SDD scaling for this year (1 Viewer)

blah

I am blah
HSC
Hey im doing accelerated sdd this year and im jus wondering if the the scaling for sdd would be fixed up this year.

coz from wot ive heard it was pretty hard done last year.

and btw sdd is so bloody hard, becoz for most skools like mine, theyre isnt a teacher that is really familiar with this subject and the students really have to studying the whole course on their own :(

T

tactic

ahhh the memories of how we were rorted last year.. you do well in a hard subject and you still get screwed over by BOS/UAC

Morgues

My teacher says they will increase the number of people getting band 6 but I am not sure if the scaling will be better because apparently that depends on the candidature

After playing with Lazseeker it seems last year you would be better off doing business studies compared to SDD which is just stupid

Lazarus

Retired
HSC
That's right... the number of people in band 6 have nothing to do with the scaling for the course.

If you want SDD to be scaled higher, you'll have to get all the students doing it to go comparatively better in all of their other courses.

hurrotisrobbo

Cabbage
HSC
Oh well. I console myself with the fact that, no matter how much I worry, or petition, it's going to have no effect.

#8(

blah

I am blah
HSC
how cum it gets scaled down anyway?

wot makes a subject scaled up? if it is hard like 4u maths?

coz i certainly think sdd is pretty hard compared to alot of other subjects

Morgues

It is hard however it seems unlike the other hard subjects SDD doesn't have a strong candidature for example it seems many people who do 4 unit maths dont do SDD
So while SDD does require a lot of effort put into it to do well it is not rewarded like the other hard subjects such as physics (which in my opinion is actually easier then SDD), but thats based on last year......might be different this time around

blah

I am blah
HSC
so ur saying that sdd is not scaled up becoz most of the students doing it are in a way not the smart ones?

blah

I am blah
HSC
i can undertand the logic behind that

but they cant jus assume that if "techier" ones do sdd as well that they will do better than us.

maybe they wont, maybe they are very good at learning all the other subjects but not computer related ones. and thats y they didnt choose it

Morgues

Well in my school only 11 do SDD, 6 do 4 unit, 2 do 3 unit, 3 do 2 unit
At my school most of the average students chose IPT.....guess its different state wide though

blake

Thats kind of dumb, what if people doing 4u maths are shit in other subjects? that means that 4u maths scales fuck all?

I doubt thats how it works :/

del

HSC
N/A
i've been told sorta by some teachers that's how it works....
how the ppl in that course did in the rest of their subjects has some impact on the scaling....or something like that

hmm in my class:
one 4 unit-er, three 3 unit-ers, one 2 unit, one general.....

do0d

but why should a harder subject mean that it should get scaled more?
which is harder studies in society or 4u math?
biz study or sdd?
i for one would fail biz while i did excell in sdd
does that mean coz im better at things most others arent and vice versa i hsould be scaled higher?

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
Originally posted by tactic
ahhh the memories of how we were rorted last year.. you do well in a hard subject and you still get screwed over by BOS/UAC
I kno wat u mean...BOS should look at the actual difficulty of the course as well the canditure ability

blah

I am blah
HSC
u kno how they look at the candidature by looking at how well they did in their other subjects which affects the scaling, how would they do that for accelerated students?

or do they jus leave us out

Morgues

blah from what i understand they dont look at each person individually but the whole sdd group as a whole

blah

I am blah
HSC
okies

so in affect the accelerated ppl wont be part of this group rite?

Morgues

not 100% sure but my guess is that the accelerated group form such a small % of the whole candidature that no they wouldnt count

Lazarus

Retired
HSC
Thats kind of dumb, what if people doing 4u maths are shit in other subjects? that means that 4u maths scales fuck all?
That's correct, and it's happened before - in 1989, 4u maths was actually scaled down!

but why should a harder subject mean that it should get scaled more?
It's not how difficult a course is, it's how difficult it is to beat other students doing that course.

I kno wat u mean...BOS should look at the actual difficulty of the course as well the canditure ability
This was how it used to be done (before 1985). Such measures of 'course difficulty' though are completely subjective and are not statistically valid. Who is to say whether biology is harder than business studies? Is an apple better than an orange? It doesn't take into account the ability of the course candidature, which is why the current system was implemented.

I think the scaling alogorithm takes into account that students are doing subjects they're either good at or enjoy, so they won't score as highly if they did another subject, y, they don't enjoy and a person doing subject y, won't do as well in subject x. That way, no one is disadvantaged for doing 'lesser' subjects.
Sort of. Students who do courses that they're either good at or enjoy will tend to go better than students who don't. However, it is obviously impossible to accurately and objectively measure how much a student 'enjoys' a course, etc. The scaling algorithms look at how students performed in all the courses they took and use statistical averages to determine whether a given candidature is 'more' or 'less' able.

u kno how they look at the candidature by looking at how well they did in their other subjects which affects the scaling, how would they do that for accelerated students?
As far as I know, accelerated students would still be included in this process. If they are only accelerating a single course, their course average will simply be the HSC mark they attained in that course. As Morgues said, because they form such a small minority of the candidature, any difference would be negligible.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)