Quote Originally Posted by mcchicken View Post
    um
    So much burn in this thread lol
    Veni, Vidi, Vici

HSC

Re: Good schools in Western Suburbs

Quote Originally Posted by Nailgun View Post
    imo its kind of like a self-fulfilling prophecy
    1. Good teachers and bad teachers are everywhere, but in a class where everyone is at a bare minimum borderline b4/b5, the teacher spends a lot more time focusing on helping high achievers perform (everyone) than in a class where they need to pull up the bottom (and by necessity pay more attention to them). The pace of the class, and the depth of the teaching generally reflects the class ability, and this can hold back gifted students in some situations. When teachers don't need to spend very much time teaching or explaining the content because most kids get it right away more time is spent teaching technique, strategy and the Band 5-6 discriminator questions.
    2. I think you'd be surprised how much parent pressure can motivate someone to perform. There's a fine line however when it becomes too much of course but yeah. When your family sets high expectations of you, you naturally tend to set high expectations of yourself. Then you either perform or burn out lol.
    3. I don't think money plays that big a role tbh, like as long as you are in an environment where you can comfortably afford to live (I'm thinking like 50-60k/year level). That being said, families with a lot of money tend to have bigger expectations of their children. Plenty of schools in the top 30 aren't filled with particularly rich kids.
    4. Here is I think the crux of the issue. In an environment where everyone is talented, competitive and motivated basically everyone else is motivated by osmosis. I attend a top-10 school, and basically everyone is serious about their studies. Everyone intends to go to university, and everyone expects an ATAR of 90+. You don't need to be very self-motivated to work sitting in a classroom where 95+% of people are legitimately working, compared to a school where maybe half the class cares.
    This is probably one of the truest things I've ever read on this site, especially considering my experience at a school that half the time doesn't even rank inside the top 500. Basically all bar one (maybe two) of my teachers focused on teaching the content at the most basic level, without giving that exam technique or attention to detail that the high achieving students in the class needed. I got an ATAR above 90 as dux and got mid-high Band 5s as well as one very high Band 6 for my HSC. And guess what? The high Band 6 subject was largely because of my teacher focusing on the top-end of students rather than the bottom end. We covered everything in extensive detail and did lots of exam preparation, which we didn't do very well in other classes. So it annoys me when people say these things don't have an impact and that everyone is equal when in actuality that is complete rubbish. In fact I'm currently beating people in law school who achieved 97 and 98 ATARs who went to privileged schools.
    4025808, mcchicken and Kolmias like this.

Existential Crisis InsoulvencyReaper's Avatar
    HSC

Quote Originally Posted by nerdasdasd View Post
    Cabra high

Liverpool boys high

Hurstone
    I wouldn't recommend Liverpool Boys - they're close to last (if not last) in school rankings.
    B Business, Accounting and Business Law - UTS #SerialTransferee #EternalStudent #UACHallofFame

HSC

the statements above IR (well, and IR :P ) are so true

my school was 500+ and in most classes I was just so bored because most teachers would just teach the bare bones of the syllabus - never going into detail, never doing much exam technique stuff because half the students had a hard enough time grasping the content let alone how to properly apply that knowledge into detailed responses.

I know a lot of people would say "well the onus is on you to go above and beyond to study and teach yourself blah blah" and yes to a degree that is true and I sure could've done a better job of that and gotten better marks but a) I was never aiming high anyways b) I exceeded my expectations anyways so idc and most importantly, c) even though I could have done more for myself, that doesn't change the fact that I was still at a disadvantage by not being surrounded my peers to push me (there were a few but not many, and not all the high achievers were in my classes) and not having many dedicated teachers who cared less about getting kids to pass and more about getting kids to aim for B5/6.

In fact, the few teachers that really did care about helping students reach their full potential and not just passing were huge inspirations to me and are basically why teaching is a huge passion of mine.

I realise that this POV may sound rude because some students' full potential may be passing marks but I feel this is untrue for the majority of BoS users of whom I am addressing currently sooo... whatever.
    Focus is Key and Kolmias like this.

HSC

Yeah, tbh its pretty clear at my school when a new teacher is used to teaching at a not-so-great school. Most teachers pick up on the difference though and quickly adapt to teaching in that kind of environment. The ones that don't though.......
    Veni, Vidi, Vici

HSC

TBH Penrith is really easy to get into. I got in and didnt study at all for selective like not even a past paper and Im no amazing student, it may be more difficult now tho

HSC

Quote Originally Posted by eyeseeyou View Post
    That's because they've got a partially selective stream and you'll be required to get a high mark to get in. Sefton high is the best partially selective school in NSW (in the HSC) no doubt about that. See it for yourself if you don't believe me
    The only thing carrying Sefton in HSC ranks is its performance in Maths which is up there with many of the fully selective schools. For the rest of the subjects areas, (except maybe History) it's not that great compared to your upper end comprehensive schools.

Ancient Orator
    HSC
    N/A

Quote Originally Posted by Trebla View Post
    The only thing carrying Sefton in HSC ranks is its performance in Maths which is up there with many of the fully selective schools. For the rest of the subjects areas, (except maybe History) it's not that great compared to your upper end comprehensive schools.
    A lot of schools rely on maths to boost their overall school ranks. For Sefton I don't think it's necessarily their maths but their other subjects like science (phys,chem,bio) and english (I heard their english faculty is rough on marking and a lot of their english work is hard). For subjects like the humanities/social sciences and industrial arts I don't think they are doing that well in those areas because they're not that "mainstream" in those areas

Ancient Orator
    HSC
    N/A

Quote Originally Posted by mrstripedshades View Post
    TBH Penrith is really easy to get into. I got in and didnt study at all for selective like not even a past paper and Im no amazing student, it may be more difficult now tho
    Lol wtf. People get tutored for the selective test in year 5/6 and they still can't get in selective

HSC

Good schools in Western Suburbs

A lot of schools rely on maths to boost their overall school ranks. For Sefton I don't think it's necessarily their maths but their other subjects like science (phys,chem,bio) and english (I heard their english faculty is rough on marking and a lot of their english work is hard). For subjects like the humanities/social sciences and industrial arts I don't think they are doing that well in those areas because they're not that "mainstream" in those areas
    If you look at the Distinguished Achievers data, Sefton's key strength has always been in Maths which is where the bulk of the band 6/E4s come from (usually 30-40 for Mathematics, 30-40 for Mathematics Extension 1 and 10-15 for Mathematics Extension 2). On Maths alone, Sefton typically ranks well into the top 30 schools in the state amongst the fully selective schools.

However, its overall rank has historically been in the 50s because every other area is nowhere near as strong. Interestingly, Sefton's performance in English has improved over the years to more 'selective tier' levels since my HSC (there was a time Sefton typically got less than five band 6s for English (Advanced) but these days it is typically around 20+) but that looks like it has been almost completely offset by a decline in performance within the social sciences (i.e. Economics, Business Studies, Legal Studies).

Sefton's performance in the Science subjects has typically not been that great. The fact that you typically have to be within in the top 10 of a large cohort (and sometimes top 5) to have some fighting chance at a band 6 in Chemistry/Physics/Biology resembles more of a highly ranked comprehensive school rather than a selective school.
    Last edited by Trebla; 23 Feb 2016 at 12:13 AM.

HSC

Lol wtf. People get tutored for the selective test in year 5/6 and they still can't get in selective
    people get tutored for selective? o.o

howw? how do you even prepare for it lol
    isnt the point that you cant prepare for it
    Veni, Vidi, Vici

Executive Member
    HSC
    N/A

I tutored selective students about five in 2014, I reckon the motivation is down to the student as well. I purchased some selective materials from specific tutoring clinics and bookstores (you would be actually surprised at how much resources there are available out there) and go through them with students that I taught. Practicing General Ability,Maths, Comprehension and writing again and again goes a long way in getting the student up to the standards they require. The students that I tutored , 4 of them seem motivated and 1 of them seemed unmotivated.

I think for me is with my tutoring, I find it slightly difficult to get the 'unmotivated' students to fire. I teach better when I have the 'keen' students asking me challenging questions as it keeps me on my toes.
    | B Eng (Hons) | IB Mathematics SL | IB Mathematics HL | Australian Cricket | Casual University Statistics Tutor

HSC

You can prepare for it by doing lots of practice as well as understanding the structure of the test and being familiar with the nature of the questions.

HSC

You can prepare for it by doing lots of practice as well as understanding the structure of the test and being familiar with the nature of the questions.
    ..sounds like a waste of time and money tbh lol
    Veni, Vidi, Vici

HSC

Tell that to the coaching colleges which boast very high success rates (which are legit btw) in getting students through the selective test.

Executive Member
    HSC
    N/A

I don't think its a waste of time. The material at that level is quite challenging, the comprehension texts are interesting and different, the maths questions are challenging (its an advantage if you have a year 7-8 knowledge to differentiate the good from the excellent) and writing is subjective but if you have good structures you won't go wrong.

What I did with the students that I tutored for selective was make them go through tests again and again. For one student, I printed out 6 copies of a make up exam and make them go through it again and again. I always tried to give better techniques in studying, in answering questions, time management etc
    | B Eng (Hons) | IB Mathematics SL | IB Mathematics HL | Australian Cricket | Casual University Statistics Tutor

Executive Member
    HSC
    N/A

Tell that to the coaching colleges which boast very high success rates (which are legit btw) in getting students through the selective test.
    Pre-Uni College, James An are 2 of the well known Selective training providers.Read a stat from a SMH online link that said of 13,930 students who attempt the exam, only around 4,188 get accepted, thats roughly around 30% or so. But it seems to me that in NSW getting into a 'selective school' is a big thing.

Ancient Orator
    HSC
    N/A

If you look at the Distinguished Achievers data, Sefton's key strength has always been in Maths which is where the bulk of the band 6/E4s come from (usually 30-40 for Mathematics, 30-40 for Mathematics Extension 1 and 10-15 for Mathematics Extension 2). On Maths alone, Sefton typically ranks well into the top 30 schools in the state amongst the fully selective schools.

However, its overall rank has historically been in the 50s because every other area is nowhere near as strong. Interestingly, Sefton's performance in English has improved over the years to more 'selective tier' levels since my HSC (there was a time Sefton typically got less than five band 6s for English (Advanced) but these days it is typically around 20+) but that looks like it has been almost completely offset by a decline in performance within the social sciences (i.e. Economics, Business Studies, Legal Studies).

Sefton's performance in the Science subjects has typically not been that great. The fact that you typically have to be within in the top 10 of a large cohort (and sometimes top 5) to have some fighting chance at a band 6 in Chemistry/Physics/Biology resembles more of a highly ranked comprehensive school rather than a selective school.
    What rank do you think they'd be without their maths?

Ancient Orator
    HSC
    N/A

Do selective trial tests to get used to the structure and the types of questions asked

Ancient Orator
    HSC
    N/A

Quote Originally Posted by davidgoes4wce View Post
    I don't think its a waste of time. The material at that level is quite challenging, the comprehension texts are interesting and different, the maths questions are challenging (its an advantage if you have a year 7-8 knowledge to differentiate the good from the excellent) and writing is subjective but if you have good structures you won't go wrong.

What I did with the students that I tutored for selective was make them go through tests again and again. For one student, I printed out 6 copies of a make up exam and make them go through it again and again. I always tried to give better techniques in studying, in answering questions, time management etc
    yeah they've got a strict time limit. I think you will do well in Selective school comprehension and writing if you have the high school knowledge and skill (up to year 10 english) which is hard to develop at a year 5/6 level

Any of your students get in selective and if so which school?

Ancient Orator
    HSC
    N/A

Quote Originally Posted by davidgoes4wce View Post
    Pre-Uni College, James An are 2 of the well known Selective training providers.Read a stat from a SMH online link that said of 13,930 students who attempt the exam, only around 4,188 get accepted, thats roughly around 30% or so. But it seems to me that in NSW getting into a 'selective school' is a big thing.
    You forgot partially selective schools as well. By the way Pre uni and James An are crap for high school. Look at someone like Mr Ye

The reason why getting in a selective school would be a big thing is because parents want the best education for their kids and surprisingly enough when these kids are in year 10, they will try to change to a better school because of a better education in the sense that it will be more competitive and there aren't any "drop kicks". Also for harder exams

Ancient Orator
    HSC
    N/A

That's coz they've got a million branches in NSW

Dont.msg.me.about.english nerdasdasd's Avatar
    HSC
    Uni Grad

Buy books. Do IQ tests. Do comprehension tests etc.

Do those enough and you'll ace it.
    HSC PAPERS >>http://sdrv.ms/H3cL7l
    2013 HSC papers >> http://sdrv.ms/H3cOQk
    HSC NOTES >> http://sdrv.ms/GXNPyo
    PHYSICS MC and ANSWERS >> http://sdrv.ms/H3da9C
    PHYSICS CORE OPTIONS HARD TEST (with solutions)>> http://sdrv.ms/GXNTOQ
    Sorted HSC Q's >> https://www.mediafire.com/folder/cls...ns_%2B_options

HSC

What rank do you think they'd be without their maths?
    Without the strength in Maths they would probably rank close to 100.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread Information