Need subject selection help !!!!! (1 Viewer)

Dabeast

HSC
Hey everyone,

So basically I am currently in the middle of deciding weather or not I should drop business studies simply due to my class having like 50%-70% of 'dropkick' kids doing the course. I feel as if they may most likely drag me down when it comes for hsc, but... according to my teacher, what they get doesn't really matter as long as I achieve a ranking in the top 5 at my school for it. I am deciding whether or not I should replace business studies with economics, IPT, or another subject. Understanding this, please take into consideration my subjects which all include: Maths extension 1, advanced maths, English advanced, physics, chemistry, studies of religion, and business studies. The only thing preventing me from taking economics is the fact I already have a lot of subjects that require a lot of attention and study and so I may make it more difficult by doing so. Can someone please help me make a decision?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!

P.S sorry for the huge paragraph of writing xD

BLIT2014

The pessimistic optimist.
HSC
Uni Grad
How does your school usually perform in economics/business studies?

Check out topscores.net and school HSC reports for previous years

Consider teacher quality (is the teacher an HSC marker?)

Frostguard

HSC
If you truly think you will not perform well in Business Studies because of your classmates as well as hate the subject, then drop it and change to another subject. It seems that you would pick up Economics which is a good choice and honestly, both Business Studies and Economics both require a lot of memorisation and rote learning (Business is legit straight up memorisation, Eco, on the other hand is kinda weird because it's a subject where you either get it or you don't, the concepts are difficult to wrap your head around, but once you understand it, you'll do very pretty well, especially since it's a good scaling subject)

As BLIT said, check those 2 indicators and if you still can't decide, then resort to scaling (however scaling doesn't mean jack if you do bad)
Also I'm sure Eco or any other humanity subject would be a 'refresher' from your heavy Science/Maths related subjects, be careful which is one you do choose though.

phat_tar

HSC
Uni Grad
Hey everyone,

So basically I am currently in the middle of deciding weather or not I should drop business studies simply due to my class having like 50%-70% of 'dropkick' kids doing the course. I feel as if they may most likely drag me down when it comes for hsc, but... according to my teacher, what they get doesn't really matter as long as I achieve a ranking in the top 5 at my school for it. I am deciding whether or not I should replace business studies with economics, IPT, or another subject. Understanding this, please take into consideration my subjects which all include: Maths extension 1, advanced maths, English advanced, physics, chemistry, studies of religion, and business studies. The only thing preventing me from taking economics is the fact I already have a lot of subjects that require a lot of attention and study and so I may make it more difficult by doing so. Can someone please help me make a decision?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!

P.S sorry for the huge paragraph of writing xD
I went to a non-selective school and my business class was mostly dropkicks as well but I was passionate about the subject and achieved good marks. My economics class had much higher standard of student but to be honest if you're in the top end it doesn't matter. If you're passionate about business, keep it, if you're not change.

noname2

HSC
Hi you all !! have some questions and need help from all you all !
So at the moment, I'm doing ESL for my 2018 hsc and I have a friend who is also doing ESL but he had been in Australia for more than 5 years so he is our out-standing student in ESL. He supported to study Extension 1 English but had chosen to do ESL instead. So at the moment, he's doing a prescribed*text from Advance English whereas we're doing a different prescribed*text. so my questions are.

1. If he does that in his HSC exam, Will his exam be considered as an outlier and will be marked differently or has more potential comparing to our exams as my classmates are all doing the same prescribed*text?
2. I heard that in the HSC exam, the HSC markers will be different for each different Essay ( like if you do your essay on a prescribed*text then a particular HSC markers will mark that parts of your essay?) and If yes, Will he get more benefit than us by doing his own work comparing to the rest of us ?
3. What tips to be good at studying ESL cause I'm currently band 4 in ESL and really get struck on the essay writing and how to adapt the question. ?
4. Any recommendations for studying ESL online for AOS Discovery for China Coin book and all ESL stuffs?
5. Should I learn to use more academic words in my essay or strongly focus on the structure of the essay ? ( I'm looking for a high band 5 ESL for my HSC)

APPRECIATE ALL OF YOUR RECOMMENDATIONS !!

Dabeast

HSC
Thanks a lot for your reply and I'm pretty sure we haven't had economics at our school for several years now. Also, the only teacher who can teacher economics is also my business studies teacher and the last band 6 we had in it was almost 2 years ago.

Dabeast

HSC
I hope and want to do goodd in it and I hope my motivational drive doesn't burn out by the end of this year. Also thanks a lot for your reply.

phat_tar

HSC
Uni Grad
Thanks a lot for your reply and I'm pretty sure we haven't had economics at our school for several years now. Also, the only teacher who can teacher economics is also my business studies teacher and the last band 6 we had in it was almost 2 years ago.
Are the band 6s in the other subjects similar? It was quite the opposite at my school where 30-45% of the business cohort achieved band 6s.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)