shuld i do 4u? :S (1 Viewer)

>monkey<

HSC
hey guys i neeed sum advice
im tossing up between 4u maths and economics?? wat shuld i dooo?? is 4u gonna eat my time or wat?
thanx

Supra

secksy beast
HSC
depends on ur ability in maths and ur thinking skills

Jebu

4u is good because integration, harder 3u (inequalities, induction, circles), polynomials and some other topics are also explored simplified in 3u. I didn't really do much 3u at all over the year, and just tended to pick alot of it up for 4u. But the tests are hard; theres a reason it gets scaled so high. The thing about 4u is that 2 units count for 3u, and 2 for 4u (rather than 2 for 2u, and 1 for 3u), which means you get good scaling for all 4 units, as opposed to 2.

I'd reccomend it because i enjoy maths, but dont expect to be getting great marks; it can take time and effort to comprehend the ideas, and unless your adept at maths, you will struggle.

hasterz

HSC
imo 4 unit math is one of those subjects where if have doubts about doing it then you shouldnt be doing it. 4 unit math is for the ethusiastic people and people who are really dedicated.

If you do 4 unit math and want to get good, expect to study 4 hours math per day

20 min - 2unit topics

40 min - 3 unit topics

approx 3 hours - 4 unit topics

FinalFantasy

HSC
if ur a logical type of person then take the maths... if ur an english type of person or u like subjects where u just "remember everything" then go for da other one=P

KeypadSDM

B4nn3d
HSC
hasterz said:
imo 4 unit math is one of those subjects where if have doubts about doing it then you shouldnt be doing it. 4 unit math is for the ethusiastic people and people who are really dedicated.

If you do 4 unit math and want to get good, expect to study 4 hours math per day

20 min - 2unit topics

40 min - 3 unit topics

That's a bit extreme, I'm sure no one spends that much time on maths. Or they just don't sleep.
If you want to do well in 4 unit, be prepared to fall asleep doing past papers, alot of them. Upwards of 50.

xiaojia

HSC
well, it seems that you have to spend at least 2 hr every day for 4U math, but I suppose that still not enough -_-+

mojako

HSC
it depends on ur.. natural maths talent.

the talented ones dont really study and dont do too many past papers
but there are "ordinary" people who do soo many questions and/or past papers and end up doing well, or even better than some of the talented ones who dont study. and by ordinary I dont mean the average ppl... I mean the somewhat above average of the 4U candidature. also by well I mean.. maybe 85/120 in the HSC exam, and HSC exam is a lot harder than most trials and internal assessments. 85/120 in HSC may correspond to.. 90% in normal assessment in an average school.

probably most ppl who do well do... 5 hrs a week outside class time for the ext2 component. just a guess though.

Last edited:

Dumbarse

hasterz said:

20 min - 2unit topics

40 min - 3 unit topics

u are kidding yourself if u did that much work everyday

u are gunna struggle with uni maths if u needed to study that much to do 4u

grimreaper

HSC
hasterz said:

20 min - 2unit topics

40 min - 3 unit topics

pfffft thats way too much, dont scare the guy :p. Just put in as much work as you need to to fully understand every topic as you do it - should only be max an hour a night, then start doing past papers as exams come up, which might be > an hour a night

*girl04*

hey every1, how r u?
HSC
N/A
>monkey< said:
im tossing up between 4u maths and economics?? wat shuld i dooo?? is 4u gonna eat my time or wat?
thanx

what were your prelim marks/ranks for maths and eco?

Do you prefer maths or eco?

If you are better at one and like it better, obviously that one.
Others wise you have a tough choice! gd luck

pitted

HSC
N/A
hey i did maths and eco...

id suggest you do both (if you can hack it and if u r allowed....) neway aside from that i would say i am a below average 4U maths student....expect ppl on this site getn >85 easy....the really smart ppl go on this site (and some of us dumb ones as well)

that said though...my friend said he had answered bout 75 marks (yeah he is smart...but we are from "the low socio-economic areas..." i.e. anywhere but sydney. i answered about 66 marks thinking of at least 50/120 (fingers crossed)

neway...if it came down to the crunch do 4U it may b more work but it scales well, it helps you with 3U and its just an extension not an entirely differnt sub...

however if u hate maths dont do it...you will probably go worse than me...maybe

ciao

psych_girl

HSC
>monkey< said:
thanx
I got the same problem with you when i did my year 12 sub choice last year. finally, i gave up economic coz i hate eassy writing beacuse i am not an english native speaker. so it is not surprized that my essay is not good enough....and I really enjoy studying 4U math...Its great coz i love math.....4U is great...it is not only for scalin is good but also the topics are interesting except motion....I give up this topic when i finished my trial....I still dealed with other 6 topics. I really love it......I think if your 3U is good...I suggested that you'd better do 4U maths instead of doin economics......although both of them are scaled up, 4U's scaling is the top as everyone knows.....GOOD LUCK!

psych_girl

HSC
lol

grimreaper said:
pfffft thats way too much, dont scare the guy :p. Just put in as much work as you need to to fully understand every topic as you do it - should only be max an hour a night, then start doing past papers as exams come up, which might be > an hour a night
If you are doin 4U math. You need to do 2U and 3U, how can you only use 1hour per day? you should be someone who is really really extremely smart, aren't you? Tell you what? My 4U is good, but i use at least 3 hours doin math everyday ( school space time + 2hours at home) Coz at school, i only do english, biology and math,chemistry.....I got saturday chinese school......so much space time at school.....

psych_girl

HSC
hasterz said:

20 min - 2unit topics

40 min - 3 unit topics

That is what i m doin everyday

45 min 2U/3U math
2hour30min 4U math
1hour30min science subs
1hour30min languages (english and chinese BS)
I alway begin to study without school from 4:00pm~6:30pm then, get dinner done,from 7:00pm~10:30pm, 11:00pm went to bed......( this is my time mangement this year), in term 1 year 12......I didn't do any work on 2U/3U topics...much more time focus on 4U.....so I go ahead by myself for integration topic...lol...find ezier this year......

Last edited:

grimreaper

HSC
psych_girl said:
That is what i m doin everyday

45 min 2U/3U math
2hour30min 4U math
1hour30min science subs
I alway begin to study without school from 4:00pm~6:30pm then, get dinner done,from 7:00pm~10:30pm, 11:00pm went to bed......( this is my time mangement this year), in term 1 year 12......I didn't do any work on 2U/3U topics...much more time focus on 4U.....so I go ahead by myself for integration topic...lol...find ezier this year......
god i never did nearly that much study, even leading up to exams. And yes, I guess I'm just lucky with maths - I dont have to put in 3 hours/day to get good marks. However I was doing a lot of past papers leading up to the hsc. I guess it just depends on how lucky you are with maths as to how you study.... but then I suck at english so it all evens out heheh.

HSC
i done economics this year for HSC i gotta say it can get boring sometimes but its a real benefit if your into humanity subjects because economics issues absolutely dominate everyday life, you will become well informed and be able to interpret implications of economics issues...it ain't that hard anyway if your commited, plus some of its interesting, such as environmental economics, coz its easy lol..

on the other hand, 4 unit maths is very prestigous but also depends on your mathematics ability if your don't usually get above 95% in 2 unit you should stick to economics, not as much work involved

Trev

stix
HSC
psych_girl said:
45 min 2U/3U math
2hour30min 4U math
1hour30min science subs
how the hell could u do that?! i do less work in all my subs than u do in 4u math (and i even do 4u math) r u at some boarding school that forces you to work that much?

psych_girl

HSC
:)

Trev said:
how the hell could u do that?! i do less work in all my subs than u do in 4u math (and i even do 4u math) r u at some boarding school that forces you to work that much?
Coz our teacher is so..........She checked our work every week...We must study hard otherwise....will fail HSC :)(just jokin) Math is a sub that you must work always, not like economics......then....so, yeah, I put so much time on it....anyway, all is past....:):):)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)