But why (1 Viewer)

DM_10

HSC
Uni Grad
Just wondering why do we need to learn bout poems, discovery and novels for english. Legit don't understand why, it gives me a hard ass time plus its just boring af in general. Can anyone hmu with tips that kept them motivated for this subject? I don't want to fail for sht but this subject man I hate it to the bone

pikachu975

Premium Member
HSC
Just wondering why do we need to learn bout poems, discovery and novels for english. Legit don't understand why, it gives me a hard ass time plus its just boring af in general. Can anyone hmu with tips that kept them motivated for this subject? I don't want to fail for sht but this subject man I hate it to the bone
It's intended so we learn how to write properly and communicate properly but in the end it turned out as a rote subject + adapting to a question.

Just think of it like, just 1.5 more terms and it's done.

DM_10

HSC
Uni Grad
1.5 terms sounds promising but at the same time seems so long (even though it's really short).

Thanks anyways

Kolmias

HSC
See I'm one of those dumbasses that doesn't know sht for sht, chose to do atar and somehow I'm about to graduate in a few months. Would be mad if you could elaborate
We live in an country that speaks English. Every single thing involves language. If you're going for a job, have poor English skills and your application reads like crap, you probably won't get the job.

You want to start a small business. You have to write up a business plan and send it in to the bank who will decide whether or not you get the loan. English skills once again.

You've got an office job and the boss wants you to write a report. English skills again.

The actual content of the English course doesn't really matter. You could seriously spend two years watching Family Guy and writing essays on it and you could learn the same skills. The main benefit of doing English is that you learn to write well, something loads of adults fail with.

DM_10

HSC
Uni Grad
We live in an country that speaks English. Every single thing involves language. If you're going for a job, have poor English skills and your application reads like crap, you probably won't get the job.

You want to start a small business. You have to write up a business plan and send it in to the bank who will decide whether or not you get the loan. English skills once again.

You've got an office job and the boss wants you to write a report. English skills again.

The actual content of the English course doesn't really matter. You could seriously spend two years watching Family Guy and writing essays on it and you could learn the same skills. The main benefit of doing English is that you learn to write well, something loads of adults fail with.
AHH true aye, didn't think of it that way

sourmilk

HSC
English is not about learning Shakespeare, Judith Wright, or George Orwell. It isn't rote learning essays and short stories in order to mass dump in a 2 hour exam.

English you acquire a skill to learn analytically and critically.

Believe it or not, you need this skill for every part of life. Even if you think English is useless, you still need to write essays in every discipline in Uni. Furthermore, English also allows people to have a deeper understanding of the English culture - which is kind of important IMHO.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)