Scaling, cohort and internals? (1 Viewer)

doggossigh

HSC
How important is the scaling of the subjects you pick? I'm currently in year 11 but this is what I want to do for HSC:
Adv Eng
Ext 1 Eng
Ext 2 Eng
Chem
Bio
Mod His

These are generally pretty high scaling I think, but how important would is it actually? Would it be better to pick a better scaling subject than a worse scaled subject if I'm equally skilled at both?

Also, how important is your cohort? I moved schools to a top 10 school from a top 30, is the change worth it for the cohort? Also I was previously top 15 in the majority of my subjects, I'm most likely going to drop those ranks since I'm in a much stronger school, but would it be better to be the top of a good school or the average of a top school?

Thanks so much for any input, would really help me out!

ichila101

Split arrowhead
HSC
Uni Grad
How important is the scaling of the subjects you pick? I'm currently in year 11 but this is what I want to do for HSC:
Adv Eng
Ext 1 Eng
Ext 2 Eng
Chem
Bio
Mod His

These are generally pretty high scaling I think, but how important would is it actually? Would it be better to pick a better scaling subject than a worse scaled subject if I'm equally skilled at both?
If by equally skilled you mean youd get the same marks whether you did the worse or better scaled subjects then yes the better scaled subject will do you more benefit.

Also, how important is your cohort? I moved schools to a top 10 school from a top 30, is the change worth it for the cohort? Also I was previously top 15 in the majority of my subjects, I'm most likely going to drop those ranks since I'm in a much stronger school, but would it be better to be the top of a good school or the average of a top school?

Being the top of a good school is better than being average in a top school (of course this is more dictated by the marks you get which are irrelevant to the ranking of the school).

pikachu975

Premium Member
HSC
Adv Eng
Ext 1 Eng
Ext 2 Eng
Chem
Bio
Mod His

High scaling due to equally skilled, and also school doesn't matter

Fizzy_Cyst

HSC
Uni Grad
Adv Eng
Ext 1 Eng
Ext 2 Eng

Chem
Bio
Mod His

These are generally pretty high scaling I think, but how important would is it actually?

Rly?

:haha:

captainhelium

water enthusiast
HSC
If you're equally skilled in both (which I assume means that you'll get similar marks), then it would probably be better to pick the better scaling subject to maximise your ATAR. Just remember that scaling for each subject differs each year and depends on how the NSW cohort in that subject performed when compared to the performance in their other subjects (hence the reason why subjects like Chemistry and Physics tend to alternate sometimes each year in terms of which scales higher). You can check UAC's website on scaling for further information.

http://www.uac.edu.au/atar/calculation/scaling.shtml

I can't really give a straight direct answer to that. Top schools will most likely push you up in terms of school assessment rank with the general rule of thumb that you're somewhere above average I think. However, I presume that being top in a good school will result in you being less affected by the cohort.

And also, if you come first in your class then you won't be dragged down by your school assessment mark in the HSC. You'll get the same mark as your HSC examination mark or possibly even get lifted up from the school assessment mark.

However, despite all that, I wouldn't really worry about what school you go to. Your willingness to do your best is more important I reckon.

Last edited:

Lilabear

HSC
Being the top of a good school is better than being average in a top school (of course this is more dictated by the marks you get which are irrelevant to the ranking of the school).[/QUOTE]

Really? I always thought being in a better school would always be better for you marks?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)