Should I drop Music? (1 Viewer)

atyl

HSC
Hi guys,

I'm new to the forums, so please let me know if this thread shouldn't actually be here?

So, I'm currently wondering if I should drop Music 1, because while I love music, it's not so much a passion for the whole subject as a well-loved hobby that I picked up as a subject this year because I thought that I could do well. I am currently topping the class, but only by 1-2 marks usually and out of 3 students (originally 5) that doesn't seem like the biggest deal?

So, my subjects are as follows:
1. Advanced English
2. Mathematics
3. Mathematics Extension 1
4. Physics
5. Japanese Beginners
6. Visual Arts
7. Music 1

and I accelerated Mathematics so that's already out of the way. These are my yearly averages from the prelim courses:

1. 66.25%
2. N/A
3. 71%
4. 66.88%
5. 94.75%
6. 89.25%
7. 80.4%

I know that logic dictates that I should be considering dropping Physics and not Music, but I'd like to go into something like Medical Imaging, which requires Physics and I do genuinely enjoy the subject, I just haven't put myself into doing the work this year.

So, (because I apparently don't know how to make any sense at all) just to clarify, I'm aiming for an ATAR of about 98, but of course higher would be preferred ;)

I'm just worried about the workload, because I'm prone to procrastination as it is, and having two major subjects seems to not be the greatest idea for my mental health, considering that after Dec 5 I'll be starting work on my Grade 8 piano AMEB as well... (or Grade 7 again, depends on how I go) so, would it be better to drop down to doing 9 units through this year? I'm getting opposing ideas from teachers I've been talking to, some who think that it's better to do the minimum amount of units and knuckle down on those, and others who believe in carrying through as many units as possible and just seeing how it goes. And these are teachers who I highly respect, so it's a bit difficult to see what would be best for me... even our careers advisor has said to wait till next term and see how I'm going... the answer for right now (about 5 weeks in) is not too great.

I get the feeling that if I try to reach band 6's on all my current subjects (considering my current work ethic, which I am beginning to improve. Starting with a planner.) I may burn out within about half a year, which is precisely the reason that I didn't accept the offer to accelerate physics along with maths.

Thoughts?

P.S. Sorry for the absolute mess that this is, but I am rather worried about it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)