[HELP!] I want to move to a selective school. (1 Viewer)

Accurate

clix
HSC
Hey guys I'm currently in Year 9, and it's the start of the Year for me, my school right now is very bad, I don't like it one bit, it's around the 400 rank mark which is of course terrible. I want to really move to a selective school like Girraween, Sydney Tech or Fort Street by the time im in year 11.

I really don't want my ATAR or HSC mark to be scaled down because of my crappy cohort ;( I regret being a very lazy person in Year 6, i really regret it, probably the worst decision of my life. I hate my school so much it's just that i really want to move and feel bad everyday because I will get bad in HSC.

I don't know how to get in though, how hard the test will be, what my report should look like, how many extra curricular should i have, should i include NAPLAN. I do have a few distinctions in competitions and credits, a couple of extra curricular and am trying to get everything Band 10 in NAPLAN this year (I hope it succeeds).

If somebody could shed some light on this, it would be so great.

captainhelium

water enthusiast
HSC
To be honest, if you can come first in all your subjects in Year 12, your cohort at your current school won't drag you down in terms of HSC marks and ATAR - the only way they might 'drag you down' could possibly be through a lack of academic motivation within the grade whereas if you go to a selective school, everyone there would be trying their best which can push others to try harder.

Also, in selective schools, you probably wouldn't have as much pressure in coming first in your school assessments. Generally if you come in maybe the top 15ish percent of your cohort for a particular subject, you will most likely be safe in terms of your cohort affecting you and you may be even lifted up - however, I have heard differing stories about cohort impact in selective schools. Some of my friends from selective schools have been lifted up by their cohort whereas some have been dragged down. To be honest, the extent of the cohort impacting you really depends on:
- how well you do at school in Year 12 in terms of ranking in your subjects​
- how well you do in your actual HSC exams
- how good your cohort performs in general in the HSC exams​

And in terms of applying, I assume that NAPLAN results and distinctions in other things such as competitions would definitely help. Also, I think some schools are really looking into your extra-curricular stuff more now such as music, sport and volunteering so that would be important I guess.

Hope that helped haha

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)