IB Subject Selections, 4HL Subjects?? (1 Viewer)

lmaoslastdancer

HSC
Dear all,

I am currently in year 10 and am experiencing difficulty finalising my subject choices.

Currently, my choices stand as follows:

HL ENGLISH

HL ECONOMICS

HL BIOLOGY

HL CHEMISTRY

SL MATHS

SL CHINESE

I plan to study medicine after I graduate, however, in Australia, HL chemistry and HL biology is not a requirement for the universities I am gunning for, as the other option apart from the IB, the HSC, does not include extension sciences.

In my most recent school report (last week), I received A's across the board for my 8 subjects: extension science, extension maths, history, Chinese, French, extension English, RaVE, PDHPE.

The IB coordinator at our school stated that it was wise to star off with 4 HL's, especially chemistry, as it is more intellectually satisfying and covers university topics. Moreover, he stated that if it became too hard, I could drop it down at the end of year 11 to SL. Seeing as the final exam counts for near 80% of the final grade, assessment in year 11 wouldn't count for much, therefore, I wouldn't have much to lose.

Despite these benefits, I am still hesitant as I could possibly waste time focusing on this HL in the first year, and then drop it down, meaning that precious time I could've spent on other subjects disappears.

I was just wondering if any of you had started with 4 HL's (especially chemistry) and how hard you found it to manage.

Moreover, if any of you have taken HL chemistry, could you please tell me how you've found it, and it's level of difficulty, and any tips on how to manage it.

Thanks a lot!

Drongoski

HSC
N/A
lastdancer

I don't think you will find many IB students on Bored.

Starting off with HL Chemistry, as suggested, may help you in two ways: when and if you drop to SL later, your engagement with HL will make your SL easy and when you later do Medicine, you will find the more advanced content of advantage, especially in understanding the parts that require a background in chemistry. I myself am not qualified to comment on Chemistry HL - but you can always talk to your school's current Yr 11 and Yr 12 kids about their experience with HL.

As for choosing Maths SL, as I have said so before, it is a good idea. Why do a very difficult course, not that you cannot handle it, when you are not accorded any additional credit for undertaking it. Besides, for Medicine, SL is plenty.

lmaoslastdancer

HSC
lastdancer

I don't think you will find many IB students on Bored.

Starting off with HL Chemistry, as suggested, may help you in two ways: when and if you drop to SL later, your engagement with HL will make your SL easy and when you later do Medicine, you will find the more advanced content of advantage, especially in understanding the parts that require a background in chemistry. I myself am not qualified to comment on Chemistry HL - but you can always talk to your school's current Yr 11 and Yr 12 kids about their experience with HL.

As for choosing Maths SL, as I have said so before, it is a good idea. Why do a very difficult course, not that you cannot handle it, when you are not accorded any additional credit for undertaking it. Besides, for Medicine, SL is plenty.
Thanks Drongoski, I hear a lot of people that start with 4HL's (especially Chenistry) and often drop it down. I'm not sure if I want to be spending time on a subject that may detract me from subjects I am sure to keep. Moreover, I still question if universities' consider students with 4HL's more highly, however I do not think this is the case. Furthermore, I require a very high atar to be accepted into medicine, and do not want to sacrifice points that I would've earring had I not done HL Chemistry. Despite a passionate interest and strength in the subject, I remain unsure...

Drongoski

HSC
N/A
You are right: the uni's have no provision for valuing Chemistry HL more highly than SL; possible benefits are as I pointed out.

In my opinion it is easier to get a 99.95 (and 99.90 and 99.85) ATAR via the IB programme. I'm not an expert but feel that the ATAR awarded to IB unduly favours it over the HSC; i.e. in my view it is easier to get >= 99.80 via the IB than the NSW HSC.

But, each year tiny Singapore manages to obtain over 50 x 45's (the perfect score) unmatched by Australia..

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)