Quite literally, preparing for preparation.

Don't be afraid to do more than 10 units in your HSC year. If your 12th unit just happens to be one that you find highly interesting (Economics in my case), stick with it. It could help you decide your tertiary study (as it did for me), and hence your career. Furthermore on this point, it's very difficult to predict how things will end in the HSC. At the end of my preliminaries, I predicted that Economics won't count towards my ATAR. At the end of my HSC, it turned out Chemistry, traditionally my strongest elective apart from maths, broke my Band 6 streak.

The bulk of your worry seems to come from your entering into a selective cohort. While I've never been to a selective school myself, I have many friends who enrolled into selective schools. Yes it's competitive, yes you will find that it's a little harder to compete against the average (ranks are relative; it's meaningless to compare your rank in your new cohort to your old cohort), yes ranks can be quite volatile, and you'll have people who worry about the ranks of themselves and others much more than they should. But this is a rather ubiquitous quality, as you'll find similar going-ons in private schools, and comprehensive schools alike. The jump from Year 10 to Year 11 is one that is more significant and perhaps even disorientating than the transition between a comprehensive to a selective environment. Ultimately the best way to settle into the selective environment is to find friends who are in your situation. And I don't mean the situation of you moving to a selective school, but rather the situation of you moving onto Year 11. And therefore, you'll find that many of your own anxieties are shared with your selective peers, and that there's not that much difference between your peers and yourself.

Just because a significant amount of your selective peers are tutored, doesn't mean you need it. Our dux (99.75 and Economics state ranker) wasn't tutored at all. During his HSC year, his effort was consistent, worked only slightly ahead of the content taught during class (as a part of his time management strategy), and played Runescape -

- which just so happens to lead onto my next point. Relax. Make sure you always have time for yourself. Hang out with friends. Watch movies. Play games. Do whatever that you enjoy and relaxes you. Don't stay up working too late (I capped myself at 8pm everyday, even if there is an exam the next). Taking long walks was the most relaxing thing for me. Even during the weeks of intense studying for the trial and HSC exams, I took two hour walks every single day. I also found the time after school every once in a while to find some place to eat. It's the small things you do that you find yourself really enjoying and appreciating.

Those are the main things that I feel you should understand. The most memorable, and often the best years of schooling come from the final two years. Everyone at your new school is in the same situation as you, trying to adapt to a new environment. Relax as much as you can, and come into your new school year with a fresh and clear mindset, and you're set to go!
Wow, thanks for the insight and in-depth advice.... definitely feeling better and a lot more confident. I'm willing to work, and I know it will be a little rocky at first but consistency is definitely what I'm after. Also, I'm happy to say I'm not one to dwell on bad assessments and instead learn from those mistakes. The fact that you're a 99+ student is even more encouraging as this is what I'm aiming for! Honestly, the most unsettling thing about entering a selective cohort is the daunting feeling that you are behind everyone else and the (probably irrational) fear that the teachers will cater for the majority... However, I personally don't believe I'll need tutoring... I'm confident in my ability to learn the content and I'm sure I'll have plenty of support anyway... Thanks again :)

I loathed junior school maths, and absolutely loved senior school maths. Its usefulness. Its beauty. Junior school maths focused more on plain arithmetic and computation, stuff that would bore any mathematician out of their mind. Senior school mathematics, however, has a far stronger emphasis on the necessity for proofs, creativity, logic and abstraction. The very first topic of Extension 2 Mathematics (Complex Numbers) teaches you that you know absolutely nothing about mathematics, that there is so much more out there that justifies why a lot of us love maths. I recommend to consider Extension 2 Mathematics. It's honestly not as difficult as people overhype it to be. If nothing else, do it for your ATAR (40% on the final HSC exam, i.e. bottom 25% of the state yields, an ATAR equivalence of 98).
Haha well that's good to hear :) I have to agree 100%... plain arithmetic is boring as hell xD Will definitely reconsider doing 4 Unit! Thanks for the advice :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)