Should I repeat year 12? (1 Viewer)

SlickMastaChing

HSC
Hi there, im currently in year 12 and am about to finish trials.
in year 11 i was diagnosed with depression (i also have ADHD) my parents thought i would be fine, so i never got any treatment for it.
right now with how my marks are, i'd be lucky if i got a 50+ atar (really lucky). i wanted to do Adv science (computer science) at UNSW, i know that if i get help and treatment for my depression and put my all in, if i repeat i could be looking at a 80 - 90 atar. plus i know the syllabus back to front so i would know what and how to prepare. i'm worried about how others would treat me, as ive never had many friends ever in my life, also if i get an atar of 50 and do a shit course at a shit uni, is it possible to transfer to a course with an atar requirement of 96? also can you please explain how transferring works. it be much appreciated if anyone could reply quickly as i don't have much time left to make my decision, if i do repeat i will have to drop out now so i can get some time to get treatment for my depression.

thanks in advance.

EDIT*: my current subjects are: Gen Maths, Stnd Eng, Phys, Business, IPT. if i do repeat would i be allowed to move up to adv eng and would it be worth moving up?

Last edited:

Jaxxnuts

HSC
N/A
No

It's an absolute waste of time

Once you get to uni, no one cares about the HSC any longer

In your case you could apply for EAS (bonus points)

KingOfActing

lukewarm mess
HSC
I wouldn't recommend repeating - apply for a degree that you think is achievable for your ATAR then apply for internal transfer after a semester or two.

pikachu975

Premium Member
HSC
No

It's an absolute waste of time

Once you get to uni, no one cares about the HSC any longer

In your case you could apply for EAS (bonus points)
I don't think EAS will give 40 bonus points

I wouldn't recommend repeating - apply for a degree that you think is achievable for your ATAR then apply for internal transfer after a semester or two.

Good advice - if you repeat what if you don't do as well and actually do bad again you just wasted a whole year? So just pick a degree with the atar you get and try to transfer and if you don't then just keep the degree you chose.

Queenroot

I complete the Squar3
HSC
N/A
You will be elligible for Eas and scholarships so even if you don't end up getting comp sci at your desired uni, u can start doing it elsewhere then transit to unsw a year later

Queenroot

I complete the Squar3
HSC
N/A
Anything with a comp sci degree? Would recommend checking the credit transfer tool at unsw to see how much credit they will accept from another uni.

Jaxxnuts

HSC
N/A
I don't think EAS will give 40 bonus points

Good advice - if you repeat what if you don't do as well and actually do bad again you just wasted a whole year? So just pick a degree with the atar you get and try to transfer and if you don't then just keep the degree you chose.
true

better getting some bonus points than none

If you are desperate to catch up in uni you can "overload" or take trisemesters/summer classes and hopefully you'll be at the same pace as your peers (but you will need a HD wam to show that you are capable of doing so)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)