failed selective test (1 Viewer)

somarad

HSC
N/A
Hi,

My kid failed the most recent selective placement test and he is really having a hard time accepting it. He wanted to know though if there is still a chance for him to get into selective school. Anyone who can share their experience about failing and then eventually getting accepted at a latter stage?

c8

HSC
if you are talking about the year 7 test, don't worry about it! there are still may oppurtunities to apply for selective schools in years 8-11 and there are also a lot of good private and public schools to get into. is he on any reserve lists? selective schools are also not always better than comprehensive schools and are far more competitive so it should be fine

MONONYMOUS

HSC
Some selective schools offer tests for placement into year 8, 9, 10 and 11 as well as year 7. My local one offers that. He might find that he likes it in a normal public high school though.

integral95

HSC
Yeah and even if you don't make it, it's not the end of the world, not even close.
I failed to make it to a selective school back in year 6, and also failed to transfer in subsequent years (although some schools had me on the "reserved" list),mainly because I'm just terrible at english and essay writings.
I won't lie, going to a comprehensive school wasn't the most pleasant experience with some of the drop kicks around, but I didn't let that deter me from my studies. Fast forward to now, I'm just about to finish my double degree of Math/Economics at UNSW yay.

So tell your kid to not give up hope, I would say it's definitely possible to transfer into a selective school (and even perform better than their peers!), however the chances aren't high so don't expect much, just work hard at your current school and it's fine. As c8 mentioned above, it's not necessarily a good thing.

Shazzaaa

HSC
Transferring into a selective school later on is definitely possible! Like others have stated above, there are plenty of opportunities from years 8-11. You should be able to find the information for trying out available under the enrolment tab of the respective school's website. From personal experience, I transferred from a comprehensive school to a selective school for year 10, and then changed to another the following year. I reckon your son/daughter should be able to maximise their chances of getting in by having a well-rounded school life (i.e. extracurriculars and volunteering) and a good academic report.

However, going to a selective school doesn't guarantee anything (apart from a more competitive study environment, which has its own perks) because it's ultimately up to the individual to perform well in the HSC. You can always get a great ATAR at a comprehensive school! Feel free to ask if you have any other questions. :)

ahri

HSC
Yes, my friend went from a local school to a partially selective school in Year 7! I also moved schools later to a top selective school. I know people who have moved from a non selective school to James Ruse, so it's fine!

enoilgam

HSC
However, going to a selective school doesn't guarantee anything (apart from a more competitive study environment, which has its own perks) because it's ultimately up to the individual to perform well in the HSC. You can always get a great ATAR at a comprehensive school! Feel free to ask if you have any other questions. :)
This pretty much - I wouldn't worry too much, the most important thing is that they go to a decent high school that they enjoy. Ive been out of school for a long time now and looking back, this sort of thing is so minor and inconsequential. It amazes me how people worry about stuff like this when there are so many other factors key to success.

thinkinboufuture113

HSC
I failed my test to selective highschool entry so badly! I then applied in year 9 to gain entry for year 10 and got in. I'm pretty sure they have changed application process now (well at least for my school) but i just had to hand in my reports and achievements. Now to gain entry into any year you have to do a test. Tell him to work hard on his naplan (i know this sucks because naplan is the most pointless thing ever) but schools love to see good naplan results. Long story short tell him not to worry about it, if hes smart he will probably be at the top of all his subjects anyway. Also selective highschool is so competive from year 7 which is ridiculous so he will probably enjoy his experience at the school he goes to anyway. I am now in year 11at selective about to do my prelims and I'm ranked in the top 15 for all my subjects.

somarad

HSC
N/A
if you are talking about the year 7 test, don't worry about it! there are still may oppurtunities to apply for selective schools in years 8-11 and there are also a lot of good private and public schools to get into. is he on any reserve lists? selective schools are also not always better than comprehensive schools and are far more competitive so it should be fine
Thanks for your reply. Really appreciate it. Yes I am talking about the most recent year 7 selective test. Unfortunately, he didn't even make it to reserve list. He did very well in maths and general ability but he did so bad in english.

And yeah, that's what exactly what i told him... that he still has a chance although i also told him not to expect much as it won't be easy. Regardless of the school, he still needs to work hard and be the best that he can be.

Right now he is enrolled at a catholic school for boys. He said he still wants to try again in year 8. Part of me wants to discourage him as I don't think I can bear to see him sad in case he still does not make it.

somarad

HSC
N/A
Some selective schools offer tests for placement into year 8, 9, 10 and 11 as well as year 7. My local one offers that. He might find that he likes it in a normal public high school though.
I enrolled him in catholic school for boys. I am hoping that he will be happy there.

somarad

HSC
N/A
Yeah and even if you don't make it, it's not the end of the world, not even close.
I failed to make it to a selective school back in year 6, and also failed to transfer in subsequent years (although some schools had me on the "reserved" list),mainly because I'm just terrible at english and essay writings.
I won't lie, going to a comprehensive school wasn't the most pleasant experience with some of the drop kicks around, but I didn't let that deter me from my studies. Fast forward to now, I'm just about to finish my double degree of Math/Economics at UNSW yay.

So tell your kid to not give up hope, I would say it's definitely possible to transfer into a selective school (and even perform better than their peers!), however the chances aren't high so don't expect much, just work hard at your current school and it's fine. As c8 mentioned above, it's not necessarily a good thing.

Thank you! Really appreciate it. I have been telling that to him exactly. REgardless of the school, he will need to work hard.

somarad

HSC
N/A
Transferring into a selective school later on is definitely possible! Like others have stated above, there are plenty of opportunities from years 8-11. You should be able to find the information for trying out available under the enrolment tab of the respective school's website. From personal experience, I transferred from a comprehensive school to a selective school for year 10, and then changed to another the following year. I reckon your son/daughter should be able to maximise their chances of getting in by having a well-rounded school life (i.e. extracurriculars and volunteering) and a good academic report.

Thank you. I am praying that my son will actually perform better with a more well rounded education in the catholic school i enrolled him in.

somarad

HSC
N/A
I failed my test to selective highschool entry so badly! I then applied in year 9 to gain entry for year 10 and got in. I'm pretty sure they have changed application process now (well at least for my school) but i just had to hand in my reports and achievements. Now to gain entry into any year you have to do a test. Tell him to work hard on his naplan (i know this sucks because naplan is the most pointless thing ever) but schools love to see good naplan results. Long story short tell him not to worry about it, if hes smart he will probably be at the top of all his subjects anyway. Also selective highschool is so competive from year 7 which is ridiculous so he will probably enjoy his experience at the school he goes to anyway. I am now in year 11at selective about to do my prelims and I'm ranked in the top 15 for all my subjects.
Thank you for your story. This is such an inspiring story I can share to my son.

Young Laflame

HSC
This is so funny considering the dux of our grade got 160 in his selective score then transferred over to our selective in year 9 and is literally destroying everyone. Hard work beats talent that hardly works. This bloke i'm talking about literally inspire me everyday.Tell em to keep grinding.

somarad

HSC
N/A
This is so funny considering the dux of our grade got 160 in his selective score then transferred over to our selective in year 9 and is literally destroying everyone. Hard work beats talent that hardly works. This bloke i'm talking about literally inspire me everyday.Tell em to keep grinding.
Thank you for your story. I will share this with my son.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)