Not sure if I should drop Extension English 1 for HSC? HELP!! (1 Viewer)

ldvd216

HSC
Hey guys,
First post on Bored of Studies!! Anyways, not sure if I should drop Extension English, just finished Year 11 (Im currently doing 14 Units: Ext Maths, Ext Eng, Bio, Physics, Chem & Economics) however I have already dropped Ext Math to 2U so I have 13.

PROS:
- Enjoyable subject
- Great and very experienced teacher
- Getting A Range in every assessment
- Teacher thinks I will continue this trend all the way through to the HSC
- If I put in less effort (eg 25% less) he believes I will still maintain my position in the top 3
- Half Yearly results was 88%
- Skills learnt in Ext 1 can be extended to Advanced English (thus bettering marks in both subjects)

CONS:
- Effort (at least 8-10 hours spent writing essay and another 3-4 hours spent practicing)
- I don't necessarily need the extra unit
- May affect my other subjects if I don't manage my time.
- Pressure for tests to memorise all the texts (I believe Adv + Ext = 7ish texts to memorise)(Not even sure if I like the memorisation approach)

Anyways, if you guys can offer any input it would be much appreciated!!

BlueFreckles

HSC
Hi there!

I am in Year 12 (about to do the HSC) and do Extension 1 English. Based on your post I think keeping Extension English would be a good idea. If you enjoyed it in Year 11 you will probably enjoy Year 12 as well, perhaps even more. I personally hated it in Year 11 but loved the elective we did in Year 12 (After the Bomb) and found the subject very enjoyable. You also seem to be doing very well in it.

However, 13 units can be a lot and as you mention, you would be dedicating time to subjects that won't count. I started Year 12 with 14 units and then dropped to 12. I know several people who maintained 13 or 14 units throughout the whole HSC and they managed to varying degrees, it just depends on the person and the subjects I guess. You could always keep all your units for the first term and see how you manage.

What are your results and ranks like in your other subjects? Is there a particular reason why Extension English is the one you are contemplating to drop and not the others?

Overall, I think dropping a subject would probably be a good idea in most cases but you seem to be doing very well in it so maybe it is worth keeping, even just for the first term or so to see how you go.

ldvd216

HSC
Thanks for the advice! Ive decided to keep Extension English for now after getting my Yearly results back (22/25 for essay, 21/25 for creative). Thanks again for the advice!

ldvd216

HSC
Good luck for the HSC! Hope the English papers went ok!

BLIT2014

The pessimistic optimist.
HSC
Uni Grad
Thanks for the advice! Ive decided to keep Extension English for now after getting my Yearly results back (22/25 for essay, 21/25 for creative). Thanks again for the advice!
Not to mention if you stuff up a advanced, then it can partially fixed your english mark.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)