Is this an opportunity I should take? (1 Viewer)

sadhipsterllama

HSC
Hello all,

I've been offered the opportunity to attend a leadership course/camp (for a promotion in rank at Army Cadets [which will also look very good for future scholarship applications and resumes]) after which I will be eligible for 3 bonus ATAR points.

However, this means that I will miss about a week's worth of study time quite close to the trial HSC. I should in theory be more than ready when that time comes, however a week extra to stay home instead and study will provide more peace of mind.

The university I am looking to get into only accepts a maximum of 5 bonus ATAR points, and I am confident that I will get at least a band 4 (ie. at least 1 bonus point) in four of the subjects I am currently studying.

My dilemma is: should I work for the promotion and secure the title and the 3 bonus points, or should I dedicate myself more to study in order to boost my marks/bands as high as I possibly can?

HSC
Army Cadets is an opportunity too good to pass out on imo. Even if you don't make it into your course, you can transfer later on BUT you'll still have the camp to attach to your resume which is invaluable for later employment. You're only missing out on a week anyway; nothing too detrimental. Good luck!

Katsumi

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
HSC
N/A
Take the cadet's opportunity and adjust your study schedule to accommodate for the gap. It will be very hard work but the benefits will outweigh the cost.

• The 3 bonus points will greatly assist your entrance into a university course of your choosing.
  • Employers look very favorably on strong extra-curricular's, especially those that show your ability to work as a leader and within a team environment. This won't only help you with cadetships, co-op programs & internships but with securing a job post-university as well. It's something that will set you apart from every other bright eyed graduate with "motivation" and "the ability to learn quickly".

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)