Thread: Year 11 Selective Schools exam/enrolment

HSC
    N/A

Year 11 Selective Schools exam/enrolment

Hello everyone,

I am wanting to try out for a selective school for my senior years and am aiming to get into James ruse or baulko. Anyways, I need some advice regarding the exam for James Ruse, report and the requirements needed for the enrolment. I also need advice. Also i currently attend a private school.

For anyone that did the James Ruse exam or is a current James Ruse student I need advice/clarification on the following:
    - Are the naplan results important?
    - How many sections are there in the exam and was it difficult?
    - Do they accept many new students into Years 11?
    - Do I need a specific grade in math, english and science?

Is it hard to get into a selective school in Year 11?

Everyone is welcome to comment!

Thank you very much.
    Last edited by emotionalbaka; 14 Feb 2018 at 9:35 AM.

HSC

Re: Year 11 Selective Schools exam/enrolment

Yo

I graduated from ruse last year. I transferred there from Normanhurst Boys High in year 11.
    I was ranked highly in each of my subjects (top 5 for both english and maths, as well as top 10 for acc. chemistry), and since NBHS is already a selective school, ruse might have looked favourably at my academics. But it seems like you are confident in your own academic ability so I trust you should have a decent chance. As long as you have shown to be a hardworking and dedicated student who is able to balance work and extra curricular involvements, as well as receive good comments form teachers, you have nothing to worry about.

To answer your questions:
    - I wouldnt worry too much about naplan. Im certain that ruse looks more at your school reports from year 9 and 10, as well as any awards you have received.
    - there are 6 separate exams if i remember correctly. one was creative writing, another was a short essay, not 100% sure on the focus on the other 4 exams so i wont say anything. No, none of them were difficult - they were very doable.
    - they accpet around 20 in yr 11. the number varies according to how good the new students are.
    - I wouldnt say there is a specific threshold u need to pass for subjects. But you would definitely need good grades across your subjects to have a strong chance. All the more so if you are not from a selective school.

Shoot me any further questions.
    HSC 2017 4u maths adv eng chem phys bio
    Hmu if u wanna trade umat files!! c:

HSC
    N/A

@Mach_1

What was the lowest ATAR in James ruse than you know of, and what if you go to a bad school like Blacktown boys, does that mean my chances of getting into Ruse is slim?

HSC

Quote Originally Posted by Audous View Post
    @Mach_1

What was the lowest ATAR in James ruse than you know of, and what if you go to a bad school like Blacktown boys, does that mean my chances of getting into Ruse is slim?
    Median atar at ruse is usually around the low 99s (99.1 or 99.2). Not sure about the lowest atar but some friends have scored atars or 96 - 97, which i would consider to be on the lower end of the cohort.
    As long as you have outstanding grades to prove that you are capable of handling the workload and expectations of ruse, im sure u will have a decent shot. dont hesistate
    HSC 2017 4u maths adv eng chem phys bio
    Hmu if u wanna trade umat files!! c:

Thread Information