Kinda regretting moving to Baulko now.... (1 Viewer)

doggossigh

HSC
I'm moving to Baulko next year for Year 11 and I'll be doing HSC in 2019. I'm kinda regretting moving now, even though Baulko seems like a great school I feel like my ranks will drop very significantly. At my rank 20ish current school I'm ranked top 15 for all my subjects (except maths lmao) so I'm not having any problems in my school. But I feel like I'm going to drop a lot (like under average or maybe around average if I'm lucky) when moving to Baulko, and I've heard a lot about other transfers from my school dropping a lot under average once they started in Baulko. I feel like I should have just stayed and kept top ranks instead of dropping to average at Baulko...

Any experience from other transfers? Or am I just screwed and regretful now :/ Also any tips for studying/organization/ mental health for year 11?

Thanks guys :(

captainneuro

HSC
You're ranked pretty well in your current school but anything can happen in the next 2 years. You shouldn't be worried at all.. In a better school, although you may be ranked lower, the standard of students would be significantly higher. If anything, it may be better to be in the higher ranked school because of the way internal marks are moderated. Higher standard of students in higher ranked school - average of school's internal marks (including yours) pushed up significantly. Assuming you're not first - if you, on the day bomb externals (hsc exams), you'll be better off than someone in a lower ranked school because of the strength of the cohort in baulko. Just work hard and there will be no reason why you won't be able to be ranked fairly decent, and you'll have the backup from your cohort.

livelaughlove

HSC
Hi, I was in a very similar situation to you. I transferred to Baulko in Year 11. Honestly, if you can maintain average or slightly above average ranks, you're probably going to end up with a 98+ atar. But if your ranks are below average, that's when the problem begins. For example, my ranks were below average in only one subject, Physics. Because of that, I only achieved a band 4 in physics which REALLY brought down my atar (96.30). If I had gotten a higher rank in physics I would have definitely pulled up my atar heaps. Basically, moving to Baulko is really really beneficial if you can maintain average or above average ranks. But also this is just my personal experience and my opinion. Hope this kind of helped.

andrew12678

HSC
Although I'm not a transfer, I don't think there's anything to worry about since you're HSC 2019. Just try your best in prelim next year and you might do better than you expect. If I recall correctly, I didn't even get an A for anything in Year 10 so I must have been below average too so absolutely nothing to worry about.

spaghettii

HSC
Uni Grad
A change in rank simply means the standards at Baulko are higher, which will probably prove beneficial to you as others have explained. Don't be disheartened by your rank - as long as you are doing the best you are capable of, there's nothing to be worried or saddened about. Congratulations btw on making it to Baulko :)

As for studying/organisation/mental health:
- study as you go, don't leave studying to the last week or two before the exam
- get stuff done early, don't leave things to the last minute, even if its a big or small assignment start working on bits and pieces earlier so you have less to worry about near the due date
- take frequent breaks and don't give up hobbies or sports, as both are good for keeping you happy. Take part in extracurriculars if time allows and exercise frequently. If you are feeling anxious/depressed/unable to cope see your GP and they may refer you to a psychologist, or contact headspace

doggossigh

HSC
Ah thank you so much! That is really reassuring since I've kinda been stressing about it a lot recently :/ I'll try to stay above average but no guarantees for math lmao. Thanks tho!

andrew12678

HSC
Ah thank you so much! That is really reassuring since I've kinda been stressing about it a lot recently :/ I'll try to stay above average but no guarantees for math lmao. Thanks tho!
For 3U maths if you are average (i.e rank ~90) you could be expecting an internal of 97 or 98 so definitely nothing to stress over-one of the benefits of coming to a school like ours is that literally everyone is strong at Mathematics and you will never get dragged down by internals (only dragged up). In essence, you just have to hold up your own external mark in the HSC and you'll be fine.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)