Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By _Anonymous

Thread: Failing year 11 to doing okay in year 12?

c8
    Cadet
    HSC

Failing year 11 to doing okay in year 12?

Hi guys,

I'm not doing too great in year 11. I'm failing maybe half of my subjects and the other half I've just barely scraped through. I have a lot of determination but just zero motivation. I know I'm capable of doing better but I just would like to know if anyones gone or going through something similar. Do you know anyone or have you gone from doing pretty bad in year 11 to doing okay in year 12?

Thank you!

HSC

Re: Failing year 11 to doing okay in year 12?

You'll be fine. Motivation sorta picks up when you're in Year 12 cause you know everything counts. Just make sure you know your fundamentals from Y11 cause you may need some knowledge from Y11 to do well in Y12.
    pikachu975 likes this.

HSC

Re: Failing year 11 to doing okay in year 12?

Quote Originally Posted by c8 View Post
    Hi guys,

I'm not doing too great in year 11. I'm failing maybe half of my subjects and the other half I've just barely scraped through. I have a lot of determination but just zero motivation. I know I'm capable of doing better but I just would like to know if anyones gone or going through something similar. Do you know anyone or have you gone from doing pretty bad in year 11 to doing okay in year 12?

Thank you!
    Well I didn't do badly in year 11 but I did improve from year 11 to year 12, because in year 11 I was first in 2U maths only, like 6th in physics, 2nd or 3rd in biology (at year 11 half yearly I was like 16th physics 5th biology) but then in year 12 I was first in 3u 4u maths, biology, and physics. I think my most key tip is to focus on WHY you did bad in year 12 and implement new strategies for year 12. For biology/physics I just didn't study enough so I just studied more for those. For maths I looked at what worked which was understanding the content first so I could easily solve harder problems, so then 3u and 4u were easier. For english memorising essays worked but when I got to year 12 I started doing badly, but after doing badly my feedback was to implement the question more in my essay, so I memorised quotes instead and improved greatly. In 4u maths I got like 78 in my last trial and knew my problem was not being able to solve the hard questions, so I tried to look at past paper answers and think WHY they used that method and what strategies I could use to solve it next time, not just "oh yeah I get it" and move on.

So yep my biggest tip is always keep improving on mistakes and reflecting on your feedback and you should improve

EDIT: Also work with your peers, even though I was doing really good in biology I still asked the most questions in biology group chat so NEVER be afraid to ask questions since it doesn't just help you, it helps others by testing their knowledge.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Buy my books/notes cheaply here!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Uni Course: Actuarial Studies and Statistics at MQ -- PM me if you have questions

2017 HSC Subjects: Eng Adv / 3u+4u Maths / Bio /Phys
    ATAR: 99.75

Thread Information