Lazseeker & Standard English (1 Viewer)

-=AETOS=-

Hi people.

I was just wondering why laz seeker scales up my english standard mark? This dosnt really happen in the real thing does it? I'm sure somebody has probably explained this before. But can somebody elaborate?

Thanks

Lazarus

Retired
HSC
In 2001, students who received a mark > 77 in English (Standard) had their mark scaled up.

Those students were in the top 1% of the state. Everyone else was scaled down.

Every course has at least one 'pivot mark', above which students are scaled up and below which students are scaled down. In courses such as English (Standard), the mark is relatively high so that only a minority of students are actually scaled up. It's different for every course, although some do have the top mark as the pivot mark, which essentially means everyone was scaled down anyway.

There was a point somewhere in there.

If you're interested in finding out pivot marks, check out -
http://lazseekeronline.cjb.net/splines/

There's a graph for every course, and the points of intersection between the aligned and scaled lines represent pivot marks. (The x-axis is the percentile and the y-axis is the mark on a 1-unit basis)

-=AETOS=-

Thats pretty good news then. I'm about 83-84 for standard english in terms of overall assesment mark. What would that mean when it comes to HSC and UAI calculations? If standard does get scaled up like that why do advanced then?

Thanks

Lazarus

Retired
HSC
It would mean nothing, because only your rank counts.

You do advanced because it's damn hard to come in the top 1% of the state. Being placed in the top 25% of the state for advanced was equivalent to the top 1% of the state for standard, last year. Top 50% for advanced was equivalent to the top 8% for standard. Top 75% for advanced was equivalent to the top 18% for standard.

You can see the advantage.

Angelic_Angel88

Miss Guided
HSC
Originally posted by Lazarus
Being placed in the top 25% of the state for advanced was equivalent to the top 1% of the state for standard, last year. Top 50% for advanced was equivalent to the top 8% for standard. Top 75% for advanced was equivalent to the top 18% for standard.
Wow! Now I see why a lot of people have been saying that they should've chosen Advanced English.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)