Can a school force you to do Standard English? (1 Viewer)

Sokc

HSC
I am in year 10 this year and I wasn't taking English very seriously at the beginning of the year but at parent teacher night (term 3) my teacher informed me that my marks so far this year for the past 3 exams had put me bellow the cutoff for advanced English. As of right now i am trying my hardest to get above the cutoff again but i am afraid i will not make it and will be forced into doing standard english. However one of my friends told me that your school cannot force you to not take a subject unless there is no places left for a certain subject. Is this true and if so can you provide me with a link.
Thanks

Orwell

HSC
At my school, they'll provide you with a sheet detailing what subjects you are eligible for. A lot of my friends didn't receive 'Advanced English' on their sheet but they went to the English coordinator to appeal and were successful. That's just my experience with this type of thing, good luck!

eyeseeyou

HSC
N/A
I am in year 10 this year and I wasn't taking English very seriously at the beginning of the year but at parent teacher night (term 3) my teacher informed me that my marks so far this year for the past 3 exams had put me bellow the cutoff for advanced English. As of right now i am trying my hardest to get above the cutoff again but i am afraid i will not make it and will be forced into doing standard english. However one of my friends told me that your school cannot force you to not take a subject unless there is no places left for a certain subject. Is this true and if so can you provide me with a link.
Thanks
I don't know if they can or not but I know that some schools have a requirement of some sort where you must do well in order to get into advanced english (I think they do this because they don't want the weaker kids dragging the other people down)

You could try and change schools

si2136

HSC
N/A
They can't force you not to do it. If there are classroom issues, then that can be.

pikachu975

Premium Member
HSC
The school has requirements so you should meet them to get in unless you want to write some long letters to the board of studies explaining why you deserve to get into english advanced and "not trying in year 10" won't be enough.

Sokc

HSC
The school has requirements so you should meet them to get in unless you want to write some long letters to the board of studies explaining why you deserve to get into english advanced and "not trying in year 10" won't be enough.
What would be an accepeptable reason then?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)