Lazarus Help me out with a Q? (1 Viewer)

etc

Laz

Im doing terrible @ school, im getting 40's & 50's in all my assesment marks and all my mates are dropping out because they dont see the point of staying on if assesment marks are work 50% of the UAI. See, i know if i study i can go well, but is there any point? I wouldn't bother for anything less than 80% as a UAI but i dont see how i could achieve that since out of 50 marks i will get probably 20-30 marks (if im lucky) - that is all my internal assesments summed up out of 50. Now i know if i study hard for the HSC i can go well probably get 80's in all my exams (maybe one or two low 90's) but i dont want to bother wasting my time if i cant get a 80 UAI because i can be doing more productive things with my life, its just not worth anything less than 80? I go to a public school, so the people in my year aren't no barker apple sauce tech-heads or like those pretty boy poofters up at shore with there little boaters HAHAHAHA look anyway im getting takin off the subject, out of your opinion which i believe has a comprehensive understanding of the calculation of the UAI, what chance do i have of getting a 80 + UAI. Please dont try and boost my confidence by saying yes when there is only a minor chance that i can achieve this as i can be doing more productive things right now... but would really appreciate an HONEST opinion.. and if so, can you give me a probability, or a guideline of what i would have to achieve, or you could just simply say i have an ok change, a good change, a really good change, or no change... simple, english.

Anyway, i would really appreciate the response, im sorry about the length of this message i just realised...

CHOW

Lee

chow...hehe...it's ciao by the way...anyway, i know you asked for laz's opinion, but al i want to know is why you think thee is nothing out there for a uai below 80????? i will be lucky to get 80
fGs!!! there is heaps you can do in all fields! what would you do otherwise?

Lazarus

Retired
HSC
To begin with, your assessment marks count for nothing. Zero. Nada. Zilch. It's all based on your assessment ranking.

I can't even begin to guess at your chances without more information - such as each of your subject rankings and an estimate of the average exam mark for each of your classes, as well as an estimate of the top exam mark.

blake

Just a question, what does ranking count to the uai? is it important? and if it is, why isnt it part of the larzseeker? :)

Lazarus

Retired
HSC
Your assessment ranking is part of what is used to determine your moderated assessment mark. Your moderated assessment marks constitute 50% of your final UAI.

LazSeeker uses HSC marks, which are the average of aligned exam marks and moderated assessment marks, thus indirectly taking into account assessment rankings via the use of the latter.

blake

So do the BOS or the UAC calculate your moderated assessment mark? Don't BOS stop the moderating the marks now or something?

Lazarus

Retired
HSC
Both.

The BOS calculates your moderated assessment mark according to aligned exam marks, and that's what shows up on your certificates etc.

In the creation of your UAI, your moderated assessment marks are recalculated according to raw exam marks.

The BOS didn't stop moderating marks... they stopped forcing them to be assigned according to a predetermined distribution (i.e. the bell curve).

etc

Laz

When i get my report this term with all my ranking details and send it to you will you be able to make a better assessed decision?

Lazarus

Retired
HSC
Yes... if you could also estimate what you think the average and top exam mark will be for each of your classes, that would be great as well.

debugz

HSC
"ciao".. maybe he didnt want to say that
maybe his name was CHow.. and he was just saying.. bye bye

maybe

ciao
De

lazychic

** hOnEy_mELdeW **
hahahaha....

soweez i jus had to laugh..at what debugz said

hahahaha...

Lee

Originally posted by debugz
"ciao".. maybe he didnt want to say that
maybe his name was CHow.. and he was just saying.. bye bye

maybe

ciao
De
maybe.....and that would be a guy thing having your 'name' as your last name.

but also, maybe not. maybe he just doesn't know italian

Lazarus

Retired
HSC
OK, people, there's a whole section on the site with explanations of how this stuff works. Please please please read through all of that before posting questions, because otherwise I end up answering the same thing fifty million times.

~ForAGoodCause~:
Depends completely on your ranking, if you're ranked first, nothing happens. Your individual exam mark does not affect your moderated assessment mark except in the way that it contributes to your class average (and/or top exam mark).

blake:
In this context, the word is 'align', not 'scale', and your exam mark is not at all affected by the performance of your classmates, regardless of your ranking and everything else.

Spike

laz i got an other hypothetical question for u.........

i did check through the site and found nothing on this (or nothing that i could understand anyway)

if there are 7 people in a class

2 of those people

are averaging about 80 for there assesments

the person who coomes first finshes with an average of 81%
the person who finshes secound gets 79%

what disadvantge does the person comming secound have

BTW the rest of the class are getting 50% averages and under

Lazarus

Retired
HSC
The document on moderating assessment marks didn't help?

The guy coming second will end up with a moderated assessment mark that is approximately 6/7 of the difference between the top exam mark and bottom exam mark for that class. Approximately. This could be lower or higher than his raw assessment mark. It will also vary up or down slightly according to the average class exam mark.

Spike

that stuff confused me

so even if the person came secound by as little margin as 2 marks they still get a 1/7 lower mark then the person who came frist

what if in the HSC exam the person who came secoudn gets the better result

sorry bout all the questions

Lazarus

Retired
HSC
It doesn't matter how close you are to someone else in the way of assessment marks - the marks don't matter! Only your ranking.

If the guy coming second gets a higher exam mark, nothing changes. It might end up being the top exam mark, which would affect the class as a whole, but it does nothing for his moderated assessment mark.

Spike

ohh i seee
i had a teacher tell us

that if u get the first ranking u get the hightest mark in the test

so like if the person who comes in secound beats u in the exam it doesnt matter because u will still get their result

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)