Some advice for HSC Students (1 Viewer)

mattsta

hahaha
HSC
First of all, I have not done the HSC (yet) but I have done some university subjects as an associate student, so im not that wet behind the ears.

But heres some advice for your exams.

1. Don't take caffeine pills to help you study, they won't work and in fact they will cause you not to learn anything at all.

2. Do not take dexamphetamine or ritalin if it is not prescribed to you. If you don't have ADHD it will not work and it will infact have an opposite reaction in you (e.g. you won't be able to reason with reality). You won't be able to study properly.

3. Rather than doing nothing every night, study at least one subject for 1 hour per night. Make sure you include all your subjects over the week. Cramming in the last week before the exams won't help if you have not done the study before hand. Cramming at the most will only get you a band three.

4. Make sure you get eight hours sleep per night. Easier said than done, but studies have shown that the brain uses sleep as a way of processing the information that has been learnt in the day before. Information needs to be processed in order to make sense. SLEEP ON YOUR PROBLEMS, you may actually benefit from it.

~*HSC 4 life*~

HSC
N/A
cramming works, for me, especiaslly like in english when u need to memorise essays...so non eof this band 3 shit :p

sam04u

Comrades, Comrades!
HSC
wtff?? how do you memorise an essay dont you think you would benefit more from actually knowing how to write your own one?

wanton-wonton

HSC
mattsta said:
3. Rather than doing nothing every night, study at least one subject for 1 hour per night. Make sure you include all your subjects over the week. Cramming in the last week before the exams won't help if you have not done the study before hand. Cramming at the most will only get you a band three.

I agree with everything except for "Cramming at the most will only get you a band three."

I studied my maths ext. 1 yearly last night stayed up to 1 (wasting time+studying at same time), woke up at 8 (7 hours of sleep), and I did fine today...well at the moment I think I did fine...Maybe a high band 5 or low band 6? (it's not banded, its out of 72, i may get 65 if im lucky).

-blueblue-

hey!
HSC
N/A
sam04u said:
wtff?? how do you memorise an essay dont you think you would benefit more from actually knowing how to write your own one?
Memorise can work well. I memorised a large one for history ( 5000) then for every test I just re wrote part of it

hipsta_jess

Up the mighty red V
HSC
N/A
mattsta said:
4. Make sure you get eight hours sleep per night. Easier said than done, but studies have shown that the brain uses sleep as a way of processing the information that has been learnt in the day before. Information needs to be processed in order to make sense. SLEEP ON YOUR PROBLEMS, you may actually benefit from it.
I never truly knew what sleep deprivation was until this year.

dangerousdave

HSC
mattsta said:
What if you cant sleep, any suggestions for that?

frodo

MAINTAIN THE RAGE
HSC
try and get some regular exercise so that your body is physically tired, not just mentally.

make sure you have good breaks and rewards that you can look forward to

mattynew

HSC
mattsta said:
1. Don't take caffeine pills to help you study, they won't work and in fact they will cause you not to learn anything at all.
your an idiot. what the hell is the point of telling people things that are obviously not true.

circusmind

HSC
mattsta said:
First of all, I have not done the HSC (yet) but I have done some university subjects as an associate student, so im not that wet behind the ears.

But heres some advice for your exams.

2. Do not take dexamphetamine or ritalin if it is not prescribed to you. If you don't have ADHD it will not work and it will infact have an opposite reaction in you (e.g. you won't be able to reason with reality). You won't be able to study properly.

I HAVE done the HSC. I advise you to cram like hell and don't sleep if necessary. Caffeine is your best friend. Don't shave during the HSC period at all, to really get that 'I'm bordering on complete mental breakdown' look.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)