uai question (1 Viewer)

armenia

hey ppl i asked all around i was just wondering i wanna to b of arts/law and for that i need 90.40 at uws at the moment i do general maths,modern history,ancient history, legal studies and standard english is it possible for me to get atleast 85%?? in my uai? if not what is the highest that i could probably get as my uai thanx for your time u would help me so much if u replied with an answer bye

KingofthieF

dun no... from i know ancient history seems to get scaled pretty good...

anyway it all depends on ur ranking in the school and how well u and ur friends do in the HSC.. if you are in a selective high i'll say you can get 90 easy~~

SupaGloo

um... dont take this as definite cos this is just a wild guess

those subjects arnt too impressive but that may not be a concern if u can come top10% in the state in all ur subjects... effort effort effort n ull get there

wat ever marks that convert into depends on the candidature...

SupaGloo

dun no... from i know ancient history seems to get scaled pretty good...
u still gotta be on the good side of the average mark... more standard deviations away from the mean is better...
if u r on the wrong side of the mean... ur gonna get pounded hard

if a school is just 'selective' it doesnt mean jack all. So u were all smart in year 6... big whoop... u cud only use that as an argument if the average of the students in the hsc exam is in the 'decent-good' range in yr 12
I go to a selective... it aint auto 90+ uai thats for sure... average was 75uai for the dropkiks last yr

Kinhan

"to study or not to study, that is the question. Whether its more beneficial to the mind to suffer the hours of cruel study or to bludge and fail all exams and by failing end our pursuit of a great UAI. To pass, to fail, no more and by failing to say we end the heartache and the thousand other worries that this HSC brings forth"

Lazarus

Retired
HSC
Yes, it is very possible for you to attain a UAI of 85+... I think 95 would be about the maximum. You're probably more likely to get around 90 or 92 (providing you do well).

liz

HSC
What about subjects like standard english, food tech, software design, mathematics and physics. I know most of these subjects are low ranking but how high about in the state would i need to obtain a uai of 85+.

Lazarus

Retired
HSC
Use the advanced version of LazSeeker Online to enter different percentiles (80th percentile = top 20% of the state).

Lazarus

Retired
HSC
Only insofar that your assessment marks are moderated according to how your class performs as a group on the final HSC exam.

Your exam marks are not influenced by your school or classmates.

Kinhan

its possible

but alot depends on ur subjects

general maths will drag u down heaps...like every subject offered cept 4u maths, 3u and 4u english are scaled down

even 3u maths goes down

the school affects the scaling heaps

like thats y the better ur school does teh better ur UAI will b scaled

thats y say if u come 1st in every subject @ "extremely dumb school" ur scaling will b farked no matter how good u do

Lazarus

Retired
HSC
Err, no, the school you attend has nothing to do with the scaling for any course.

thats y say if u come 1st in every subject @ "extremely dumb school" ur scaling will b farked no matter how good u do
That's just blatantly wrong - not a shred of truth to it!

Attending a 'good' school could possibly land you with higher moderated assessment marks, but it won't make any difference to your exam marks or the scaling of the courses you do.

Kinhan

I'm saying the better your school/yr 12 grade does the better ur marks will be

Eg. James Ruse vs Mt Druitt <- sorry for comparison but ur famous

James Ruse marks tend to be higher/highest in scaling as the school does good as a whole

thats y its essentail after ur trials that u help out the dumb ones in ur grade since ranking does not matter anymore <- thats pre trials -> school mark

James Ruse 160 ppl

if 140 ppl do heaps good, and the other 20 gets fully oiwned....like 50% or some crap

the 140 ppl's marks will go down alot due to the large deviation of marks so that 20 ppl will drag down the rest

its hard to explain..im just saying....

ur marks will get scaled according to how ur school performs as a whole...mt druitt ppl will all do pretty crap for instance....their marks wouldnt get scaled up much if any

Kinhan

thats y theres that thing bout

how say...one guy

intelligence lvl 10/10

if he went to james ruse he'd end up with UAI higher than if he went to mt druitt...even if he was a smart arse

so lyk me..im a not that smart person @ james ruse.,...my estimate say 95-97

if i went to my comprhensive school say st ives high...my estmate would go down to bout 90??

Lazarus

Retired
HSC
I know what you're saying. I'm saying you're wrong.

I'm saying the better your school/yr 12 grade does the better ur marks will be
This is true only when it comes to moderating assessment marks. (Point 1)

James Ruse marks tend to be higher/highest in scaling as the school does good as a whole
No. Everyone who does Maths Ext 2 at James Ruse gets scaled the same way as everyone else in the state who does it. Students at Ruse will have higher moderated assessment marks, but their exam marks will not be altered, nor will the scaling process.

ur marks will get scaled according to how ur school performs as a whole...mt druitt ppl will all do pretty crap for instance....their marks wouldnt get scaled up much if any
See Point 1.

if 140 ppl do heaps good, and the other 20 gets fully oiwned....like 50% or some crap. the 140 ppl's marks will go down alot due to the large deviation of marks so that 20 ppl will drag down the rest
This is true (again, only for the moderation of assessment marks). The further up the ranking ladder you go, the less the students are affected by it, until you reach the top rung where students are not at all affected.

Make sure you don't confuse the moderation of assessment marks with the alignment or scaling of exam marks. There are important distinctions to be made, and the system can never be understood as a whole without them.

For your last example, if that smart guy was ranked first in all his courses at Mt Druitt, his marks would not at all be affected by the school, and he would get the same UAI as if he had gone to James Ruse.

Lazarus

Retired
HSC
(was I too harsh?)

Sorry, I have a thing against false UAI info. :p

Lazarus

Retired
HSC
bwahahahaha

feel free to be enlightened at any time. =P

liz

HSC
But doesn't your assessment mark count towards your overall mark so overall your school would affect you??

(I know you have probably answered this but just checking to confirm).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)