Year 11 Subject advice please (1 Viewer)

nomi

HSC
N/A
Hi there

I am currently in year 10 and about to select my subjects for year 11. I would like to do subjects where my chances of receiving a high ATAR (over 95) are maximised. Do you think I can achieve a high ATAR with these subjects?

* English Advanced
* English Extension
* Advanced Math
* Biology
* Modern History
* Legal Studies
* Economics

Above subjects mean I have 13 units. Should I drop a 2 unit subject in year 11?

What tips can you offer me to receive an ATAR over 95?

Thanks in advance for your help.

laurajayne_

HSC
I think these subjects will stand you in good stead for a high ATAR, however it is alot of intense subjects!
All of these subjects take alot of time and effort. You dont want to spread yourself too thin.

Remember ATAR isn't necessarily how difficult the subjects are, but where you stand in the class.
If you do a not-so-hard subject, but top the class, that will give you a better ATAR.

For example, below are my scores... I did basic subjects, but still was very happy with my ATAR.
By choosing easier versions of maths and english, I was able to pour my efforts into Legal and Science which I loved.
Legal Studies - 90
Science - 96
General Maths - 95
Standard English - 89
Accounting - 76

ATAR 90.65

Above all make sure you are doing subjects you LOVE :) Because these are the ones you will put the most effort into, and therefore get the best results in.

nomi

HSC
N/A
I think these subjects will stand you in good stead for a high ATAR, however it is alot of intense subjects!
All of these subjects take alot of time and effort. You dont want to spread yourself too thin.

Remember ATAR isn't necessarily how difficult the subjects are, but where you stand in the class.
If you do a not-so-hard subject, but top the class, that will give you a better ATAR.

For example, below are my scores... I did basic subjects, but still was very happy with my ATAR.
By choosing easier versions of maths and english, I was able to pour my efforts into Legal and Science which I loved.
Legal Studies - 90
Science - 96
General Maths - 95
Standard English - 89
Accounting - 76

ATAR 90.65

Above all make sure you are doing subjects you LOVE :) Because these are the ones you will put the most effort into, and therefore get the best results in.
Thank you. I appreciate the help.

Do I need to do legal studies in HSC if I want to do law at uni?

Maths is my weak subject - should I do advanced maths?

I am good at English but don't necessarily like it. Given that, is advanced English appropriate for me?

Thanks again :)

si2136

HSC
N/A
Hi there

I am currently in year 10 and about to select my subjects for year 11. I would like to do subjects where my chances of receiving a high ATAR (over 95) are maximised. Do you think I can achieve a high ATAR with these subjects?

* English Advanced
* English Extension
* Advanced Math
* Biology
* Modern History
* Legal Studies
* Economics

Above subjects mean I have 13 units. Should I drop a 2 unit subject in year 11?

What tips can you offer me to receive an ATAR over 95?

Thanks in advance for your help.
Only 10 units count. Usually people do 10-12 units in the HSC.

duck4

HSC

I am good at English but don't necessarily like it. Given that, is advanced English appropriate for me?

If you don't love English reconsider doing Extension 1, because its a subject you should only do if you are interested in it. I'm not really sure about maths. I'd start in advanced, because you always have the option to drop later. It is very useful for many uni course (I'm assuming you want to go to uni) and I've heard that it will become a prerequisite for entry to some unis (although this is just hearsay, if anyone has anything concrete on this it would be good to know). Hope this helps :)

boredofstudiesuser1

HSC

Legal Studies - 90
Science - 96
General Maths - 95
Standard English - 89
Accounting - 76

ATAR 90.65

By Accounting, do you mean Financial Services?

Frostguard

HSC

No you do not necessarily need to take Legal Studies if you want to do law at university, but it does give you a good indication if you're interested in law and if you would understand the concepts because university will be a much more advanced and in depth version of Legal Studies.

As for maths, you're just like me, you could try Advanced Maths for the time being and if you can't handle the workload, understand the concepts and perform badly, then drop to general like I did, but in doing so, I recommend to get a good HSC mark, maybe above 90 not to get scaled down and whatnot. Luckily General is tons easier to understand then normal advanced math but yeah just take into account university prerequisites (usyd 2019 advanced maths prerequisites for some courses ) but yeah if you can handle it, take it.

Like the others said, if you're good at English but not necessarily enjoy or have interest in, then maybe think about choosing English Extension, because if you don't really like English, you're kinda just going to sit in those classes and not have motivation and concentration to do well, but because you're good at English, take Advanced English because I'm sure you can handle the extra work and expectations from the teachers and stuff, also standard English isn't as good in terms of scaling, but as I like to say - never let external factors influence subject selection such as scaling and always choose subjects you like and have interest in. Good Luck :)

BLIT2014

The pessimistic optimist.
HSC
Uni Grad

Do Advanced English. It has much better aligning.

blackbird_14

HSC
Do Advanced English. It has much better aligning.
And also, if you don't do extension English, you have more time to focus on getting good marks in Adv. Engljsh (which defs counts in atar calculations)

sourmilk

HSC
Don't drop a subject in Year 11 as syllabus changes. It's cool that you're gonna be that kid who gets free periods in Year 11 until you start the course for a subject and you realise you have immense regret.

Personally, I didn't like advanced english however I was good at it - so I took on extension as well. It was kind of refreshing, since in extension you only do one essay and one creative compared to advanced. However, if you don't like writing essays stay clear. Also the scaling was kind of amazing. Besides, it's one unit so it really doesn't hurt to test the waters and see if you like it or not.

Pro-tip: You can use your extension creative for advanced :p saves you plenty of time

stopcrying

HSC
Those are fantastic subjects; make sure you keep Advanced English and Advanced Maths as they are well worth the scaling they have over their standard counterparts. Also, Advanced Maths gives a very useful fundamental understanding of maths you might need to do in Uni thus it keeps your options open if you end up deciding not to do law.

Legal Studies is not required for law in university but i would suggest doing it because for me personally, even though i'm good at it, i would NOT want to study this for my career. It can open your eyes to if you would really be interested in law or not.

Do all your subjects in year 11 and then drop your least favourite 2units (+ english extension if you aren't the best at that) and focus all your energy into your remaining units.

Also just a warning do not give up on a subject too early. My friend thought for sure he was going to drop legal studies during year 11 and ended up doing fine in it and dropping economics instead.

Hope this helps!

Lumenoria

HSC
I'm in the middle of Year 11 and doing the exact same subjects as you, except I'm doing multimedia instead of modern history. I love English Extension, but I would only recommend it if you enjoy the subject. It requires a much deeper level of critical analysis that you're used to in the typical English courses, so you have to take interest in it to succeed. Half my cohort dropped it because they took it only for the scaling and realised they were unable to take on such a heavy workload for a subject they hated. Plus, Advanced English is already dense in terms of workload so just be mindful of that. Good luck! :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)