Essay Help for English (Standard) (1 Viewer)

RGWINGS

HSC
Hey guys,

I've never been too sure how to make reference to both a thesis statement and the prescribed question given in an essay. My question is " A strong human spirit is essential for a transformative personal discovery."
How could i make reference to both my thesis statement and question throughout the essay? Can i integrate both thesis statement and prescribed question into one statement, then keep referring to that? I hear the thesis statement is your argument and must keep coming back to it, though im not sure how you can effectively come back to both a thesis and question throughout an essay.
Examples of theses would help greatly with references to question.

Btw My core text is "life of pi" if that helps in any way.

HSC
If you can't come up with a thesis, try to think WHY something is done. From your question, think WHY it is essential to have a strong human spirit for a transformative personal discovery.

Yes, you are correct that your thesis statement is your argument, and the question is integrated into your thesis through using key words from the question, but NOT rewording the question.

Throughout the essay, you refer back to your thesis through using key words once again, but also you further your argument(thesis) through topic sentences as per paragraph. Think of your essay as an umbrella.. you've got the thesis at the top, and all the sub-arguments/topic sentences underneath, and don't forget to refer back to the question in each paragraph. Your paragraphs are there to show WHY the author does this and this in such a way and HOW it is portrayed.

Good luck!

RGWINGS

HSC
If you can't come up with a thesis, try to think WHY something is done. From your question, think WHY it is essential to have a strong human spirit for a transformative personal discovery.

Yes, you are correct that your thesis statement is your argument, and the question is integrated into your thesis through using key words from the question, but NOT rewording the question.

Throughout the essay, you refer back to your thesis through using key words once again, but also you further your argument(thesis) through topic sentences as per paragraph. Think of your essay as an umbrella.. you've got the thesis at the top, and all the sub-arguments/topic sentences underneath, and don't forget to refer back to the question in each paragraph. Your paragraphs are there to show WHY the author does this and this in such a way and HOW it is portrayed.

Good luck!
Thanks a lot mate appreciate it! really explained it well.

Just to clarify, we take elements of the question and apply it to our thesis which we come back to throughout the essay (doesnt have to be every paragraph?) and we only come back to key words of the thesis and not the thesis as a whole right?
then we give evidence of the thesis through topic sentences or examples found in our texts and explain why the composer did...(Examples why) and how the composer...(techniques to show) and also effectiveness of the techniques and examples and finally we link it back to the question.
is that right? hope it makes sense.

HSC
Thanks a lot mate appreciate it! really explained it well.

Just to clarify, we take elements of the question and apply it to our thesis which we come back to throughout the essay (doesnt have to be every paragraph?) and we only come back to key words of the thesis and not the thesis as a whole right?
then we give evidence of the thesis through topic sentences or examples found in our texts and explain why the composer did...(Examples why) and how the composer...(techniques to show) and also effectiveness of the techniques and examples and finally we link it back to the question.
is that right? hope it makes sense.
You should be referring to your thesis frequently and nothing should unnecessary in your thesis. You refer to all parts in your paragraphs through smaller arguments which are in your topic sentences. Of course they must somewhat link to the thesis, not completely new arguments.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)