Maths department hates 2U students? (1 Viewer)

nerdwithapurpose

HSC
Hi all,

Okay, so I admit that "Maths department hates 2U students" is a bit of an overstatement but its not far from the truth. I feel like the 2U students are not being adequately prepared for assessment tasks and are given a bit of a '2nd class citizen' treatment. We're not being prepared as best as the 3U students or even the accelerants which pushes us behind. I personally have a tutor, but considering I can only afford one for once a week for 1hr, it doesn't substitute for a good teacher who trains us well.

Does anyone have even the smallest bit of advice as to how to handle this?

InteGrand

HSC
N/A
Hi all,

Okay, so I admit that "Maths department hates 2U students" is a bit of an overstatement but its not far from the truth. I feel like the 2U students are not being adequately prepared for assessment tasks and are given a bit of a '2nd class citizen' treatment. We're not being prepared as best as the 3U students or even the accelerants which pushes us behind. I personally have a tutor, but considering I can only afford one for once a week for 1hr, it doesn't substitute for a good teacher who trains us well.

In what sense do you feel that "2U students are not being adequately prepared for assessment tasks and are given a bit of a '2nd class citizen' treatment"? Do you mean the teachers aren't bothering to teach 2U students as well as they are 3U students?

donkily

HSC
N/A
assuming you go to a high ranked school where a large number of students sit 3U and/or 4U maths the sad reality is, most of the schools maths department seem to neglect all the 2u students as they are the minority of the maths cohort (compared to 3U and 4U)

the only thing you can do now is to watch youtube videos (such as Eddie Woo) and/or learn maths by yourself, utilise this forum for help and doing lots of past papers

D94

HSC
N/A
2U is a course that can mostly be self-taught with the right resources. Do you have good textbooks? Do you have access to past papers, not just from your school but from others as well?

astroman

HSC
Hi all,

Regardless of what people say, this is pretty accurate advice. All students at my school were given tests and brief 1 on 1's with teachers before we could choose which math course to do. After year 11 half yearlies, the teachers stressed highly to all those students struggling to get their asses in to general and only insisted on keeping those pushing constant 80+'s in exams to keep on in 2u.

I can't speak for the effort teachers put into specific math classes but I would assume it's as Ext1 and Ext2 usually bring in the best ranks for the school. So, in theory, better ranks means more recognitition, meaning more students, meaning more money.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)