Page 1 of 26 12311 ... LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: People who got >90 in subjects: how did you study?

People who got >90 in subjects: how did you study?

just out of curiosity all the people who got over 90 in subjects, what study methods/tips can u give the new yr 12's?
    cognito ergo sum

Cadet
    HSC
    N/A
    I didn't get above 90 but my marks were almost identical (All in between 80-86), so I can reccommend a method of studying which will let you study evenly.

I made my notes, typed them up, then recorded them onto tape using a dictaphone, then listened to them over and over and over - anywhere I went, my walkman went with me. Listened to it while walking, listened to it as I was falling asleep at night.

Also, use a rewards system, you don't want to torture yourself. Personally I love listening to music, so start by using that as a reward if you're listening to your notes. Once you've listened to your notes for 2 hours, allow yourself a CD.

My notes are on my homepage, go there if you need to torture yourself with what you're going to get over the next few months. (That to the new students, hi to everyone in "year 12" at Brigidine St Ives and Roseville College - especially Emma and Dom and Meera)
    We could learn a lot from crayons. They're all different sizes, colours and shapes yet they all manage to live peacefully in the same box.
    - Anonymous

Yes, when they gave out good looks I was still working on sex drive... and I thought they were giving out tea, so I asked for a strong one. - Anonymous

pri
    HSC
    N/A

Smile

did that actually work well for you do u reckon like listen to the notes again and again coz I heard about that technique but its effectiveness I havent seen until now... Hmm do u increase productiveness if u listen while u sleeep zzzzzzz
    faber est suae quisque fortunae
    each one is the maker of their own fortunes

class of 03

B Design (architecture) at Sydney Uni

Cadet
    HSC
    N/A
    Because of the repitition (reading the material, making notes, typing them up, listening) it really hammers stuff down. It's good, means you can get on with other things like chores and not feel hassled because you have to choose between one thing or another. IE, frees up memory space you would otherwise use for procrastination by doing chores instead of studying.

Also means that you don't have to waste travel time (my parents are divorced so travelling between two houses cut about an hour out of my prime study time) cos you can listen to your notes while you're on the move.
    We could learn a lot from crayons. They're all different sizes, colours and shapes yet they all manage to live peacefully in the same box.
    - Anonymous

Yes, when they gave out good looks I was still working on sex drive... and I thought they were giving out tea, so I asked for a strong one. - Anonymous

HSC
    for me
    economics is like common sense
    once you learn how the system works, it's like a machine and at yr2 lvl, u can predict wats gonna happen.
    Learning the textbook is the eays bit. To get higher marks in essays u have to be analytical and state the impacts of something, rather than just writing out its definition. (unless of course its a 1 mark ques. Then u fully copy and paste from textbook, coz teachers are stingy)
    -= im a guy!!!!!!!!!!! =-

hmmm bascially, do ur h/w

abt a wk or 2 b4 exams write ur notes based entirely on the syllabus n make sure u know all the crap abt assessing the importance of...(yada yada yada) n all the analysing stuff. bout it.

Cadet

get current data too

for eco placing it in the current context guarantees you the top band

HSC
    got 93 in maths. just keep up and maths is just practise practise practise. just do your work, and its fairly sinple to gain the band 6
    neha?...

class of '02

Bachelor Ed (Primary) University of Canberra, 2009

Thumbs up

this may be stating the obvious but alot of people dont actually do this, concentrate on what your writting/typing as you make your notes it will significantly increase the chance of recalling and understanding. good luck to the current year 12 students !!! :apig:

ok, here is what i did in the last coupla months of year 12 and i SOOOOO should have done it all along.

Use your syllabus. If you ahvent already got it, then get one now and read it over before you start stuff. find out what correlates in the textbooks, and then, after a class, work out what it correlates to with the syllabus and summarise under that particular dotpoint. Do all these summaries separate to your class work. i had to do them in a book cos our computer resides in the lounge room, so that wasnt gonna work.you will find you teacher will jump around the syllabus a bit, as will your textbook, but it doesnt matter. it just means that you ahve to be on the ball and tell you teacher when they ahve missed something. As both my chem and physics techers did, which i only realised in the last few weeks. See the value of using you syllabus all along?

Also, read ahead in you textbooks. Doesnt take long, it would take you ten minutes max to pre-read what you will cover in the next 2 or 3 lessons. it just give you an extra repetition, and you will be far less likely to get confused in class. Like i did with my friggin chem teacher, who would just start yabbering on about something we have never heard of.

If you can, dont study in your bedroom. its just not good. separate life and study. life will still be there after the hsc so dont screw it up!

Ask for extra help if you need it.

Grill you techers for as many recources as they have.

Do past papers and make you teachers mark them.

Do more past papers. Although there atill arent heaps for anything other than maths. Still, there are usually practice papers in summary books like excel, too.

Study with a disiplined friend. My best friend was a machine, and she got me going right. This is particularly good during stuvac.

And if you are the disciplined one, dont study with a REALLY unsettled friend. I had one study sesh where the guy i was with just dragged me to the beach and built a fort and squished my friend and i with jellyfish. Do have these sort of days, cos you need a life, too, but not when ur supposed to be studying!

swap resources with other people in you class and from other schools. i couldnt with other schools cos my school is pretty isolated, but get as many points of veiw as you can, expecially with humanities subjects.

Read you english texts at least twice. Shithouse, i know, especially with books like my place and jane eyre, butyou really should. Start in these hols.

OK, ive written an epic, but hey, im a lady of leisure now!

Hope something here helps. also, i actually know a couple of older people who topped subjects by doing the dictaphone thing, which i reckon i sould have done.

GOOD LUCK!

del
    HSC
    N/A
    Yep agree with hgpstar on the syllabus thing.

Write summaries for each and every dot point in the syllabus, and if you don't feel confident in a particular point/area, make sure you write more so that you understand it better.

Makre sure you know what relates to where... eg if doing IPT in say communication make sure you know what issues are relevant to that particular topic.

Study regularly, by this I don't mean 24/7, but a couple of hours each day, though in the weeks coming up to the HSC do more, then when the exams start, lay of them a bit... All the study you did before will have worked well.

Practise answering past questions, do extra work not required of you. Learn the verbs.

Be an annoying student and ask hassle your teachers to check your work and give you extra work, tips, feedback anything which is of use.

Oh for maths, write maths posters and stick them all over your walls. I swear it works....

I started doing all the above round Term 2 this yr, but only properly got into it round Term 3. If you keep at it it pays off.
    Class of '02

My software doesn't have bugs. It just develops random features.

HSC
    great advices guys. I'll be sure to jot them down.
    SIBT - Mass Communication at Macquarie University

"Let us not be ashamed to say whatever we are not ashamed to think." Michel de Montaigne.

*better not answer this question... might give some people bad ideas :P

-zem
    Good luck everyone!
    Unless, of course you don't need luck, like me

HSC
    i got 93 in adv maths: if you do 3 unit (like i did), but are struggling (like i did: most tests i got 55-70%, which i wasn't that happy with), stick with it, it makes 2 unit maths seem much easier and you also learn some stuff that you can apply in 2 unit.

revise, i know i should have done that more. i did a fair bit for 2 unit, and by the end of year 12 most 2 unit stuff seemed like general knowledge.

i also got 97 in art, which was my best mark -- probably because it was my favourite subject.

do lots of practice essays: if you can get your hands on past hsc papers, trials, half-yearlies, year 11 exams, anything, ALL the section 2 essays are good practice (try to do 1, 2, or 3 from every paper). also answer section 1 questions, and do them in time limits for practice.

see if you can do a free-choice case study. bug your teacher. then study artists who genuinely interest you, and whose work you enjoy.

manage your time well in exams, esp in section 1. stick to the suggested times, they're there for a reason. you could perhaps go a minute or 2 over 1 or 2 sections, but that eats into your section 2 essay time.

go to exhibitions, especially major ones with famous australian and international artists. works from these may crop up in exams (particularly australian works, or works displayed in australia, as it's easier for the BoS to get copyright clearance for them than int'l works).

borrow or buy art books, and read them.

read interviews with or articles about the artists you study. memorise quotes by or about them, that's useful in exams. other more general quotes about art etc. are also useful.

err... that's all i can think of right now. good luck all you year 11 types and don't stress that much.

"pfft. easy for you to say, you just finished your hsc"

yeah i know, but you'll be the same too when you finish yours.
    yes; yes; and furthermore, yes.
    b. design (viscomm) & b. arts (int'l studies), uts.

i got 93 for music.. hmmm... if you do music, well just listen to alot of it, and know your concepts.
    <a href="http://www.yoursighost.com/members/dansnation/sig1.jpg">

I became a hermit for eight months, studied from 3.30pm to 9.00pm everyday, during my free periods, all throughout the holidays and right up until my last exam. Saying that, it was definately worth it!

Originally posted by Badaboom
    I became a hermit for eight months, studied from 3.30pm to 9.00pm everyday, during my free periods, all throughout the holidays and right up until my last exam. Saying that, it was definately worth it!

wow...
    wat UAI did u get?

magic mirror
    I guess there's different study methods for different subjects:

english: write write write
    sciences: cram cram cram
    maths: think think think
    *yawn*

heres a few i learnt thorughout the year:

1. play music or have the tv on while you work, although you are doing homework it doesnt seem like a chore as it is just like relaxingand doing somthing normal.....this way even if you are listening to the music and reading at the same time, you wont notice but everything your eye passes over is stored in your memory.

2. study heaps the night before an exam as this is when you are most alert and ready to concentrate. Altho teachers advise against this they are only saying it so that you work during the rest of the year but dont worry coz they are wrong..ive done it and it works so much better than stopping your study a few days before!

3. After a nite of full on study, reward your self by going on a shopping spree or better yet, set up a ponts scheme with your parents and say every hour you study you get a certain amount of money eg. $5. This way you'll study heaps and end up being rich.

4. Finally this is my most prized tip and shouldnt even say it but the test is merely just a test on the syallabus so by reading the syallabus a few times you should understand the whole course or at least what they want you to know....i worked this one out 2 weeks before the final exam and reckon i learned more in those two weeks than all year!!!! subtle yet most effective!!!

well there you go....hope ive contributed to your marks with these study tips i followed all year!

never studied, just crammed in 3 weeks..
    muhahaha....
    trust me , it was true,,tahts why my school assessment marks are so much lower than my actual hsc marks,,where my friends ahd similar marks for both..

Cadet
    definitely take into account all of the points these people have given you, as most of them did extremely well but I also do recommend that you make study a major priority but not your life but also remeber that going out and partying is not a wise option as many of my friends now regret that they hadn,t done enough and work and unfortuneately cannot get into the courses they wanted to do.

i'll tell you though that I'm no selective school smart guy or anything but I studied quite a bit but got so nervous cos I was basically a hermit too for a few months, about 5 weeks prior to the Hsc i HAD LIKE A BREAKDOWN , alot of negative thoughts creeped into my mind, I wasn't failing or anything I was doinf pretty ok , i topped most subjects at my school except 2nd in adv eng, maybe i hthought i was going to do really bad cos i went to a really poor school in terms of uai and the careers advisor said if i tried really hard i could get into the late 80's at most and if lucky enough in the low 90's but i do understand it was a compliment as our dux every yr gets about that. I told my entire family that I was going to quit school there and then and not even attempt my hsc but my family gave me a lot of support and finally i did it and finished and probably lucky to get out alive, i mean that for real those few weeks prior and during the hsc was the time of my lif

My uai may not seem too impressive to many( 99.05) but it is quite a good save from what could have turned out if I hadn't done the hsc. The thing that savedme was my excessive studying, I thought before I was going into each exam I was gonna fail, but I enede up with a 95 for physics , all the notes andpractice answers came flooding back because I had done a lot of work but lacked belief in myself, so my point is that you should definitely believe in yopurself and try your absolute best cos noone else will believe in you.congrats to spice girl, killah and all the others who killed the hsc, how did you guys handle the pressure?I just barely got through.
    Last edited by Slice of heaven; 22 Dec 2002 at 7:04 PM.

Same here...
    at my school, the career advisor was once telling us dat an average selective school student wud top our school..
    i've just started yr 12 and believe me dats exactly how I feel, dat i cant do it..
    im very impressed with u...this shows dat if i work hard, nothing can stop me...
    by da way which school did u go 2?

Cadet
    i went to james busby and let me give you some advice go for the big time and don't let anyone influence you in a negative way and btw what school r u at?

I go 2 Wiley Park girls' High
    ppl dont like this school n its students...but yeah, im not one of those who dont value education, i certainly do, n i wanna get a high UAI

I made a post in the UAI thread that probably should have gone in this one:
    http://hsc.ozlpn.com/community/showt...3742#post53742

I think the *huge* amounts of study option, that most people seem to be advocating, is fairly effective, but it is possible to go really well with barely any study at all!

I think that if you are relying on studying later on, it severly handicaps your ability to learn things because you think "it's ok if I don't quite get this now, I can just read it over later". I have found that even if you do read it over later (which I usually didn't) it's not as good as learning it properly the first time, not to mention more time consuming! I didn't follow this strategy properly, but it's obvious to me that in the areas I followed it, I aced everything, and I'm fairly certain if I followed it for everything I would have got a uai of 100 without more than 1 hour / day study. Maybe even no study at all (I'm not joking here, it's true!)

Also somebody said to study as much as possible the night before an exam, well it may work for you but I've found the most important thing before an exam, and even more so maths competitions, is keeping your mind fresh and making sure you get enough sleep!

My main point is you have to find what works for you, don't just go by what other people say! It was so hard for me to use the strategy above when everyone around me was saying STUDY STUDY STUDY! Well now I'm dux of my school, so there :P
    - David Rolle, drolle@mac.com

Page 1 of 26 12311 ... LastLast

Thread Information