Page 2 of 26 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: People who got >90 in subjects: how did you study?

magic mirror

'Slice of Heaven' and 'drolle'

congrats to both of u (and to everyone else)

But i liked the contrast between the two ways of studying. Slice of Heaven having done "excessive studying" to the verge of a breakdown, and drolle doin most of the work staying awake in class.

Personally, I've had to use both methods in different situations to get where I am.

For english, it was fully working my butt off, churning like 50-70 pages of notes, and then writing practice essays upon practice essays. I reckon 95% of my studies was on english.

And for phys and chem I just fell asleep half the time in class, just tuning in once in a while.

For maths my teacher let me listen to music, in class.

So how you study really depends what your weaknesses are. IMO there's a minimum mark you can get without any work at all, and there's a maximum mark you can get no matter how much you study.

And did i mention that you should measure effectiveness, not hours?
    *yawn*

HSC
    N/A
    well as someone said before, it depends on the subject.

But for english, do past trials/practice papers and give them to ur teacher to mark. Also learn quotes which can be applied to more than just one theme. Um... also with each text be aware of themes, techniques, characters and quotes.

With maths, do the same with English cept u can mark the questions urself as past papers and trials have answers

I did business and basically learn all syllabus points. That way if u get stuck just regurgitate the dot points back and write something about them. Business is also part logic anyway (well for me it was).

And as spice girl said, it's effectiveness not hours.

also, never underestimate your ability coz i know i did during the year and was even set on going to tafe next yr coz i didn't think i'd make it into uni but i have. and another thing i found to be helpful was to share notes with friends in different classes. And definately ask ur teacher for help if u need help.

HSC
    mmm.

certain study echniques may work better for certain people.

some people learn best by writing it down (that'd be me)
    others can pick up on things just by reading them over and over
    some people can learn things by having them explained, or by listening (either to a teacher, or a tape of notes)

a little extra thing that you can do: put up posters or small sheets of info in places you're in alot, like on the toilet door, on the wall next to your bed, or on the outside of the shower if you have one with glass panels (i learnt most of my quotes for english, and my circle geometry rules this way ). it doesn't take much time and if you do it early in the year, the stuff ought to be burnt into your brain come HSC time.
    yes; yes; and furthermore, yes.
    b. design (viscomm) & b. arts (int'l studies), uts.

magic mirror
    Oh, and lemme compile a list of things you DON'T do when studying:

1) 22 hours a week of tuition (for all you maths ppl, it approximates to 2 hours a unit) And for all you maths ppl, assuming an average of $25 an hour, what would be your expenses per week?

2) Studying till 3a.m., and then falling asleep in lessons the next morning

3) Falling asleep reading Hamlet (which is not what I'd exactly call effective)

4) Asking a fellow maths student why you got a wrong answer (and then finding out you forgot to carry the minus sign)

5) Reading a textbook 3-5 times without having done any of the practice questions or past papers.

6) Studying the week after assessment week.

7) Studying on the desk right next to a functional computer with internet access.

8) Writing booklets and booklets of notes in english without attempting a single essay.

9) TYPING all your essays, notes, answers to past papers, etc. You don't get a computer for the final exam.

10) Having a habit of taking afternoon naps (especially when you know you'll have afternoon exams soon)

11) Doing maths questions without EVER checking the answers.

12) Thinking you've studied something just because you've understood the material. "Understanding" and "remembering" are two different things.

Having said all that you'd prolly be able to deduce that with 2 months of holidays to go I'm shit bored. Can't wait to get out of Sydney!
    *yawn*

All of that is so true.

I like what Spice girl said previously about effectiveness, as i've been telling that to my parents all year.

1 - have fun, find a regular tv show or hobby or something to break up ur time so that the expansive hours of study aren't too overwhelming (i chose gym, and m*a*s*h at 5pm during hsc exams). I also like to listen to music while i study.

2 - If tutors don't work for you, don't go to one. I was one of (at last count) 4 people in my whole year who did not go to a tutor for anything. I need to figure things out for myself in order to understand, if you're like that as well - recognise it! More than anything its a waste of valuable time.

3 - english: i learnt a lot of quotes. That way during exams/assesmments all i had to do was think of a relevant quote and the point associated with that specific example came to mind. Practice essays are good if u remain within the 40mins time limit. learning them off by heart can be restrictive, just try to keep in mind the key points that you find yourself using time and time again despite the change in the official topic.

4 - maths: trial papers, trial papers, trial papers. For hsc and trials i did slim to none actual revision for maths/going back to textbook. It really helped . Stuff i was really struggling with at the beginning of the year seemed basic methodology by the end.

5 - Chem: Just go though each dot point, making sure you can answer it.

6 - economics: read the newspapers and on each bit of breaking news go through the hypothetical consequences. We had a brilliant assessment where we had to collect 2-3 newspaper articles per week throughout the year and analyse them. It meant i barely had to study for trials, and it reduced the necessary study for hsc. Collecting articles on case study countries is also helpful, u get a feel for the country without having to cram in heaps of facts in a day or two.

Thats all i can think of at present. Modern history i wrote copious notes but i only got 89 so i dont think that should technically be included!
    b0b101 likes this.

Originally posted by timmii

2 - If tutors don't work for you, don't go to one. I was one of (at last count) 4 people in my whole year who did not go to a tutor for anything. I need to figure things out for myself in order to understand, if you're like that as well - recognise it! More than anything its a waste of valuable time.
    this is soooo tru! the entire past 2 yrs, my parents had been nagging me abt goin 2 a tutor (mayb cos im asian n its a trendy thing 2 do hehe) but i resisted n ended up doin relatively gud (97.50) n im happi i never went tutoring
    like timmii, i only learn when i figure stuff out by myself, so basically if u feel tutoring isnt ur thing, then dont go! plus, think of all the things u cuddve bought w/ the cash spent on tutors!!

HSC
    i studied on average about 5 hours each night.

i also typed up study notes for each subject and used a wide range of texts eg. excel.

be organised
    Class of '02
    UNIVERSITY OF SYDNEY - Arts/Commerce

HSC
    How long before the HSC exams did you start studying?

Originally posted by MiKeY
    i started in the 2nd wk of the holz b4 the hsc
    term 3 was 4 me a really festive term, i barely attended ne classes towards the end, the formal n graduation had put us all in a blaze mood. having sed that however, all my notes were already prepared (prior 2 the trials) so it wasnt as tho i had 2 write nething new, all i had 2 do was start memorising 4 the humanities exams. i had a few days 4 maths in the 2nd wk of exams, n 2 wks 4 chemistry, so i decided i wud study then.

studying kinda depends on ur strengths n weaknesses, as well as ur timetable n organisation.

HSC
    Originally posted by schwang_thang

this is soooo tru! the entire past 2 yrs, my parents had been nagging me abt goin 2 a tutor (mayb cos im asian n its a trendy thing 2 do hehe) but i resisted n ended up doin relatively gud (97.50) n im happi i never went tutoring
    like timmii, i only learn when i figure stuff out by myself, so basically if u feel tutoring isnt ur thing, then dont go! plus, think of all the things u cuddve bought w/ the cash spent on tutors!!

the dux of my school didnt have any tutors, and neither did several other top students.

pri
    HSC
    N/A
    tutors are only good for some ppl , like for maths they can be helpful
    faber est suae quisque fortunae
    each one is the maker of their own fortunes

class of 03

B Design (architecture) at Sydney Uni

HSC
    Uni Grad
    I'm pretty much a dumbarse, so I started a week after trials (7th week of the 10 week term for us)
    paid off though - got a UAI over 95
    for most ppl, Trials should identify your weaknessess, and u should act quick to make sure u cover what u dont kno/are weak on.
    By the time the holidays came, I was at the library up to 10 hours a day, cramming everything (preprepared essays for english and economics, syllabus notes for physics, and past papers for math).
    I'm not saying this method would work for everyone, but it did for me.

the mistake I made however is that I made all my concise notes etc way too late, when it shouldve been done before the trials
    B Commerce (UNSW), GradDipCA
    Senior Manager - Ernst & Young

del
    HSC
    N/A
    We had our trials at the end of Term 2, so I started studying around week 2-3 of Term 2. For the trials I only studied a couple of hours each day (2 - 3 max).. once the trials finished I took a week break then re-started studing but this time gradually building the study sessions up, so by the time the HSC started I was doing 6hr+ a day.

But once the exams started I did pretty much nothing. I guess for me, studying over a long period gradually building up, then laying off it once the time came, worked well...

basically whatever routine works best for you and stick to it.
    Class of '02

My software doesn't have bugs. It just develops random features.

Re: 'Slice of Heaven' and 'drolle'

hi i hate my phys teacher...
    how shud i study....i havent been performing very well.

magic mirror

Re: Re: 'Slice of Heaven' and 'drolle'

Originally posted by Shocker_85
    hi i hate my phys teacher...
    how shud i study....i havent been performing very well.
    Hmm, first thing, DON't let your hatred of your teacher be the cause of you failing physics. He/she's not worth it.

Secondly, since you can't rely on your teacher, you have two main options. Read thru the dot-points / textbooks (i used jackaranda). If you feel you don't understand anything and you've given it your best shot already, seriously consider getting a tutor (that's when you start asking around). If you understand some things, it's alright, u don't need to waste the money.

Thirdly, if physics is your worst subject, you'll need to shift a larger proportion of your study time doing physics, and more and more until you feel physics is catching up to your next worst subject. Then when that happens it'll be your two last subjects competing not to be last.

That's if you're determined.

If you're doin very badly at phys and you don't really need the extra 2 units because you're caning at everything else, just drop phys.
    *yawn*

HSC

Re: Re: Re: 'Slice of Heaven' and 'drolle'

Originally posted by spice girl

Hmm, first thing, DON't let your hatred of your teacher be the cause of you failing physics. He/she's not worth it.

Secondly, since you can't rely on your teacher, you have two main options. Read thru the dot-points / textbooks (i used jackaranda). If you feel you don't understand anything and you've given it your best shot already, seriously consider getting a tutor (that's when you start asking around). If you understand some things, it's alright, u don't need to waste the money.

Thirdly, if physics is your worst subject, you'll need to shift a larger proportion of your study time doing physics, and more and more until you feel physics is catching up to your next worst subject. Then when that happens it'll be your two last subjects competing not to be last.

That's if you're determined.

If you're doin very badly at phys and you don't really need the extra 2 units because you're caning at everything else, just drop phys.
    Yeah I ended up dropping it... my teacher sucked. My parents wouldn't let me get a Physics tutor this early in the year. And I lost interest very quickly... I also thought 13u would be too much to cope with but having seen good performances from people who did 13u I sometimes regret having dropped it. Oh well. Will just have to work hard with everything else.
    'Only the wisest and the stupidest of men never change.'
    -Confucius

EDIT
    HSC
    N/A
    study from day one is preferable ... dont do what i did and start studying two weeks before the first exam ... but im half use to the half-learn/half-cram at the same time ...

Cadet
    Sure study is necessary

But it all comes down to your ability, and how good you are. Maths is the prime example as some people (mostly Asians, sri lankans and indians) have a better maths brain than others.

HSC
    Originally posted by Halba
    Sure study is necessary

But it all comes down to your ability, and how good you are. Maths is the prime example as some people (mostly Asians, sri lankans and indians) have a better maths brain than others.
    I disagree. It appears that way yes but maths is really just a matter of practice. My maths skills were really poor until I started actually working hard for it.
    'Only the wisest and the stupidest of men never change.'
    -Confucius

pri
    HSC
    N/A
    Originally posted by InfiniteQ

I disagree. It appears that way yes but maths is really just a matter of practice. My maths skills were really poor until I started actually working hard for it.

ditto

class of 03

90s

i know this sounds pretencious but i really didnt do *tonnes* of studying, though i did work hard.
    the best method for me was to highlight the notes the teachers give you, then copy them out then summarise them again.
    oh and do some independent research, that way your essays wont sound the same as the rest of your classes
    dont stress *too* much, i know ppl who locked themselves away when the HSC was going on, but i still went on relatively normally and it didnt matter.
    oh and good luck!

Cadet
    HSC
    i got in da top band 4 ancient and history extension and da best way to study dem is to write essays 4 each syllabus point. it takes time but it is worth it.

then, memorise ur intro and conclusion-making sure u can adapt it to da actual exam question-and memorise quotes and da main point for each essay, which evidentlym becomes ur essay plan.

hope dat helps and good luck 4 next year!

pri
    HSC
    N/A
    aaah from what what I can conclude after reading all ur posts are to study smart not neccesarily to study hard

class of 03

HSC
    well I didn't get in the top band for legal but I did get 94 in the exam: learn each bullet point from the syllabus inside and out.
    Economics (93 in the exam) and 90 overall: same thing, helps to learn what the graphs mean and how they work. Learn current stats and past stats. E.g. Budget outcomes for last 10 years, CAD for last 10 years, relationship between growth and just about everything.........arghhhh i'm blahhing.

maths: practice.....I'm angry about the way 4u was scaled this year....it scaled moderately better than legal and eco which any idiot can learn.

Page 2 of 26 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread Information