Choosing Subjects (1 Viewer)

Wurger

HSC
I am going to do Ext His in Year 12.

I currently do Modern and Ancient, and a total of 12 units (going to drop 1 u for ext his)

Is Ext His worth the struggle? And since I'm a history fanatic, will it help me get a higher atar (does it scale well etc)

What are the positives and negatives?

My writing is not the best, but I still get consistent A's in advanced english, should I do it?

And finally, is it possible to get full, or near full (47-49/50) in ext his?
Thanks

Lumenoria

HSC
Hey, I don't do any history subjects but I've heard that despite its decent scaling, it scales quite low for an Extension subject. (lower than English Extension 1 and Maths Extension 1) But if you do well, then this really shouldn't be a major area of concern.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

schoolscribe

HSC
Hey, it's been a few years since I did HSC. When do/did you have to choose subjects by?

grigsonator99

HSC
Hi Wurger

I'm currently studying Extension History for my HSC this year.

I would really encourage you to pick up the subject for your HSC year, as it is a challenging, yet rewarding subject to complete.

In terms of content, it isn't as demanding as other Extension Subjects, but you are still required to put in the effort, both in your exams, and your major.

With your major, it is about a topic of your choosing, as long as it isn't covered in any of the histories, both prelim and HSC. The major allows you to put your historiography skills to the test in an area of study that best suits you. You are given quite a bit of class time to complete the project. As long as you research your topics concisely, and have a continuous flow with your progress, you should do fine.

In terms of writing, you are expected to write 2 25 marker essays in both the Trials and the HSC. Whilst it can get a bit tiring after a while, and you lose consistency with your handwriting, as long as you know what your arguments are, then the paragraphs would just flow straight to you.

Whilst it is an extension subject, it doesn't scale that well like English Ext. or Math Ext. However, like all other subjects, its not the scaling that matters! It's the enjoyment you're experiencing in the subject. If you enjoy a subject, you'll do well in it. If you don't you're gonna falter.

Finally, my advice is to pick up Ext History, but don't drop any subjects yet. Have a taste as to what History Extension is, and before the end of term, make up your mind by then.

I hope that clears things up for you! Good luck with History Extension should you pick it up!

HSC
Hey, they say if you love something, if never begins to feel like 'work'.

I would recommend picking it up. I don't do it, but i've heard lots of praise from my classmates that do it. You gain a more holistic scope on the practice of history as a whole, rather than a conflict, personality or period in time. It's treated more as a university level of study and my school's class got to go to USYD to get a lecture from one of the professors there. I've also heard some of the stuff you cover in extension is transferable to modern, e.g. the revisionist outlook on the cause of Pearl Harbour for Conflict in the Pacific. The only negative i can think of is doing morning or afternoon lessons, although my school's class had breakfast and snacks prepared by the teacher, so yeah.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)