Subject Selection (1 Viewer)

liha

HSC
I'm in year 10. I want to do medicine at uni if not an allied health. I'm aiming to get an atar of 99+ the school I attend is ranked approximately in the 70s it fluctuated a lot in the last few years from 20s to 100s and now up to 70s due to many students leaving. I'm thinking about doing the following subjects for year 11;

― Biology
― Chemistry
― Economics
― English Advanced
― Mathematics 2U
― Physics

note: at my school we're offered to complete 2U maths and bio by year 11, so i'd complete 4 units/10 for HSC and only have like 3 subjects left.

My question is should I do more units of math possibly just Ext.1? Do you need 3U for uni? I'm not necessarily bad at maths I'm in the accelerated class for it. I actually liked maths before, it was my best subject still kinda is but it's the ranking that's really daunting and the competition. I end up making careless mistakes which I'm trying to improve, a few mistakes gets my rank down to like 5th out of the grade. For example; I got 96/100 I was ranked 10th out of the grade. The school's maths department is really good but at the same time I don't want to do anymore maths after year 11 once I complete 2U.

Last edited:

pikachu975

Premium Member
HSC
You listed general maths on your subject list, but I don't think schools allow moving from general maths to extension 1, not sure though... Why do general maths if it's your best subject?

duck4

HSC
My maths teacher is very supportive of the idea of doing maths for the skills you gain, not just the mark you'll get out of it. Because if you do a maths subject at uni, you can frequently get away with not having done extension 1, but it makes it a lot easier at uni if you have already learned the maths in high school, because then you are just cementing your knowledge instead of struggling to understand it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)