Page 3 of 26 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: People who got >90 in subjects: how did you study?

EDIT
    HSC
    N/A
    Originally posted by Isaac Reyes
    maths: practice.....I'm angry about the way 4u was scaled this year....it scaled moderately better than legal and eco which any idiot can learn.
    ext2 maths was scaled very well ... its just that this year the ext2 maths students were scaled based on the ext1 candidates for the ext1 'two units' ...

maths was significantly stronger than eco, which was scaled significantly better than legal ...

and im referring to uac scaled marks ... not the silly board hsc marks because they are a joke ...

pri
    HSC
    N/A
    ultimately though if ur crap at 4 unit maths or any maths for that matter scalin aint gonna help
    faber est suae quisque fortunae
    each one is the maker of their own fortunes

class of 03

B Design (architecture) at Sydney Uni

using a range of textbooks is pretty helpful, it helps u determine wat kinda style u like, n u can filter out wat u want n wat u dont want

4 eg. in chem i hated 'pathways', found it was 2 verbose n beat around the bush alot. 'excel' (not really a textbook) gave u the basics on calculations, n 'conquering chem' i liked bcos it was pretty succinct.

Cadet
    Originally posted by pri
    aaah from what what I can conclude after reading all ur posts are to study smart not neccesarily to study hard
    True, and also you've got to cover everything they can ask in an exam. You'll be very prepared for the HSC this way ... so I guess it's working smart but consistently

EDIT
    HSC
    N/A
    studying smart will only get you that far ... for the extra mile you need to study hard not only smart ... from experience studying smart works fine for assessments (and even the trial when everyone is not fully prepared) ... however for the hsc - study hard ... there is no other way ...

HSC

ext 2 scaling

yeah your right Flyin', it wasn't scaled that bad.......and I guess I can't complain since I made band E4 in 3 and 4unit comfortably.

Originally posted by flyin'
    studying smart will only get you that far ... for the extra mile you need to study hard not only smart ... from experience studying smart works fine for assessments (and even the trial when everyone is not fully prepared) ... however for the hsc - study hard ... there is no other way ...
    I definitely disagree with this, my motto in life is that it's possible for everything to be easy, and so far I've found nothing to dispute it.

You can only say what works for you or people you've talked to, and you can't even ever really know exactly what it was that gave you those extra marks. But I do know that what you've said is not true for me -- you DON'T have to work your ass off, so there are probably other people who it's not true for either.

It's statements like yours that caused me to doubt my own way of learning and studying, which made it harder for me, when in reality the only thing I was doing wrong was not trusting myself enough!
    - David Rolle, drolle@mac.com

HSC
    Originally posted by drolle

I definitely disagree with this, my motto in life is that it's possible for everything to be easy, and so far I've found nothing to dispute it.

You can only say what works for you or people you've talked to, and you can't even ever really know exactly what it was that gave you those extra marks. But I do know that what you've said is not true for me -- you DON'T have to work your ass off, so there are probably other people who it's not true for either.

It's statements like yours that caused me to doubt my own way of learning and studying, which made it harder for me, when in reality the only thing I was doing wrong was not trusting myself enough!
    I believe hard work is the only key to get something over 98. It is not "easy" for the top 1% of the state to be where they are. They worked hard.
    'Only the wisest and the stupidest of men never change.'
    -Confucius

magic mirror
    Originally posted by InfiniteQ
    I believe hard work is the only key to get something over 98. It is not "easy" for the top 1% of the state to be where they are. They worked hard.
    I SO disagree with this. Well, depends what you mean by "hard" work, but we can't generalise that everyone who got 99 has worked "hard" by their standards. Most people need to work hard, but some people seriously don't.
    *yawn*

HSC
    Originally posted by spice girl

I SO disagree with this. Well, depends what you mean by "hard" work, but we can't generalise that everyone who got 99 has worked "hard" by their standards. Most people need to work hard, but some people seriously don't.
    Well what I mean is that they obviously don't bullshit their way to the top. You did really well ... would you say you found it "easy" to get your UAI?
    -Confucius

magic mirror
    hell no,

i mean i know a lot of ppl that didn't need to work as hard...

work varies with people, and i know a chronic bludger who i reckon was smart enough to get 99+ if he bothered but he didn't, but other than that extreme I also know a lot of people who i reckon didn't need to work as hard to get above 99+
    Last edited by spice girl; 31 Dec 2002 at 11:30 AM.
    *yawn*

HSC
    hell no,

i mean i know a lot of ppl that didn't...
    Well that's really what I mean... I'm not thinking about individual standards of "hard work" but there is a point where *something* is considered hard work isn't there?
    drolle says that it is possible for anything to be relatively easy. I disagree... work has to be put in to get out.
    -Confucius

magic mirror
    i knew this guy, who's a good friend of mine, who seriously believed that work was the only thing that he needed to do to get good marks. So he did (like to the extreme of 6+ hours), but there were subjects that he still screwed up, because he wasn't studying properly (he didn't do a single past paper).

I guess work is needed to get yourself to perform at your full potential, but there are other things you can do to increase that potential.
    *yawn*

HSC
    i knew this guy, who's a good friend of mine, who seriously believed that work was the only thing that he needed to do to get good marks. So he did (like to the extreme of 6+ hours), but there were subjects that he still screwed up, because he wasn't studying properly (he didn't do a single past paper).

I guess work is needed to get yourself to perform at your full potential, but there are other things you can do to increase that potential.
    Hmmm like what things? I want to know so I can be *smart* about doing the HSC. At the moment I feel really guilty because I was supposed to do 2 hrs of maths a day to study for my 4u assessment and I've probably only done 1 in the past week.

Cheh the bit I quoted was the only bit I saw of your post until just then... wonder whats up with the boards. Twice it's done this to me.
    -Confucius

Originally posted by InfiniteQ

drolle says that it is possible for anything to be relatively easy. I disagree... work has to be put in to get out.
    I guess the problem here is that we have different ideas of what we mean by "work" and "easy". For me, I used to do maths problems all the time, and still do, because I find them fun and stimulating, and that was basically my only study for maths. For some people, doing the stuff I did would have been "work", for me it was what I wanted to do anyway, and it was "easy".

So I'm not saying you can do nothing all year and expect to get high marks by any means, I'm just saying there's no reason you have to "push" or "force" yourself -- just find what you enjoy doing and nurture that enjoyment until it motivates you sufficiently! This only failed for me

Also, someone said you can't get in the top 1% without doing work. I worked for my HSC, and didn't get into the top 1%; but conversely I've achieved in the top 1% in compititions quite a few times (including 1st in NSW in the Aust. Science Comp this year), without doing any preparation work. You can't make blanket statements about these kinds of things.

I know what your saying about feeling guilty about not studying -- that was a constant thing for me because everyone is constantly saying STUDY STUDY STUDY and I didn't think I was doing enough. Well having a balanced lifestyle is more important than the amount of study you do, esp. for 4u, because it keeps your brain fresh and you can think of things on the spot. In 4u, you either have to have done A LOT of practice so you're familiar with all the questions they could ask, or be able to adapt really well to new stuff (I prefer the latter, because it serves you well later in life as well).

So instead of studying by practicing the same type of questions over and over, I find new problems, often not really related to the syllabus, that will stretch my mind. I really only did this because it was more interesting to me, but in hindsight I see that it was extremly helpful (this ability to adapt I found especially useful for the UNSW maths comp, which I forgot to enter this year, grrrrr I'm so absent minded sometimes!)

magic mirror
    What things? Depends which subject you mean.

For the sciences, understanding and remembering may not be enough. You'll prolly want to write model answers to common questions, which involves going thru past trial papers and doing them.

For 4umaths, once you've solved a hard problem, go look for another way to solve it. have fun!

Especially for 4umaths, don't waste your time doing easy problems (unless you can't do them at all). Look for hard problems all the time. The only skill really is to recognise which problems are hard and which ones are not, which comes from experience.

Seriously, the more ways you can find to do a problem, the more prepared you are.

Cheers,
    *yawn*

EDIT
    HSC
    N/A

if you can get 99+ for your uai without putting in alot of effort and just taking it easy ... then you have nothing to worry about ... if you'll settle for 90+ as good then taking it easy is fine ...

btw ... my post above (just like many other people's posts) are their own personal opinion ... this is not holy rite ... of course some people will disagree ... which is why people can reply in a forum such as this ...

i would really like to see someone get 99+ for there uai who just took it easy ... people right at the top put effort and ran the hard yards ...

EDIT
    HSC
    N/A
    by working hard, i mean you consistently work throughout the year (even if its just for two (maybe three) hours a night) ... i do not mean working for 4 hours or more per night ...

if you can get 99+ without hard work, then you are a bloody genius ... but what im refering to in general is to average person who will have to work if he/she wants good marks ...

Originally posted by flyin'

btw ... my post above (just like many other people's posts) are their own personal opinion ... this is not holy rite ... of course some people will disagree ... which is why people can reply in a forum such as this ...
    Yes you're right, I didn't mean to sound as harsh as I did. The people who read the posts are responsible for what they make of it, it's up to everyone to use their own judgement.

EDIT
    HSC
    N/A

Yes you're right, I didn't mean to sound as harsh as I did. The people who read the posts are responsible for what they make of it, it's up to everyone to use their own judgement.
    yeah ... then everyone's happy ...

HSC

I suppose it came out wrong because of the use of the word "easy".
    -Confucius

HSC

Also, someone said you can't get in the top 1% without doing work. I worked for my HSC, and didn't get into the top 1%; but conversely I've achieved in the top 1% in compititions quite a few times (including 1st in NSW in the Aust. Science Comp this year), without doing any preparation work. You can't make blanket statements about these kinds of things.
    This year's science comp was crazy, you only needed 42/45 to top the state. We had two, and my friend was absolutely stoked to see himself topping the state. :P Me, not so.

The tips have probably all been said here already, so just follow them...
    Currently in Ph.D. Biophysics.
    ===
    "Profound and prophetic? Nay, confounded and pathetic!"
    '02 boy

http://zharmad.livejournal.com/
    ===
    So what if I have two left hands?! (see userpic)

Originally posted by BlackJack

This year's science comp was crazy, you only needed 42/45 to top the state. We had two, and my friend was absolutely stoked to see himself topping the state. :P Me, not so.
    yeah I got a 42 as well (2 qns wrong from being an idiot, 1 from running out of time), but I've been trying unsuccessfully for the last few months to find out how many people I tied with! Does anybody know?

sorry for clogging up the thread with more topics, but I'm really curious!

yay! custom!!!
    HSC
    I got merit Listed for IPT which is just a joke, because that is the subject I did the least work in. Meanwhile, Physics, Chem, Maths and English were the subjects I worked hardest in and I didnt do as well. So what does that tell you?
    a smile is a curve that can set many things straight
    Vet science @ Usyd

EDIT
    HSC
    N/A
    Originally posted by Mambomeg
    I got merit Listed for IPT which is just a joke, because that is the subject I did the least work in. Meanwhile, Physics, Chem, Maths and English were the subjects I worked hardest in and I didnt do as well. So what does that tell you?
    that the board of studies/*experienced teachers*/markers who decided the band cut off are a joke ...

Page 3 of 26 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread Information