should i do hsc over two years? i desperately need some suggestions and guidance pls (1 Viewer)

fizzfuzz

HSC
N/A
So today my dad and i had a meeting with the deputy principal about me doing the hsc over two years honestly only because according to my dad i can achieve a better atar and less workload and also because im younger than most of the other students in my year and also i really want to do 4u math but since i didn't finish hsc 2u i cant do it as it runs at the same time as 2u math so if i do the hsc over two years i'll finish 2u math the first year then be able to do 4u math the following year.
the subjects im currently doing are:
-2u math
-standard english
-biology
-chemistry
-if i do hsc in one year i'll have to do sor 2u instead of 3u and 4u math
(prelim i did 2u math, chem, bio, 3u math and sor 1 unit and standard english)
can someone please tell me what i should do and also if i should do it over two years which subjects i should do but please keep in mind the syllabus changes

plus i want to get into med in uni (sydney uni) and that means i'll have to the UMAT so if i do it over 2 years i get two shots at UMAT and also higher chance of passing...

tbh i feel like it's gonna be embarrassing doing it over two years as i dont want people to think i have some disorder or anything and also all my friends would have finished their hsc and would already be chasing their careers whilst im still in high school and doing hsc all by

as you can see from my thread im bad at english and thus why i am doing standard

Last edited:

asKim

HSC
Re: should i do hsc over two years? i desperately need some suggestions and guidance

So today my dad and i had a meeting with the deputy principal about me doing the hsc over two years honestly only because according to my dad i can achieve a better atar and less workload and also because im younger than most of the other students in my year and also i really want to do 4u math but since i didn't finish hsc 2u i cant do it as it runs at the same time as 2u math so if i do the hsc over two years i'll finish 2u math the first year then be able to do 4u math.
the subjects im currently doing are:
-2u math
-standard english
-biology
-chemistry
-if i do hsc in one year i'll have to do sor 2u instead of 3u and 4u math
(prelim i did 2u math, chem, bio, 3u math and sor 1 unit and standard english)
can someone please tell me what i should do and also if i should do it over two years which subjects i should do but please keep in mind the syllabus changes

as you can see from my thread im bad at english and thus why i am doing standard
Honestly, your ATAR is important but i really feel like its not the point you need 2 years. If youre thinking about like doing medicine and/or law and you really want to, then I guess you can? But thats if you use that time to put your all into that extra 1 year. But I just feel like theres so many different pathways you can go to with and without an ATAR that it would just be a waste of a year that you could put elsewhere. But it is all up to you, if you think you can get that 'high' ATAR you want with another year of HSC then yeah, but if you think the ATAR difference will only be slight with that extra year then i'd say nah.
Best of Luck.

Sent from my HTC_0PKX2 using Tapatalk

fizzfuzz

HSC
N/A
Re: should i do hsc over two years? i desperately need some suggestions and guidance

Honestly, your ATAR is important but i really feel like its not the point you need 2 years. If youre thinking about like doing medicine and/or law and you really want to, then I guess you can? But thats if you use that time to put your all into that extra 1 year. But I just feel like theres so many different pathways you can go to with and without an ATAR that it would just be a waste of a year that you could put elsewhere. But it is all up to you, if you think you can get that 'high' ATAR you want with another year of HSC then yeah, but if you think the ATAR difference will only be slight with that extra year then i'd say nah.
Best of Luck.

Sent from my HTC_0PKX2 using Tapatalk
thanks i really appreciate your suggestion and will keep it in mind as i have to make the decision today

Snowflek

HSC

Yeah, i agree with askim. Were in Australia and we're filled with opportunity. There are other pathways into uni, but if you really want to do two years of high school, then go for it. Personally for me, if my dad made me do 2 years of high school, ill just drop out and go tafe, do something in tafe that i enjoy then transfer into uni (as some courses in tafe that you do for 1 year will also count as 1 year in uni so when you get into uni youre in ur 2nd year - based on what my friend said on nursing). I'll drop out because time is precious, and like askim said, you could be using that 1 year of time elsewhere. And like you said aswell, it just feels embarrassing. But its up to you.

fizzfuzz

HSC
N/A

Yeah, i agree with askim. Were in Australia and we're filled with opportunity. There are other pathways into uni, but if you really want to do two years of high school, then go for it. Personally for me, if my dad made me do 2 years of high school, ill just drop out and go tafe, do something in tafe that i enjoy then transfer into uni (as some courses in tafe that you do for 1 year will also count as 1 year in uni so when you get into uni youre in ur 2nd year - based on what my friend said on nursing). I'll drop out because time is precious, and like askim said, you could be using that 1 year of time elsewhere. And like you said aswell, it just feels embarrassing. But its up to you.
i really dont want to do the hsc over two years... honestly im lost i dont know what to do....

Snowflek

HSC

i really dont want to do the hsc over two years... honestly im lost i dont know what to do....
Let yourself decide. Think about what will happen if you do repeat. Don't just do what your dad tells you, but do take into consideration of what he says as you are his son and he cares for you. Just think about the future.

fizzfuzz

HSC
N/A

Let yourself decide. Think about what will happen if you do repeat. Don't just do what your dad tells you, but do take into consideration of what he says as you are his son and he cares for you. Just think about the future.
It’s not repeating it’s basically splitting up the subjects over two years... I was on the verge of making the decision to do it one year and then I realised I’m not a hard working student... I’m the student that studies day before the exam and comes first or in the top 5....and so if I have more time I’ll be able to go gym and also get into Sydney uni and be able to do medicine cause I’ll have a really high chance of getting 99.95 and also passing Umat...
I’ll prolly end up doing it over two years so what subjects should I do in the first year? Standard English or chem?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jazz519

HSC
Uni Grad

It’s not repeating it’s basically splitting up the subjects over two years... I was on the verge of making the decision to do it one year and then I realised I’m not a hard working student... I’m the student that studies day before the exam and comes first or in the top 5....and so if I have more time I’ll be able to go gym and also get into Sydney uni and be able to do medicine cause I’ll have a really high chance of getting 99.95 and also passing Umat...
I’ll prolly end up doing it over two years so what subjects should I do in the first year? Standard English or chem?

It's your choice but in my opinion I don't think its a good idea to do it over two years, as it probably won't significantly impact your ATAR like maybe it might change 1 point overall (from experience most people kind of know what ATAR they are going to get by end of term 2 as their intelligence and effort usually won't change from what they have already done and for UMAT it's basically like an iq test in terms of the questions are similar in the two, so even if you take it like 3 or 4 times you might see patterns but most people barely improve on their results, meaning its highly unlikely you can go from like a 50 score (just a random number) to a 95 from two shots at it), but is that really worth it to spend 2 years at school (cause by about the end of term 2 most people, myself included are so fed up and done with school and just want the HSC to be over), because as you said your not a hard working student, so I can't see any benefit from spending 2 years, considering most people would think that the only benefit to doing it over 2 years is spending more time studying their subjects, which at the same time does not guarantee improved marks as one of my friends who constantly studied like 4 hours a day (excluding hw) and longer on weekends, like this guy would be only studying and sleeping practically without much breaks or leisure time, ended up with like a high 97 ATAR (it was a good result for him, but shows spending more time studying doesn't equate to a 99.95, which is extremely difficult to achieve even with like advanced English, as you practically have to be on the verge of or state ranking multiple subjects, which with standard English I have never seen done before. Which even I didn't even get close to with almost a state rank in English and pretty high marks everywhere else)

Anyway though if you don't get into med after those two years you would have wasted a year where you could have started a degree and finished it a year earlier and then applied to do postgraduate medicine, while still holding a back-up degree in case that doesn't work out

Last edited:

pikachu975

Premium Member
HSC

To get 99.95 you need to be a hard working student. There's NO way you can get 99.95 if you don't work hard as you basically need like 95 in all your subjects which is hard to achieve in standard as it doesn't align much. Also sydney uni doesn't require UMAT.

Snowflek

HSC

Ah yeah, my bad. Bad word choice of mine.

fizzfuzz

HSC
N/A

It's your choice but in my opinion I don't think its a good idea to do it over two years, as it probably won't significantly impact your ATAR like maybe it might change 1 point overall (from experience most people kind of know what ATAR they are going to get by end of term 2 as their intelligence and effort usually won't change from what they have already done and for UMAT it's basically like an iq test in terms of the questions are similar in the two, so even if you take it like 3 or 4 times you might see patterns but most people barely improve on their results, meaning its highly unlikely you can go from like a 50 score (just a random number) to a 95 from two shots at it), but is that really worth it to spend 2 years at school (cause by about the end of term 2 most people, myself included are so fed up and done with school and just want the HSC to be over), because as you said your not a hard working student, so I can't see any benefit from spending 2 years, considering most people would think that the only benefit to doing it over 2 years is spending more time studying their subjects, which at the same time does not guarantee improved marks as one of my friends who constantly studied like 4 hours a day (excluding hw) and longer on weekends, like this guy would be only studying and sleeping practically without much breaks or leisure time, ended up with like a high 97 ATAR (it was a good result for him, but shows spending more time studying doesn't equate to a 99.95, which is extremely difficult to achieve even with like advanced English, as you practically have to be on the verge of or state ranking multiple subjects, which with standard English I have never seen done before. Which even I didn't even get close to with almost a state rank in English and pretty high marks everywhere else)

Anyway though if you don't get into med after those two years you would have wasted a year where you could have started a degree and finished it a year earlier and then applied to do postgraduate medicine, while still holding a back-up degree in case that doesn't work out
omg i really appreciate you using your time trying to help me out and decide what i should do and a huge congratulations to you on your 99.7 atar you worked hard and absolutely deserve it...im looking at your marks and i see you got soo high and im wondering if i can even achieve those marks over two years... and if i wanted to transfer to med from another course id have to do gamsat which is a 6hour exam and has essay writing in it and theres no way im gonna pass that...i get what youre trying to say about wanting hsc over and done with i want that right now lmaoooo....im gonna follow what my dad says so i dont have any regrets and soo he doesnt talk shit later on if i get a shitty atar doing hsc in one year...i wish i did compression maths and bio in year 11 but unfortunately i didnt know that was being offered until it was too late.... FML

fizzfuzz

HSC
N/A

To get 99.95 you need to be a hard working student. There's NO way you can get 99.95 if you don't work hard as you basically need like 95 in all your subjects which is hard to achieve in standard as it doesn't align much. Also sydney uni doesn't require UMAT.
lmao no one in my school has gotten over 90 for standard english and overall my school is pretty shitty at english... im gonna ask the principal if i can do advanced english if not im prolly screwed or will have to work my butt off and become the first student to get band 6 in standard english... i hope i can get 99.95 and also best of luck with your hsc...

fizzfuzz

HSC
N/A

Guys I’m still not sure and I’m scared af atm [emoji31][emoji31][emoji31]idk what to dooooooooo

jazz519

HSC
Uni Grad

Guys I’m still not sure and I’m scared af atm [emoji31][emoji31][emoji31]idk what to dooooooooo

Not to sound like I'm being an asshole, but this type of like fear of an ATAR result isn't healthy, i.e. it is normal to be sort of anxious about the HSC, since it is important in the sense that it lets you get into your desired uni course the first time round and may offer you scholarship or other prospects, but it shouldn't be a time where you are so worried about everything to the point of being scared of parents and school friends reactions, and stressing over doing 2 and 3 unit maths, and not 4 unit maths (since you can get 99 ATARs with either), since not getting exactly what you want is not the end of the road in Australia as there are different pathways to whatever goal you want, if you are determined and willing to put the work in. Saying that it already seems like you have made up your mind since everyone on this thread practically said not to do it over 2 years, yet you had reasons to refute against and it seems you have already planned out your university degree hopes and career path with med (make sure you have some type of back up plan to this as med is really difficult to get into and most people who want to do it don't get in. In my school a DUX with a 99.5 didnt even get an interview). So I think you should just do it over 2 years, because of what I said before, as it's not that big of a deal, if you do it over one or two years in the big scheme of things, if you don't really care about spending an extra year at school.

jazz519

HSC
Uni Grad

Not to sound like I'm being an asshole, but this type of like fear of an ATAR result isn't healthy, i.e. it is normal to be sort of anxious about the HSC, since it is important in the sense that it lets you get into your desired uni course the first time round and may offer you scholarship or other prospects, but it shouldn't be a time where you are so worried about everything to the point of being scared of parents and school friends reactions, and stressing over doing 2 and 3 unit maths, and not 4 unit maths (since you can get 99 ATARs with either), since not getting exactly what you want is not the end of the road in Australia as there are different pathways to whatever goal you want, if you are determined and willing to put the work in. Saying that it already seems like you have made up your mind since everyone on this thread practically said not to do it over 2 years, yet you had reasons to refute against and it seems you have already planned out your university degree hopes and career path with med (make sure you have some type of back up plan to this as med is really difficult to get into and most people who want to do it don't get in. In my school a DUX with a 99.5 didnt even get an interview). So I think you should just do it over 2 years, because of what I said before, as it's not that big of a deal, if you do it over one or two years in the big scheme of things, if you don't really care about spending an extra year at school.

Just adding onto this, are you aware the syllabus is changing in 2019, so if you do it over two years then you will have subjects in different syllabuses, which might be problematic as the preliminary syllabus will change too and they may decide to include questions from preliminary in HSC exams like they already do in maths since they will be making new types of exams

Last edited:

fizzfuzz

HSC
N/A

Just adding onto this, are you aware the syllabus is changing in 2019, so if you do it over two years then you will have subjects in different syllabuses, which might be problematic as the preliminary syllabus will change too and they may decide to include questions from preliminary in HSC exams like they already do in maths since they will be making new types of exams
I’m gonna speak with the teachers tomorrow about this and am gonna ask the principal if I can do advanced English and yes I know the syllabus is gonna change so If I did that two year thing i would have done 3u,4u and business studies the syllabus for business studies isn’t gonna change and for math I can just always learn the new concepts and go tutoring for it... and as you said before everyone just wants hsc over and done with, The thing is I don’t think I’ll have enough motivational to study and do well if I do it over two years as I’ll soo much and most likely procrastinate and even if I go tutoring it’s also about the work I’ll put in and I’ll most likely hate school and hate my life if I do it over two years. As I said before I’m not a hard working student but I’m willing to put in all my effort in this one year to achieve a 99+ atar and I’m not sure if I even want to do medicine it’s because my dad wants me to do it and my family also... if I pass umat and the interview then I’ll pursue career in medicine but if I don’t then I’ll have to do something else which I’m not sure of yet

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)